[NL2-NL10] NL10 FR - donk vs. fish (playing the set)

• SilverSag
      Well... this is probably wrong from start to the end but hey, we are learning here, right? :f_biggrin: Villain is a fish 46/23/0.8 has played some weird plays before, so after hitting my set I decided to donk the donk so to say and see what happens. When he called my small donk bet I figured he doesnt have anything, but board was still dangerous...

Please evaluate this battle of the fishes :f_biggrin:

$0.05/$0.10 No Limit Holdem
      10 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

UTG ($3.20)
      UTG+1 ($2.76)
      UTG+2 ($2.85)
      MP1 ($8.60)
      MP2 ($9.97)
      MP3 ($5.22)
      CO ($6.19)
      BTN ($1.78)
      SB ($10.20)
      Hero ($14.63)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 10 players) Hero is BB 4:diamond: 4:spade:
      3 folds, MP1 raises to $0.50, 5 folds, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: 10:spade: 8:heart: 4:heart: ($1.05, 2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, MP1 calls $0.40

Turn: 7:heart: ($1.85, 2 players)
      Hero bets $1, MP1 calls $1

River: 5:diamond: ($3.85, 2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $2.88, Hero calls $2.88

Final Pot: $8.97
      MP1 shows
      K:diamond: Q:heart:
      Hero shows
      4:diamond: 4:spade:

Hero wins $8.97 (net +$4.19)

MP1 lost $4.78
  • 2 replies
    • Oly0909
      Well, here is another fish that thinks that you should bet more on flop, like ~$0.80. Turn is kind of OK, and on the river, I would rather put a small blocking bet like $1.00-$1.50, and fold to a raise.
    • veriz
      Hello SilverSag,

First of all what I want to mention is that you are giving a good example how people should be in this forum. Understanding that the learning is the best basic for moving up the limits and understanding the mistakes you do is one point ahead for becoming a better poker player. Keep going the good work and posting your hand and analyzing them. Never think like we would make people laugh on you how you played or anything. Those who don't post such hands are the real players who we rather laugh that they are so lazy that they even don't want to learn. ;)

Preflop: Pretty standard, we are going for set and mostly likely only for set with such a small PP. Also when you doing the Call here take into consideration that the villain stack is big enough to get near Call20 rule. In this case we get like 17-18 but it's fine.
      Flop: I'd even consider Check/Raise here for the given reason that he most of the times CBets here into us since he was PFA. But as if I decide to donk then I'd make it near pot, $0,90 because the board is so draw-heavy.

As played
      Turn: One option could be as well to just Check/Call for example if we were against standard player because a lot of draws completed. But since we are against such a station I'd bet myself in and ~$1,40.

As played if turn was bet smaller
      River: Check/Calling is likely better as you did for the given reason that there aren't many worse hands which may Call you, although he is kinda station you might sometimes even consider betting yourself. But for the given reason that we made so smallish bets and which could easily induce him to bluff on river, I might as well consider Calling here but most of the time if I haven't seen him bluffing or anything and more likely playing passively, I even prefer to just fold it here. A lot of hands beat us here, any 6x, any flush and etc.

Overall if you would have played differently the hand as I mentioned earlier, would be much easier to play against him that way and would likely even get more value from him in long run.

Best regards.