Playing vs a god-mode player

• variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Hello,

Been thinking about running hot and running cold for a while now and thought lets here what other people have to say. Especially want to know Pzhon's oppinion.

Last week I was playing a 9-man sng and we where 5 left after 3-4 hands lucky hits by one player who hit runner runner kind of miracles. He obviously has a good run and everyone plays a lot tighter from than on, meaning he picks up more and more chips. after 10-15 hands a player tries to push him of preflop having AA and the god-mode player wins with a flush (not sure "example").

On the bubble now with all similar stacks I get dealed KK. The god-mode player is shoving any two cards for the last 5 hands or so. I called and get screwed and thought by myself: was this the best way to play this particullar sng.

I could waited for the bubble to burst (even though I should be winning there a fast majority of the time). Should I have considering he was running epic.

I know in the long run I will still win but in that case I lean more and more to the fold button because I see what is happening, and he is not likely to lose any hand at that point.

Really want to hear something fundamental about this!

Thanks in advance,
  • 18 replies
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      The results of the prior hand have no impact on the results of the next.

Folding KK in that spot (outside of really nutty ICM situations) would be a huge, huge leak.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      if you want to take poker seriously you have to completely reverse your thinking about variance and 'run bad'. each hand is an independent event, play your best each hand and make correct decisions. once you disconnect from results you will be a much better player.
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      I am compleetly shut of for results, I play stacked tables don't look at my roll till the end of the day etc. But when you are on a roll you can hit everything we all have it sometimes. So why not avoid those type of situations.
      It's not like I will fold KK ever in that spot but I tend to let go of somewhat marginal hands I would normally play, like QJ when 4 handed. But that is a leak than?
    • DannyG13
      DannyG13
      Bronze
      If you're basing decisions on whether you're running bad or an opponent seems to be running hot, then yes, that's a huge leak.
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Also be aware that between 2 hands of poker being dealt at your table, the software has dealt at least 1000 hands of poker at other tables.

Your hands are not even concurrent so you can't base a "pattern" off them. :f_biggrin:
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by yvonnejansen
      It's not like I will fold KK ever in that spot but I tend to let go of somewhat marginal hands I would normally play, like QJ when 4 handed. But that is a leak than?
      yes
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Kinda think I knew this already but wanted someone from outside my comfort zone telling me this. Thanks for the replies!
    • Agiz19
      Agiz19
      Bronze
      do you play on stars?
    • SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lessthanthreee
      if you want to take poker seriously you have to completely reverse your thinking about variance and 'run bad'. each hand is an independent event, play your best each hand and make correct decisions. once you disconnect from results you will be a much better player.
      I keep hearing this over and over... I keep reading this over and over... I know my maths and I know that this MUST be truth, BUT:

now honestly:

Have you really never ever experienced the situation, when say after 1000 hands or so of constant struggle, fighting for every blind, every little unraised pot and barely braking even, you suddenly almost hear a "click" somewhere and things turn around - villains fold to your bluffs, flushes and straights complete according to odds, you pairs hit sets in orderly manner, your value bets get called, etc...

Mind you I am not talking about a lucky streak here I am talking about... how to better put it? ... "an expected poker"?

and then after a while a click again and every raise gets reraised, every steal finds resistance, every time you c-bet with air, villain actually has something...

can you honestly say that it never happened? :)
    • Yoshimitsu77
      Yoshimitsu77
      Bronze
      i run hot and cold all the time.
      My upswings come really quick and don't last long, then my downswings are long and slow which kill my motivation to play and study :(
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      yeah it definitely seems like it. I've played a lot of superturbo MTTs and every now and then it's like someone says "today you will win ALL your all-ins"

there has been times when i've jammed some trash and BB snaps with AA that i don't even care cos I know i'll suck out and i do.

it's a funny ol' game like that. Really makes you feel psycic.

just type IDDQD in the chatbox and you'll be able to toggle god mode on and off. Don't leave it on too long though or it will stop working
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Agiz19
      do you play on stars?
      nope I don't
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Originally posted by bradomurder
      just type IDDQD in the chatbox and you'll be able to toggle god mode on and off. Don't leave it on too long though or it will stop working
      this is not information you should be giving out for free.

otherwise there won't be any money in poker, everyone's typing IDDQD
    • kidzoltan
      kidzoltan
      Platinum
      Is that the cheat code for DOOM2? :D :D
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      if type show me the money, your gonna flop the nuts for 30minutes. only works for Stars on MWF off peak hours
    • farbwenz
      farbwenz
      Bronze
      actually its a bit harder:
      when you lose because of calling far too lose, or because of limp/folding, you have to type in 2 letters, a space, and an animal. typically the first letter is a "f"
      but nowadays everyone does it, and when everyone is boomswitched the only one who will lose is the poker room.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      yeah its doom2. Wish you could play that for money.

IDKFA gets you rockets
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      IDCLEV and you can choose a tournament level.

final table, IDCLEV to put everyone all in, IDKFA to get rockets IDDQD and flop comes AA7.