What? Im a losing player!?

• Daenerys
      Daenerys
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I have finally decided to start participating in these forums after lurking around here for last part of the year or so. And what a better way to start doing this other then creating my own blog and let other people laugh at my bad play. Also hopefully this will motivate me to keep a better mindset and not stray away from the path to success.

Anyhow a bit about myself…

My name is Alex and Im originally from Russia although I have lived in UK for about 12 years. I have started playing poker about 4-5 years ago when I had a lot of spare time. About a year later I have made about 5K+ in MTT wins as well and playing 50 NL / 100NL at Ladbrokes. Also a large part of my winnings came from playing 7 Stud PL, which was a sick game where it was fairly easy to make a profit with correct hand selection and aggression. I doubt many people have played it and as far as I know only Ladbrokes had the PL game variant running at that time. I still think they do now but no one plays it anymore or stakes are painfully low. For me the excitement of playing big pots at 7 Stud was just as exciting as, say, last table in a big MTT.

Anyways, that game is sadly dead but if anyone has had any fun experiences with it please do share the good old times.

Now to what really matters…

Since playing at Ladbrokes and few other sites I have taken a big break of about 2-3 years from playing poker due to university and work commitments as well as other stuff. I obviously played a little bit from time to time at a number of different sites on different nicks, but we are talking hundreds of hands leading either into a withdrawal or a bust with no considerations given to bankroll management, solid play or making a profit long term. Stupid stuff like playing 1/2 NL with 2 BI’s, making 1000$ in an evening and then blowing it all away in a matter of few hands, or withdrawing it just in time if I was feeling smarter on the night.

About few months ago I decided to start playing poker seriously for once and for all, plus I have the time now to put in the required volume, as well as getting an extra income wouldn’t hurt. Also I really enjoy the game which helps with those long grinding hours. If you don’t have at least some passion for something – you won’t succeed at it.

Few months ago:

Unfortunately, it started off quite badly as I got my ass handed to me on NL50. Considering the stakes involved and realisation of how much tougher the game has become then few years ago it was a bit of a shock. Obviously I wasn’t as good as I once thought and that I am actually a losing player. Facing those facts was to say the least, an interesting experience, but hey what doesn’t kill you – makes you stronger right? Maybe (and hopefully!) losing a bankroll would make me a better player and a winning player so I had to go back to basics and re-analyse my game, which I was doing for a month or so leading up to Christmas.
      I have decided to start off on NL20 / NL25 at poker heaven since it gives me a chance to clear a first deposit bonus as well as them offering 30% rake. From what I have seen the traffic isn’t awesome but should be enough to play 9 tables at a time. Again if anyone else has any feedback on PH please let us know! All the help and advice is appreciated. Or any other site to start on except stars and full tilt.

As I was saying im going to start off on nl20 FR with a 400-500 euro bankroll (bit on a small side but hopefully 20 BI’s should be enough for the limit). It’s about as much as I can start off with at the moment and I fear I won’t have as much motivation playing NL10 or lower. I have the next week off work so it’s a perfect time to start playing properly and gives me enough time to set up db, hud etc… So you can expect more actual poker updates starting next week! Also I like graphs and tables so you can guess what’s coming!

Short term targets for Jan-Feb:

- Build up a decent bankroll at NL20 and preferably not go bust again!
      - Learn and improve my mindset as I believe it’s my biggest problem or leak!
      - Play at least 20-30k hands per month ( hopefully more playing 9 tables)
      - Become part of the community although I have been lurking around here for awhile.
      - Update the blog as often as possible.
      - Find a nice signature for my posts. / maybe re-strcuture the opening blog post – add some pictures to the blog.

Mid term targets:

- Switch to NL50
      - Play more MTT’s where I think I have a greater edge then CGs.
      - Move up to NL100
      - In-depth study of Omaha during a small break holdem.
      - Get an alienware laptop even though I really like my slick Samsung r780.
      - Continue updating the blog.

Long term targets:

- To be updated as it’s probably way too early to even think about it.

Good luck at the tables everyone and see you around! I ll add some colours and make the post a bit more user friendly later!

Kind Regards

Daenerys
  • 12 replies
    • Daenerys
      Daenerys
      Bronze
      First day of playing, managed to put some volume in but failed miserably at following the guidelines and techniques i prepared.

Day 1 Graph:

Playing too loose did me in this session after a few bad beats early on. Managed to get back on track by the end of the day but still ended up 4 BI's down.

Im going to have to improve significantly tomorrow to have any chance of success at this rate.

Im gonna post some hands later once i actually figure out how to convert them.

Also anyone noticed the annoying feature that doesnt allow you to see ALL showdown hands. I have previously played on ladbrokes and betfred where in the game history you could see all hands at the showdown. It doesnt seem to be the case at Poker Heaven.
    • Daenerys
      Daenerys
      Bronze
      Day 2 - played fairly well for the 1000-1500 hands then tilted after losing a big AA vs KK pot with 250BB's each.

I cant believe i actually i did it, but i went up again to NL100 SH. Still need to work on my mindset. Even though i didnt play bad at NL100 there is no way i can survive there without 2-3k bankroll. Its ridiculous really, i know all that yet still making the wrong choices. I suppose i got lucky this time but i need to watch it.

