[NL2-NL10] NL2 QQ vs preflop overbet

• member001
      Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.85 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q:heart: , Q:diamond:
      MP1 calls $0.02, MP2 calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, CO calls $0.10, 3 folds, MP1 calls $0.08, MP2 raises to $0.84, Hero calls $0.74, CO folds, MP1 calls $0.74.

Flop: ($2.65) K:heart: , J:spade: , T:club: (3 players)
      MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets $1.24 (All-In), 2 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Final Pot: $2.65

Well I won, but I'm completed baffled what was happening here, and wonder whether it's profitable in the long run. I expect you'll say there's no easy answer and it's very villain-dependent.

Preflop: villain limps then does this reraise of 3x pot. I'm reluctant to fold my QQ to such a nutter, but obviously am scared of AA/KK for which some players limp / raise preflop. I choose to call because:
      (i) it's such a strange move that I think he is a bad player, and in the small sample so far he seems aggressive 67/17/4.0. So I think there is a lot of stuff I beat in his range and even complete bluffs are possible.
      (ii) I have seen many players overbet, or even directly shove, AK preflop, presumably because they have difficulty playing it, don't mind taking down the pot uncontested preflop, and usually have at least a flip if they get called. (Yes, I know that's not a good idea because they'll win lots of tiny pots then get taken to the cleaners by AA/KK, but I'm sure that's why they do it.) I think he most likely has AK here.
      I do not reraise because this will isolate me against AA/KK part of his range. My plan is to call, then give up on the 1/3 of occasions there is an A or K on the flop and expect to win on the other 2/3 of occasions. I am in position too, which is nice.

Flop: Although my plan was to give up if the scare card K falls, I change plan and decide to semibluff when I flop an OESD and both the other players show weakness by checking to me. I'm happy to win, but what on earth did the first villain make that huge 3bet with, if it didn't hit that flop (obviously I was wrong about AK)??

[Edit: maybe his 3bet to $0.84 was not even such a huge overbet anyway, given that there were already 2 callers to the first raise and he was out of position. So apologies if I've made myself look like the idiot here! I would also be interested in judge's view of the bet sizing. Thanks..]
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello member001,

First of all! You will never look yourself as a idiot when you posting hands and writing the thoughts about your hand! More often it's rather very good to see what you thinking and we can give evaluations according to them and see if you have any kind of leaks in your thinkings as well. So don't be scared to post your thoughts, there is never a wrong thought, there can only be a wrong thought which says that "I can't post my thoughts since they may look me dumb". :)

Preflop: Actually I'd rather just ship it for the given reason that if he even has there AK then he wont pay us off when he didn't hit. Just shove it here if you planning to play against him.

As played
      Flop: The problem is that there is no worse which may Call us, just Check it behind and maybe you will even get Called on turn with Jx or something similar or maybe even with worse PP and also we might hit the nuts there and we wouldn't be that scared to go broke anymore.

Best regards.