Dodging sets

• cauelaratta
      Hey guys, how you doing?

Problem of the day:

I often find myself in a situation where I´m almost sure villain has a set, but my hand is simply too strong to fold and I can´t manage to control the pot size. Even though I´ve been recognizing these patterns with quite some accuracy (partypoker´s micros std: c/c flop, c/minraise turn, push river... :f_o: ), I just can´t fold strong overpairs knowing that villain is a fish and might be playing back at me with overcards or a smaller overpair. So I just push along and think: "here I go, losing my whole stack to a set again".

How do you guys deal with this kind of read? Should I fold is situations like these or is it just out of question?

Known players: (?)
      vp$ip BBvsSteal ORL RaisePreflop
      Position: Stack
      AF W$SD WTS hands
      19 100 30 8
      UTG2: $9,15
      1,7 67 26 316

Hero: $4,45

24 67 44 15
      BU: $9,13
      2,1 57 21 628

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, A (Comentar)
      UTG2 raises to $0,16, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0,39, CO folds, BU calls $0,39, 2 folds, UTG2 calls $0,23.

Flop: ($1,23) Q, J, 6 (3 players) (Comentar)
      UTG2 checks, Hero bets $0,87, BU calls $0,87, UTG2 folds.

Turn: ($2,97) 8 (2 players) (Comentar)
      Hero raises $3,19 (All-In), BU calls $3,19.

River: ($9,35) 9 (2 players) (Comentar)

Final Pot: $9,35

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Ah Ac)
      BU shows Trio, jacks (Jh Jc)

BU wins with Trio, jacks (Jh Jc)

Thanks a lot,

• 3 replies
    • cauelaratta
      crap, can anyone explain me how to export hands from Elephant? it seems that´s just too much technology for me.

• Bojan1983
      when you get a monster, just raise it real strong preflop.

The bigger preflop raise with aces is, any potential mistake on flop or turn is smaller...

Like hand above, a guy raises 16cents, reraise him to 60cents... raising to 36 is to small...
    • Bliausmas
      I'm not sure if it's worth doing that, "dodging sets" :) I mean yes, sometimes you will get collered, but more times you will punish the fishy who will be holding a top pair or even worse.
      However, if you trust your "sixth feeling" - do as it says, you will save a lot of money. Sometimes I have this "sixth feeling" telling me that even middle set or second/third nut flush is not enough to win on the flop - and surprisingly it almost never fails. But I always call and lose then of course :D