Jumped down to NL25/NL30 then and had a nice upswing and really bad players and managed to win quite a lot back. I think i am going to play few thousand hands at SH tables as it seems i have a bigger edge on them and i play way too loose on FR and nibbling on reg nits isnt really the profitable way to go.

Anyways graph since i started:

Still running 200 Euros under EV though its probably cos of a few sick hands at NL100.

Anyways mixed feelings about the day, lots to analyse and think over. Will play less hands tomorrow, but hopefully play them a lot better.
    • Zhusy
      Zhusy
      Bronze
      I always feel sick when I see my EV 4 BI over my actual earnings....
      I had yesterday on 888 network (not playing over PS) EV 6.25 BI over my earnings... that software is so damn rigged..

EDIT: In less then 1400 hands! I lost AA vs AK 2 times in a row, was so sick...
    • Daenerys
      Daenerys
      Bronze
      Day 3-4

Running a lot better on SH tables so gonna stick with that. Seems like less regs and few more fish at those tables.

Still running 250 Euros under EV but hopefully that will even out with more volume.

Also i have massively reduced number of tables to 4-5 SH tables and i find it a lot easier to make the right calls instead spewing money on strong and beaten hands.

Also have struggled with this hand, had analysed it later but still unsure how i should have played it. The caller is a fish whos on a good run and just doubled up twice. Should i go broke here or since hes playing so loose should i play safe like i did since hes calling range would easily include a straight or 2p on that board. What should i do turn / river?

Boss Media (IPN) No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) - BossMedia Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (CO) ($70.56)
      SB ($199.56)
      MP ($96.20)
      Button ($115.05)
      BB ($34.50)
      UTG ($100)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, A
      2 folds, Hero bets $3, Button calls $3, 2 folds

Flop: ($7.50) 8, 9, 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $6, Button calls $6

Turn: ($19.50) 10 (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button checks

River: ($19.50) 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button checks

Total pot: $19.50 | Rake: $0.95
    • Daenerys
      Daenerys
      Bronze
      Broke even more or less today although had some bad beats. Run into 4 of a kind Kings twice and some other lower 4 of a kind in just 2k hands. Still running 500 under EV across all limits. :f_cry:

Still mixing tables from NL20 to NL100 although i try not to play too much 0.5/1 as i dont have the BR to take the swings. Although hopefully PS bonus together with rakeback would somewhat boost my bankroll to actually play properly.

Had a funny day with the ladies, they really did want me to tilt today. Lost some more hands with them but those ones i remember, especially the first 2.

Hand 1

Boss Media (IPN) No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) - BossMedia Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

MP ($117.25)
      Button ($137.73)
      SB ($66.83)
      Hero (UTG) ($116.55)
      BB ($24.73)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q, Q
      Hero bets $4, MP calls $4, 1 fold, SB calls $3.50, Hero raises $45.46, 1 fold, SB calls $45.46

Flop: ($103.92) K, 10, 5 (3 players)
      SB checks

Turn: ($103.92) 9 (3 players)

River: ($103.92) 5 (3 players)

Total pot: $103.92 | Rake: $3
      Main pot: $103.92 between SB, Hero and BB, won by SB

Results:
      SB had A, 6 (flush, King high).
      BB didn't show
      Hero had Q, Q (two pair, Queens and fives).
      Outcome: SB won $158.89

Total pot: $103.92 | Rake: $3

Hand 2

Boss Media (IPN) No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) - BossMedia Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

SB ($109.87)
      Hero (MP) ($89.55)
      CO ($301.40)
      Button ($156.03)
      BB ($31.76)
      UTG ($161.59)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q, Q
      1 fold, Hero bets $4, 1 fold, Button calls $4, 1 fold, BB calls $3

Flop: ($12.50) J, 7, Q (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $11, 1 fold, BB calls $11

Turn: ($34.50) K (2 players)
      Hero calls $0

River: ($34.50) 4 (2 players)

Total pot: $34.50 | Rake: $3
      Main pot: $34.50 between Hero and BB, won by BB

Results:
      BB had 6, 2 (flush, Queen high).
      Hero didn't show Q, Q (nothing).
      Outcome: BB won $64.52

Hand 3

Boss Media (IPN) No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (4 handed) - BossMedia Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

BB ($96.50)
      Hero (UTG) ($38.35)
      Button ($86.86)
      SB ($28.70)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q, Q
      Hero bets $4, Button calls $4, 2 folds

Flop: ($9.50) 4, 7, 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $7.12, Button calls $7.12

Turn: ($23.74) 10 (2 players)
      Hero bets $17.80

River: ($23.74) 5 (2 players)

Total pot: $23.74 | Rake: $3
      Main pot: $23.74 between Hero and Button, won by Button

Results:
      Button had 4, 4 (three of a kind, fours).
      Hero didn't show Q, Q (nothing).
      Outcome: Button won $74.70

Bah, that first hand was really lame, i knew fish had nothing and wanted him to call and he did...

