New fish on HUSNG

• AmuntBoy
      AmuntBoy
      Bronze
      I've played only cash games - begginers lvl NL5
      I have a BR about 400$ from cash games, and now i want to switch to HUSNG

i never played a normal SNG and i want to try HUSNG to improve on this game

How do i start?
      What materials i can read for HUSNG

How a solid HUSNG player start to improve from lower levels?
  • 2 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      My collaborator Collin Moshman has a book, Heads-Up No Limit Hold'em. It seems pretty good when I skimmed it before playing some HU matches against him.

There are two big adjustments. First, when you are heads-up (or blind-versus-blind), you need to lower your standards for playing hands, both preflop and postflop. You can typically raise hands like T6o or 85s in the small blind, and some people raise 100% in the small blind. Second, you need to know how to play when the stacks get more shallow. Typically, you switch to playing push/fold when you get under about 12 big blinds, and you should know the Nash equilibrium, and that typical players deviate from this by being too tight, both for pushing and calling.

I recommend jumping in, and playing a bunch of microstakes HU SNGs. If you take poker seriously, you will probably have a large advantage over the typical casual players, but verify this at the lowest stakes first.
    • Karl0zzz
      Karl0zzz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pzhon
      My collaborator Collin Moshman has a book, Heads-Up No Limit Hold'em. It seems pretty good when I skimmed it before playing some HU matches against him.
      At the momnet I'm reading it and the first impression is very good...I strongly recommend(Y)