[NL20-NL50] [SH] TPTK in 3B pot facing turn raise

• Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      iPoker - £0.50 NL - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

UTG: £68.39
      CO: £72.33
      BTN: £61.19 good player (6bb/100 40k hands NL50)
      SB: £52.55
      Hero (BB): £62.76

SB posts SB £0.25, Hero posts BB £0.50

Pre Flop: (£0.75) Hero has A:diamond: K:diamond:

fold, fold, BTN raises to £1.50, fold, Hero raises to £5.00, BTN calls £3.50

Flop: (£10.25, 2 players) K:club: 3:spade: 7:diamond:
      Hero bets £8.00, BTN calls £8.00

Turn: (£26.25, 2 players) 4:spade:
      Hero bets £13.12, BTN raises to £48.19, Hero calls £35.07

River: (£122.63, 2 players) 6:diamond:

Villlain is VP: 24(28 from BU)/PR:18(23 from BU)/Fold to 3B:73

When he raises his range is AA,KK and air. His betsizing is a bit suspicious, why would he bet so big with AA or KK?
  • 9 replies
    • kevvu
      kevvu
      Bronze
      Hey,
      I think he could easily have 77 as well in his range, and i dont think he will even raise AA so big. So i would just bet fold the turn. Looks week, but still.
      But about betsizing: I think u should cb smaller on this dry flop on 3b pots cause u want to keep your bluffs cheap too.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Do you have 4b stats? May help you to know whether he likely flats AA/KK. I would say AK is more likely overall give blockers to KK and likelihood of 4b AA. But then call down rather than raise turn is a likely line.

As to his betsizing, he may just want to get the $ in now a flushdraw appears. But yeah, it looks like he deliberately bets enough to put you all in - which looks kinda bluffy.

I think I would call here - esp, if he is a reg - given 2.5:1 since we should not be looking to fold tptk on a dry board in 3b pot vs BU range without reads.

Bet sizing here is interesting for hero. We will need to bet more than 1/2p on at least one street, since 1/2p wont get us all in since we are deep. But, yeah, $8 looks a little much on flop. Maybe aim for 2/3 on all streets. However I acutally doubt we'll get 3 streets of value from worse here... so maybe it doesnt matter.

Fact that villain is decent makes me either: think he is capable of raising air vs your weakish looking 2nd barrel, or alternatively that he mostly has it here and isnt likey to be trying to push us of AK/KQ with worse in which case we should give it to him. So, um, I dunno. Tough spot.
    • kevvu
      kevvu
      Bronze
      ˇNice thoughts. Its complicated spot.
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Hi guys, thanks for the comments.

@ kevvu: I don't think he has sets in his range because his Fold to 3B is 73% and I'm pretty sure a reg wouldn't call 3B for set value only (i.e wouldn't call with smaller PP than 88 or 99)

@ kevvu and Tim about betsizing: Agree that my normal CBet should be smaller. Sometimes I do these weird betsizings just to look spewy (hence the 1/2 pot bet on the turn as well). Also that could be a reason why he shoves turn with air considering my weak looking turn bet

@ Tim: 4B stats are very hard to use because he could flat AA but 4B JJ especially BU vs SB.

Let's see what judge says on the turn.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I assume that hand history is right: hero 3-bet pf 24/18 player, c-bet flop and then b/c turn. Seems really standard play to me.
      If he is winning player he would float that board smt with AJ/AT of :spade: and then shove over your turn barrel. Also he would very likely shove turn his KQ
      Can ´t really get away your hand, since your hand range is usually there quite weak and if you´re not b/c turn tptk then what hands would then stack off?
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Ok thanks for answer Kaitz.

Originally posted by Kaitz20
      If he is winning player he would float that board smt with AJ/AT of :spade: and then shove over your turn barrel.
      Indeed - you can even add A:spade: 9:spade: that's what he had.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Indeed - you can even add ASpade 9Spade that's what he had.

Nice catch ;)
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64Nice catch ;)
      Where's the catch? If you hit TPTK with your AK in a 3bet pot and the board isn't ugly your goal is to get it in. Sure sometimes they have you beat but thats way too seldom to consider folding. My 2 cents.

BTW I'm a station. Forget what I said.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      BTW I'm a station. Forget what I said.

Ok, I forgot it.

But, for my money (about the same as your 2 cents), any time we are hating life and are expecting to see some sick setup and actually it turns out villain was bluffing and he failed to frighten us into folding, we should be congratulating ourselves, at least a bit.