For some reason the hand converter keeps missing some info on the river but it should be clear enough as it.
    • Zhusy
      Zhusy
      Bronze
      Pretty sick man.... I know how it is... tell the TILT TO GTFO!!! :D

anyway the board vs AA probably hit his range... but maybe he had some pair e.g. A9-ish? Could you write/PM what he had, I don't understand that check, he feared straight from a player like you?
      Okay sorry I forgot he is a fish, he can't think that way :D
    • Daenerys
      Daenerys
      Bronze
      Not sure what you mean, i was all-in on either flop or turn. In the first hand he had A6. Sorry if i misunderstood.
    • Daenerys
      Daenerys
      Bronze
      Bah!

Im now platinum due to a 3 week break. Oh well gonna have to stay like that for about a week ot two.

Expecting 300+ euros rakeback and 150+ from PS rake race so that should boost my bankroll nicely.

Running 700 under EV at the moment though :( and still about even in terms of profit. Hopefully it ll change. Once i get a 500 boost i may have to rethink the limits and my general strategy.
    • Daenerys
      Daenerys
      Bronze
      Had a few decent somewhat swingy days, although i had to withdraw my original deposit so im playing with just the winnings at the moment.

Can i just say thanks to poker strategy for the monthly rake race bonus which went quite nicely towards boosting my bankroll as well as 300+ rakeback! Didnt realy expect that much until i checked it few days ago. Always assumed that you need to play really high limits and high volume to get the decent rewards.

Anyhow, only one intresting hand, its not really a bad beat although i was ahead and villain was a complete fish running really hot ( not for long tho! :s_grin: )

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $1(BB) Replayer
      BB ($146)
      ($98.50)
      UTG ($79.58)
      Hero ($134)
      CO ($95.35)

BB posts (SB) $0.50

Dealt to Hero K:spade: A:spade:

UTG calls $1, Hero raises to $5, fold, BB calls $4.50, fold, UTG calls $4

FLOP ($16) T:spade: 6:club: 8:spade:

BB checks, UTG bets $10, Hero calls $10, BB folds

TURN ($36) T:spade: 6:club: 8:spade: 8:club:

UTG bets $64.58 (AI), Hero calls $64.58

RIVER ($165) T:spade: 6:club: 8:spade: 8:club: 7:spade:

UTG shows 9:spade: J:spade:
      (Pre 34%, Flop 42.4%, Turn 31.8%)

Hero shows K:spade: A:spade:
      (Pre 66%, Flop 57.6%, Turn 68.2%)

UTG wins $161
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Daenerys
      Had a few decent somewhat swingy days, although i had to withdraw my original deposit so im playing with just the winnings at the moment.

Can i just say thanks to poker strategy for the monthly rake race bonus which went quite nicely towards boosting my bankroll as well as 300+ rakeback! Didnt realy expect that much until i checked it few days ago. Always assumed that you need to play really high limits and high volume to get the decent rewards.

Anyhow, only one intresting hand, its not really a bad beat although i was ahead and villain was a complete fish running really hot ( not for long tho! :s_grin: )

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $1(BB) Replayer
      BB ($146)
      ($98.50)
      UTG ($79.58)
      Hero ($134)
      CO ($95.35)

BB posts (SB) $0.50

Dealt to Hero K:spade: A:spade:

UTG calls $1, Hero raises to $5, fold, BB calls $4.50, fold, UTG calls $4

FLOP ($16) T:spade: 6:club: 8:spade:

BB checks, UTG bets $10, Hero calls $10, BB folds

TURN ($36) T:spade: 6:club: 8:spade: 8:club:

UTG bets $64.58 (AI), Hero calls $64.58

RIVER ($165) T:spade: 6:club: 8:spade: 8:club: 7:spade:

UTG shows 9:spade: J:spade:
      (Pre 34%, Flop 42.4%, Turn 31.8%)

Hero shows K:spade: A:spade:
      (Pre 66%, Flop 57.6%, Turn 68.2%)

UTG wins $161
      Hey! Im just learning BSS and Im pretty I would have had a very tough decision on the turn. Care to explain your though processes?
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      your last graph shows a bit of a recurring theme in your last 2 sessions....

you seem to go down, then grind away and make a profit, then stop?

why stop? are you protecting a winning session? if you were playing well you shouldnt stop (unless you have real life things to do like make dinner or see your gf etc)

im just wondering if you are protecting a lead and nto playing on when you are playing well

the poker mindset talks about this and frown upon it.

just an observation? feel free to disagree :D
    • Daenerys
      Daenerys
      Bronze
      God thats an old thread.

But just to answer you CHARMANDER06 that villain was a complete fish and i was sure i was ahead on the turn and was calling the turn and river regardless of the card there. Making a flush there made the decision "easier" i guess.

@joeldowey123

I think thats a total graph for a few sessions not per session / day.

Anyhow i have stopped playing NL100 SH a while back as i had to withdraw my original deposit and bankroll and then of course ran -15 BIs under EV and kinda lost my winnings. You know about variance and all but it hits you when you dont expect it hehe.

Playing and learning much less stressfull HU poker at the moment :f_eek:

Miss my Diamond status though as my HU accounts arent tracked :f_frown: