Bet sizing

• 7 replies
    • StoneJ
      StoneJ
      Bronze
      i would have thought that is impossible to answer, it depends on what you want to achieve with the bet. Is it a bluff, is it for value, are you trying to protect against draws etc etc etc!
    • MKukis
      MKukis
      Bronze
      ok lets put it this way...
      how much would u bet protecting againts draws , beting for value and bluff ;)
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      this is the wrong kind of question to be asking. bet sizing depends on:

-your position
      - effective stacks
      - your holdings
      - the range you put your opponent on
      - any other reads you have
      - whether people are to act [ aka your position, again, because its so important]
      - any history you have with villain might be useful also

read the strategy articles. they are there for a reason, and they WILL answer this question.
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by MKukis
      ok lets put it this way...
      how much would u bet protecting againts draws , beting for value and bluff ;)
      Lol you're still asking a question that can't be answered because the size still depends on how many outs you have, how many outs your opponent has, what range are you putting villain on, what's the board texture etc. I'm pretty sure the articles cover this stuff...

As a very very general set of rules if you really want to rely on something so basic, I would bet pot to protect against draws, half pot as a bluff and whatever I think villain will call for value. This is not definitive though, there are loads of situations where the sizing will be different.
    • MKukis
      MKukis
      Bronze
      okay thanks
    • Doratti
      Doratti
      Silver
      Also consider
      :spade: What are you representing?
      :spade: What you expect villain to fold?
      :spade: What you expect villain to pay off with?
      :heart: What reads may villain have about bet size?
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      What are you representing?

changing bet size based on your holding is exploitable, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are playing against a drooler.

it has its uses in the mid stakes against regulars, but requires a lot of experience as you will have difficulty balancing both ranges properly.