Minimizing loss with top set

• Iolar
      Iolar
      Bronze
      In a family pot is there any way to protect your hand / minimize loss when everyone is getting decent odds to draw with almost any two? Or are you just hoping that it's you who'll hit?

$0.1/$0.2 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T, T.
      UTG calls, UTG1 calls, UTG2 folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, BU calls, SB raises, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, BU calls.

Flop: (18 SB) 5, 4, T (9 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG1 checks, Hero bets, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, BU calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG1 calls.

Turn: (12.5 BB) Q (7 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG1 checks, Hero bets, MP3 folds, BU folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG1 folds.

River: (14.5 BB) J (2 players)
      SB bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.5 BB.

Hero T, T
      SB A, K
  • 7 replies
    • StoneJ
      StoneJ
      Bronze
      yeah but if you bet flop and turn like you probably should have done then you would have won the pot.

minimizing loss or losing money depending on how you decide to think about it!
    • Iolar
      Iolar
      Bronze
      I did bet flop and turn. The only reason I didn't raise preflop was because I sniffed that it was going multiway - not so good for TT unless you spike
    • StoneJ
      StoneJ
      Bronze
      Ah right, when i looked earlier the hand looked so messy i didnt think you had bet
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey Iolar. Pretty standard. The simple fact is you can't protect, and you bet to get as much value as possible. On the river you can't fold.

NH

BTW, there is a section of the forum specifically set up to have your hands analysed by pro players. The appropriate FLHE section is here:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1383

Plus it pays to convert your hands using a converter. You can find details on that and more here:

Hand Evaluation Boards - What you need to know
    • Iolar
      Iolar
      Bronze
      Thanks for the comments. It's as I thought.

Still learning how to use the forums (that's why it was so messy at first), but already feeling benefits. Wish I'd found PS sooner
    • kidpoker19901989
      kidpoker19901989
      Bronze
      by the looks of it that AK got in their cheap it depends how much you bet , if you flop top set and scared of people all calling for value make sure they have to have better than a draw to call you , protect your hand by betting enough that you dont give anyone with a few outs decent odds
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Definitely raise preflop, in the long run you will have flops with 1 overcard/overpair most of the time which isn't bad 3-4 way and you have to charge people for seeing a flop with their trash hands. It's higher variance but more EV+.

Please see the starting hands chart in the strategy section in one of the "Preflop" articles, it will let you know with what and when to raise/call/fold preflop.