what should I play with my $50?

• nestrpljiv
      nestrpljiv
      Basic
      I played a lot of limit years ago in the pacific poker days..after that played some NL 6max and FR - not very well I admit, I have also played a lot of rush omaha....again not very well.

What should I used my 50 on cake for ? - I want to make a challenge of it - try to run it up to maybe 500 :D

Maybe I should try SnGs for the first time ever - what do you guys think is the best for building a roll??

thx in advance...
  • 10 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi nestrpljiv,

It is of course totally up to you what you decide to play. The only things I would suggest is that it is something you will enjoy playing. There is no point grinding out cash tables if you don't enjoy playing them and vice versa with sng's or mtt's.

Pick something you enjoy, stay within a sensible BRM (bankroll management) and I'm sure you will be able to make a nice profit on the game.

In terms of sng's, I found the regular clock, 9 player (top 3) games best personally, but I know a lot of members play the turbo ones or even Don's.

Good luck and look forward to seeing a blog of your progress soon :)

Best regards,

Bart
    • krisclarky
      krisclarky
      Bronze
      this would prefere on ur preferance,

u said u have played limit alot and had bad exsperiences with NL so maybe you should stick to limit for now.

if it has been ages since u last played i would suggest SnG get used to playing poker again and then take the measures to how u want to play.

my veiws on each choise.

Sng: you only lose $1 and can make a profit of $4 everytime if you win still make a profit of $2 or $1 for 2nd and 3rd.

bad bits about it is that u can play for about an hour and only make these small profits but the lose is minimun.

Limit: this is a good way to play, you gain money slowly and usally the table is very slow but by playing on these tables you cannot lose all of ur stack in 1 hand and can cover you on bad plays.

bad thing about it is you can't bully people of pot, people tent to call with anything and u can get people calling with 9-2 when u have aces and get beat by it.

NL: pro's earn money faster don't get stupid callers (you will at start since blinds are small), usally a faster game so when u fold you don't wait long till next hand.

con's you can lose money faster, you can get bulled of a pot, and there is alot of people who have wasted money and fish,

FISH: this means people will call with anything mostly an ace, and will chanse no matter how much you bet to try and hit.

if you find any people like this take note of there name, if you see them again try getting them 1 time u have the nuts and make them pay big to chase, (alot of fishers have a limit so try find it.

personal note: when playing limit espeicaly NL always have a note pad beside you,
      you want to keep track of your earnings, exsample say u have made $10 profit leave the table and play with the profit, and keep working like this,

that way you can work out a system for urself to gain without losing out,

exsample 2, you gain 10 and use that, with that 10 you gain 30 come out and play with 10 or 20, play till gain again, I.E if you lose on a bad beat and get mad or even annoyed, leave table go get a drink and summin to eat and watch tv or summin, don't keep going bk your profit will dissapear fast even tho u think ur playing like u normaly do, ur really not,

sorry for big write up and alot of spelling mistakes hopes this helps in some idea to help you play
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi krisclarky,

Thanks a lot for your very detailed post :)

Good luck on the tables,
      Hannes
    • nestrpljiv
      nestrpljiv
      Basic
      thanks for all your advice.I will give it some thought - not in a hurry to start playing straight away...
    • nightshades
      nightshades
      Basic
      $50 is the very minimum you should ever buy-in.
      The best bankroll management say that you should never buy-in in a SnG or cash game with more than 5% of your bankroll ( 5% of 50 = $2.50) or 2 % of your bankroll for MTT (2% of 50 = $1)

Personally I play lots of side games MTT. 10 game mixed, 2-7 SD, HORSE or Stud Hi/Lo. My ROI is quite high with those.
      Otherwise I play Heads up and 6-9 SnG NLHE.
    • AndriusTir
      AndriusTir
      Bronze
      That's all on you. Try to watch some SNG lessons and maybe that's what you always needed.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      I have built my bankroll with SNG's. I feel they are significantly softer and they have more action then cash games. They will seem to be kind of hard to learn, especially in the push/fold stage.

But your mistakes<your opponents mistakes so you make money. As EagleStar88 suggested, 9/10 man normal sng's are best, at least in the beggining. The first levels where i had problems beating them were 20$-30$ but i didn't tried that hard because i moved to 6max sng's and now mtt's.

The best bankroll management say that you should never buy-in in a SnG or cash game with more than 5% of your bankroll ( 5% of 50 = $2.50) or 2 % of your bankroll for MTT (2% of 50 = $1)

After 5000+ sng's i can say this is kind of weak advice. For SNG's i would go AT LEAST with the recommended 50 buy-ins per level, 100 buy-ins being my current confort zone, and for MTT's double the numbers. Go for the "at least part" in the micro stakes to accumulate some money to climb up limits.
    • nightshades
      nightshades
      Basic
      Originally posted by andreibalint

After 5000+ sng's i can say this is kind of weak advice. For SNG's i would go AT LEAST with the recommended 50 buy-ins per level, 100 buy-ins being my current confort zone, and for MTT's double the numbers. Go for the "at least part" in the micro stakes to accumulate some money to climb up limits.
      This is Chris Ferguson Bankroll Management Strategy. As far I'm concerned, Chris Ferguson don't give weak advices.

50-100 Buy-in for Single Table SnG and 100-200 Buy-in is just too much conservative. . That mean if you want to do $6 SnG you would deposit a $300-600 Bankroll ? You should never have such big swings.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Ok, as you wish.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Yeah, Chris Ferguson gave this advice because it worked for Chris Ferguson :s_cool: You can stick to 20-25BI rule only if you have absolutely no problem beating that limit. Otherwise it is pure gambling.