[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL30 Calling min-raise after block-bet

• fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      I know I didn't play the first part of the hand very well because I had to concentrate on another table, but my question is about the river. My opponent is a lag, thus he could be holding anything. I figure this is a suitable spot for making a block-bet with my marginal hand. I know that if someone raises your blockbet you're supposed to fold. Then again he's giving me excellent odds. I only have to win the hand 20% of the time for the call to be profitable. So what should I do after he raises?

OnGame - $0.30 NL (5 max) - Holdem - 4 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BTN: $39.29
      SB: $15.94
      BB: $7.20
      Hero (UTG): $37.09

SB posts SB $0.15, BB posts BB $0.30

Pre Flop: ($0.45) Hero has K:diamond: 8:diamond:

Hero raises to $1.05, BTN calls $1.05, fold, BB calls $0.75

Flop: ($3.30, 3 players) Q:heart: 5:heart: J:diamond:
      BB checks, Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($3.30, 3 players) K:club:
      BB checks, Hero bets $2.55, BTN calls $2.55, fold

River: ($8.40, 2 players) 5:spade:
      Hero bets $4.05, BTN raises to $8.10, Hero calls $4.05

BTN shows T:diamond: A:club: (Straight, Ace High) (PreFlop 100%, Flop 100%, Turn 100%)
      BTN wins $23.37
  • 6 replies
    • veeretas
      veeretas
      Bronze
      For me flop is cbet. To get him fold some Ax, small pockets(waiting opinion about that). And on the river, if villain is lag then i think i would go ch/c as every draw what he could have had on turn is busted on river.

edit: Didnt see that 3rd player that moment. what goes about cbeting. So no cb should be correct.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Well, my flop cbet is around 55% and since i was facing 2 opponents and board offered 2 different draws I decided not to bet. Then again maybe I should have. Plus I was busy at another table and went for a safe option.

However I often face min-raise after block-betting. It would be interesting to know what to do in such situation. Min-raise usually isn't a bluff but then again, the odds are great... :(
    • kevvu
      kevvu
      Bronze
      On the flop cb does not look good at all. He could be holding a ton of draws what can easily float. And we have another player in the pot also, so looks good not to cb. About river, we need to win it a bit over 17%, but do we even win it so often. If he is really crazy on the river then he would most likely shove more often as bluff than minraise. Minraises still are too often for value on rivers in these micro stakes.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I don´t mind c/c small bet river to see what hands he is calling turn, a lot of times he should have there maybe some kind of pair+draw, like JT, but if we bet and get min-raised it is nuts close to 100%, so I think we have to fold. We´re not really ahead almost never and only reason to call is to see what hands he is calling on the turn
    • kevvu
      kevvu
      Bronze
      Yep but to call the river to see what he had on the turn. Sounds like rly big -EV. Isnt it better to just wait better spot to make light call, cause then u are not so often behind.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kevvu
      Yep but to call the river to see what he had on the turn. Sounds like rly big -EV. Isnt it better to just wait better spot to make light call, cause then u are not so often behind.
      sure, folding is fine there. But when we face river raise we´re almost never good, so I think getting these price we can also look him up that hand.