This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Dodging sets

• cauelaratta
      cauelaratta
      Bronze
      Hey guys, how you doing?

Problem of the day:

I often find myself in a situation where I´m almost sure villain has a set, but my hand is simply too strong to fold and I can´t manage to control the pot size. Even though I´ve been recognizing these patterns with quite some accuracy (partypoker´s micros std: c/c flop, c/minraise turn, push river... :f_o: ), I just can´t fold strong overpairs knowing that villain is a fish and might be playing back at me with overcards or a smaller overpair. So I just push along and think: "here I go, losing my whole stack to a set again".

How do you guys deal with this kind of read? Should I fold is situations like these or is it just out of question?

Known players: (?)
      vp$ip BBvsSteal ORL RaisePreflop
      Position: Stack
      AF W$SD WTS hands
      19 100 30 8
      UTG2: $9,15
      1,7 67 26 316

Hero: $4,45

24 67 44 15
      BU: $9,13
      2,1 57 21 628

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, A (Comentar)
      UTG2 raises to $0,16, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0,39, CO folds, BU calls $0,39, 2 folds, UTG2 calls $0,23.

Flop: ($1,23) Q, J, 6 (3 players) (Comentar)
      UTG2 checks, Hero bets $0,87, BU calls $0,87, UTG2 folds.

Turn: ($2,97) 8 (2 players) (Comentar)
      Hero raises $3,19 (All-In), BU calls $3,19.

River: ($9,35) 9 (2 players) (Comentar)

Final Pot: $9,35

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Ah Ac)
      BU shows Trio, jacks (Jh Jc)

BU wins with Trio, jacks (Jh Jc)

Thanks a lot,

cauelaratta
  • 3 replies
    • cauelaratta
      cauelaratta
      Bronze
      crap, can anyone explain me how to export hands from Elephant? it seems that´s just too much technology for me.

:f_confused:
    • Bojan1983
      Bojan1983
      Bronze
      when you get a monster, just raise it real strong preflop.

The bigger preflop raise with aces is, any potential mistake on flop or turn is smaller...

Like hand above, a guy raises 16cents, reraise him to 60cents... raising to 36 is to small...
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      I'm not sure if it's worth doing that, "dodging sets" :) I mean yes, sometimes you will get collered, but more times you will punish the fishy who will be holding a top pair or even worse.
      However, if you trust your "sixth feeling" - do as it says, you will save a lot of money. Sometimes I have this "sixth feeling" telling me that even middle set or second/third nut flush is not enough to win on the flop - and surprisingly it almost never fails. But I always call and lose then of course :D