Stick to one type of game or experiment?

• Alexportland
      Alexportland
      Bronze
      Hi All,

Just a quick question looking for opinions,

Is it better to pick one type of game you prefer (SnG, Ring Game, heads-up, 9 Max, Hold em, Omaha, etc etc) and focus 100% of your time and energy into learninf and playing that game....

Or... Does it improve your core game to experiment with other games and mix it up a bit?

Personally I prefer 9 handed ring games, but occasionally play a low price tournament when I want to be a bit reckless and slosh chips around a bit more....Trouble is I have never looked at any strategy for tournaments and I was just about to read some of the basic articles when it occured to me that it might not be the best idea for my regular game and perhaps I should just focus my attention on one thing at a time?
  • 8 replies
    • teddykgv47
      teddykgv47
      Basic
      Hi there,

it definitely pays off to experiment -- teaches you to think in unusual patterns and boosts your analytical abilities in general. If you are a beginner, however, I recommend sticking to one type of game. Make sure you are not jumping from one type to another constantly in an attempt to avoid variance (lots of players do that actually).

Make sure you are switching for the right reasons.

Hope this helps.
    • Yoshimitsu77
      Yoshimitsu77
      Bronze
      My plan is to stick with 9 man SNG's until i feel my game is really solid and I have a decent roll, then start learning to play MTT's so I can go and pick up a WSOP bracelet.
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      if you play for fun experiment id play at whats is my best game
    • nightshades
      nightshades
      Basic
      I'd try to play every types of games.

1. Texas Hold'em No Limit
      2. Texas Hold'em Pot Limit
      3. Texas Hold'em Fixed Limit
      4. Omaha Hold'em Pot Limit
      5. Omaha Hold'em Fixed Limit
      6. Omaha Hold'em Eight-or-Better Pot Limit
      7. Omaha Hold'em Eight-or-Better Fixed Limit
      8. Stud Hi
      9. Stud Hi/Lo
      10. Razz
      11. 5 Card Draw Fixed Limit
      12. 5 Card Draw Pot Limit
      13. Deuce-to-Seven Single Draw No Limit
      14. Deuce-to-Seven Triple Draw Fixed Limit
      15. Badugi

You will be surprise to find that some of the less popular games might be your best games.
      For example, I was surprised to learn that I was a much stronger player in Lowball and Hi/Lo games than other types of games.

Beginners always start playing NLHE because its the most popular game without realizing that it's also the hardest game to master.

Unless you try them all, you will never know.
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      I dont think holdem is the hardest game to master... Its not an easy game at all, but its def not the hardest.
      Btw, you might have though you're stronger in lowball games or hi/lo also because you could have played with complete morons who dont even know the rules.
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alficor1
      I dont think holdem is the hardest game to master... Its not an easy game at all, but its def not the hardest.
      Btw, you might have though you're stronger in lowball games or hi/lo also because you could have played with complete morons who dont even know the rules.
      i agree with this, play low ball micro stakes is full of idiots that dont know how to play and are basicaly just gambling, play a horse mtt with higher stakes and it has harder opponents,

put maybe mix it up i used to hate fixed limit i thought it was for pussys then watching IHATEJUICE so much now ive actualy started to like/play FL HU and i think i'm probaly know the 2nd best FL HU player in the world ;)
    • nightshades
      nightshades
      Basic
      Originally posted by Alficor1

Being new on the forums doesn't make new to poker. I obviously know how to evaluate my play and I don't "think" i'm good at it, I know I am.
      Yeah you will sometimes play morons drawing high on a 2-7 TD but most of the time you will be facing regular players who all know how to play the game. Actually, I will face much more below average players at a NLHE micro stake than at any mixed games I play, and I play tons of mixed games. In fact, I note every players I play in mixed games and they are pretty much regulars. The field is thin and compared to the larger NLHE field, you actually can have read based on previous games.

If you don't think NLHE is the hardest game to master, maybe you could tell me which one you consider the hardest ? I still consider NLHE to be the most misplayed game ever.
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nightshades

Being new on the forums doesn't make new to poker. I obviously know how to evaluate my play and I don't "think" i'm good at it, I know I am.
      Yeah you will sometimes play morons drawing high on a 2-7 TD but most of the time you will be facing regular players who all know how to play the game. Actually, I will face much more below average players at a NLHE micro stake than at any mixed games I play, and I play tons of mixed games. In fact, I note every players I play in mixed games and they are pretty much regulars. The field is thin and compared to the larger NLHE field, you actually can have read based on previous games.

If you don't think NLHE is the hardest game to master, maybe you could tell me which one you consider the hardest ? I still consider NLHE to be the most misplayed game ever.
      I didnt react on your post because you're new here. I dont care about your status or how good you think you are.

I have experience with playing micro stakes stud hi, PLO hi, FLO8 and 2-7SD NL. From what i've seen, there's almost always at least one player at the table who has never played the game before, then there are couple of players who know just the basic rules and maybe one player who plays the game regularly.

PLO, PLO8 and stud are imo much harder to master then holdem.