NL Holdem $0.25(BB) Replayer
      SB ($9.25)
      BB ($12.50)
      UTG ($16.57)
      UTG+1 ($14.74)
      Hero ($5.13)
      BTN ($4.55)

Dealt to Hero Q:diamond: K:diamond:

fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.50, Hero raises to $1.50, fold, fold, fold, UTG+1 raises to $14.74 (AI), Hero calls $3.63 (AI)

FLOP ($10.61) 4:spade: A:diamond: 9:diamond:

TURN ($10.61) 4:spade: A:diamond: 9:diamond: 2:club:

RIVER ($10.61) 4:spade: A:diamond: 9:diamond: 2:club: 2:diamond:

Hero shows Q:diamond: K:diamond:
      (Pre 31%, Flop 37.2%, Turn 20.5%)

UTG+1 shows A:heart: Q:club:
      (Pre 69%, Flop 62.8%, Turn 79.5%)

Hero wins $10.08

Hi, :)

I have problem facing the unknown's minraise/shove. I usually raise 6bb against minraise. Should I call the shove against the unknown? The problem is I don't know his/her range. Help!

Thanks. :D
  • 14 replies
    • MeanGreen
      MeanGreen
      Bronze
      With KQ in MP against a minraise, I think I'd rather fold preflop without any stats on villain. As played I would have raised to 6bb as well.

Since KQ is the bottom of the SSS range, I'd fold against the push, because I don't think the average unknown will minraise/push with a range you beat with KQ.

Still the open minraise/push with AQ is worth a note, as I'd expect far stronger hands to make this kind of move.
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MeanGreen
      With KQ in MP against a minraise, I think I'd rather fold preflop without any stats on villain. As played I would have raised to 6bb as well.

Since KQ is the bottom of the SSS range, I'd fold against the push, because I don't think the average unknown will minraise/push with a range you beat with KQ.

Still the open minraise/push with AQ is worth a note, as I'd expect far stronger hands to make this kind of move.
      Hi,

I taken the note. :D With what range you will call against the shove?

Thanks
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Hi,

Calculate the EQ needed to call his shove.
      Then use the equilator and see with which hands you get that needed EQ. I would put him on the range AQ+, TT+ at tightest.

T.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey JHTAN,

Originally posted by Tampaloeres81
      Hi,

Calculate the EQ needed to call his shove.
      Then use the equilator and see with which hands you get that needed EQ. I would put him on the range AQ+, TT+ at tightest.

T.
      +1

If villain is unknown just use the basic strategy...

You play as if there were 2 limpers, so what would you do if one of them limp/raised? With other words, there's a raise behind you and the chart tells you what hands to continue with.

As for the posted hand, raise/fold indeed.

Regards,
      burek2000
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by burek2000

You play as if there were 2 limpers, so what would you do if one of them limp/raised? With other words, there's a raise behind you and the chart tells you what hands to continue with.

Regards,
      burek2000

Hi burek2000,

The first chart says that go broke when facing a raise after you with TT+,AK.
      However, the second chart says that go broke according to the ratio of stack size : size of the raise.
      As shown in the second chart, Hero should go broke with 77+,AJ+,KQ when the ratio of stack size : size of the raise is 2.5:1 or lower.
      As the hand posted, the ratio is $3.63 : $1.50 that is 2.42 : 1 which is in the range of 2.5:1 or lower. So, according to the chart, Hero should call it.
      Am I right?

Thanks
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JHTAN
      Originally posted by burek2000

Regards,
      burek2000

Hi burek2000,

The first chart says that go broke when facing a raise after you with TT+,AK.
      However, the second chart says that go broke according to the ratio of stack size : size of the raise.
      As shown in the second chart, Hero should go broke with 77+,AJ+,KQ when the ratio of stack size : size of the raise is 2.5:1 or lower.
      As the hand posted, the ratio is $3.63 : $1.50 that is 2.42 : 1 which is in the range of 2.5:1 or lower. So, according to the chart, Hero should call it.
      Am I right?

Thanks
      Hi JHTAN

The chart you posted are for playing with other SSS players
    • MeanGreen
      MeanGreen
      Bronze
      I think you're wrong Thazar, the stack:raise ratio chart is a basic chart against unknown villains. The caption is "The standard all-in conditions after a reraise are as follows:".

There's another chart that shows EV against SSS reraising you, but it's not that chart. http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sss/169/2/

According to that chart you have ($5.13-$1.50 : $1.50) = 2.42:1 so basically a push would be ok. You'd be far more accurate to go with Tampaloeres' approach to calculate the range against which you have 50% EV.
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MeanGreen
      You'd be far more accurate to go with Tampaloeres' approach to calculate the range against which you have 50% EV.
      Well you dont need 50% but more like 40-45% since there is already money in the pot ;)

T.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      I stand corrected :f_biggrin:
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Throw the chart in the trashcan --> learn how to use equity, pot odds and standard ranges.

Is UTG+1 shoving QJ/KJ/KT preflop? so in other words: worse hands? no hence you have <50% equity from the get-go, it's so easy to determine this.

More concrete:

Equity Win Tie Loss Hand
      Player 1: 68.176 % 67.770 % 0.813 % 31.417 % TT+, AQs+, AKo
      Player 2: 31.824 % 31.417 % 0.813 % 67.770 % KdQd

Now calculate your pot odds JHTAN, there is an article if you dont know how to this..

- Gerv
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      Throw the chart in the trashcan --> learn how to use equity, pot odds and standard ranges.
      :f_love:

Create your "own chart" starting hand/groups vs different ranges. In the process you have learned them by head.
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Hahahaha, it is so funny :f_love: :f_love: :f_love:

Thanks guys
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Can I mark this as judged or are you going to show me how to calculate pot odds??
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Can I mark this as judged or are you going to show me how to calculate pot odds??
      mark it as judged. Thanks