6max table selection

• Rui8386
      Rui8386
      Bronze
      hi,about table selection,i have some my own ideas but need more suggestion

bad table
      1 a guy on your left,cold call you every single hand,and peel flop and turn super light .i think this is the table i must avoid or at least change my seat.
      2 no other tag,only 5 loose fish and you,you cannt control the table
      3 5 tag and you
      4 a maniac drives the others crazy,and the table goes wild

good table
      1 1-2 tag and 3-4 fish
      2 the talbes full of spewy players,a maniac,big bluffers,weak players and bad tags

any more suggestion? or any articles about table selection?
  • 8 replies
    • breena
      breena
      Bronze
      Yeah I been finding a station on my left quite often recently. Its annoying cause I dont want to leave because he is well chipped up, but I am missing the flop more often than not. :f_cry:

A good table is tags on the left and fish on the right, so long as the regs dont mac on and start 3 betting you light its should be a winner :s_cool:

6max table selection
    • Rui8386
      Rui8386
      Bronze
      Originally posted by breena
      Yeah I been finding a station on my left quite often recently. Its annoying cause I dont want to leave because he is well chipped up, but I am missing the flop more often than not. :f_cry:

every time I find a cold call station left,i think he is well chipped up too.but i was totally wrong,most of time just slowly losing chips and he chipped up.

maybe check raise often or try some tricky line against this kind of guy when oop, or just change seat or table
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      how do you find table with 1-2 tags? I feel lucky when there are 1 fish on whole table.

and you can control 5 loose players, limp with them and when you flop nuts go for it, or when you have AA KK QQ JJ just raise like 15BB or so. And don't forget to give space for fish to bluff!!!
    • breena
      breena
      Bronze
      The best thing to do Is tighten up. Make sure you have a hand cause he is going to call all the way to the river.

Sometimes change seat if poss but if there is a wait for the table and he has donked a load of chips I will defo hang around never try to bluff him though :s_evil:
    • breena
      breena
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Saruniks
      how do you find table with 1-2 tags? I feel lucky when there are 1 fish on whole table.

and you can control 5 loose players, limp with them and when you flop nuts go for it, or when you have AA KK QQ JJ just raise like 15BB or so. And don't forget to give space for fish to bluff!!!
      I was on a table with 5 fish yesterday and it was like the wild west.

I decided I was just going to shove my AK seeing as I didnt wana play these calling mofos OOP. Got called by 86s and QK both only had just under 1/2 stacks but still happy days :s_biggrin:
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Several of the "bad tables" are actually great opportunities as long as you know how to adjust.

If you usually play against one type of player, you might play exploitive lines instead of solid poker. For example, you might fold too much on the turn after your opponents call your flop bet if your opponents always have something when they call, even for one small bet. When you run into players who peel lightly and who bet the turn often when you check, you will be the one who is exploited. As long as you are flexible, and can recognize the situation, you don't need to run from the table, or to tighten up. You need to realize that your earlier play was exploitive, and does not fit the current situation, and you need to stop giving these players credit for hands when they call the flop and bet the turn. If you know why your normal play is profitable, and in which contexts, then you should have little trouble identifying situations where you need to change and how to adjust.

The only situation which was described which looks bad to me is 5 other tags. If these are good tags, then we might all end up losing to the rake, and they certainly are not as profitable opponents as casual players.

1) If someone is cold-calling every one of my raises and peeling every flop and turn, it means he is a calling station. I loosen up my value-betting range. When I miss, and am behind his range, I may have to play my hand as a bluff-catcher. Semi-bluffing is occasionally right, particularly on the flop. Pure bluffs should be avoided before the river. If this player bets very often when checked to, then I will increase my check-raise frequency.

2) If there are 5 loose fish, then I bet/raise for value and pump strong draws for value. This is very profitable, and you hardly need to do anything to exploit these players. They might hit two pair with 72o? That is a bad gamble which usually fails, and I still have a huge advantage because I can hit two pair with AT or KJ. If we both miss, or hit one pair, or two pair, I win. I don't care if I don't "control" the table if my win rate becomes 5 BB/100.

4) If there is a maniac making other players tilt, I will enter pots with the maniac with a much wider range than I normally play against his actions. I do not confuse his raises with real strength. I call down with weaker hands than normal, and overplay decent made hands on early streets, e.g., capping with TPGK and raising the turn when I would ordinarily just call down. I count on the maniac overplaying bad hands. If the other players are on tilt, that's great. Their sense of balance will be off, and they will make terrible calls against me, confusing me for the maniac when I am actually playing a more normal range against them. I will not bluff the other players much because they will be used to seeing bluffs.

You should practice beating these situations. If you plan to move up to higher stakes games where people generally play better, you still need to know how to play against calling stations and maniacs. Instead of tables with one other tag and 4 fish, you will be playing against 3-4 other regs and 1-2 bad players, and you need to know how to get the most out of the pots you get to play against the bad players. Almost universally, people find their win rates (in large samples) go down when they play against better players.
    • breena
      breena
      Bronze
      Thanks Pzhon some interesting stuff here. I have definitely finding poker easier since adapting to these different player types.

I just never seem to know how to play low PPs against these stations. If I try and isolate or steal blinds I know Im getting called down all the way to the river or If I stop raising they move all in. I cant fold pre, I have found limping behind sometimes works but it just feels like playing the hand face up.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      It sounds like you are playing NL, and a discussion of how to play low pocket pairs in NL would be better in one of the NL forums.

Low pocket pairs often have an information disadvantage. People playing QJ or even K8 know whether they have hit, but it is very hard to bet a low pocket pair for value unimproved. For the same amount of hot-and-cold equity, it is better to have a hand which either makes a strong hand or a bluffing hand rather than one which usually makes a bluff-catcher. So, although people get excited by pocket pairs and even 22 can be a favorite over AK, it is perfectly reasonable to open-fold low pocket pairs in many situations.