Buying a monitor - resolution?

• DonCorleone369
      DonCorleone369
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm currently playing 12tables tiled without overlap using VIEWSONIC 22" VX2250WM LED which has the 1920 x 1080 resolution..

Now I'd like to buy another smaller screen which can "handle" 6 to 8 tables tiled without overlap (20-tabling :heart:) ..

The only thing I know is that the resolution of the screen matters more than the size.. Anyway, I was planning to buy 16"-19" screen, and preferably 18.5" but I don't know how much the (minimum) resolution should be? 1366 X 768 sufficient enough for 8 tables? or what about 1440x900?

Anyone who could help me?

Thx in advance!
  • 19 replies
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      why not just another 22"... I don't think you'll regret it and the price difference between 16" and 22" is probably not that much...

I don't like to multitable on multiple screens tho.. But having two screens is really useful tho.. being able to table select and stuff on one screen while playing on the other..
    • DonCorleone369
      DonCorleone369
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hlynkinn
      why not just another 22"... I don't think you'll regret it and the price difference between 16" and 22" is probably not that much...

I don't like to multitable on multiple screens tho.. But having two screens is really useful tho.. being able to table select and stuff on one screen while playing on the other..
      correct ;) .. was thinking same thing.. who knows I'll be able to 24 table in near future with some practice :P .. thx bro ;)
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I agree with the suggestion to get another 1920x1080 monitor.

I think most sites don't expect you to use tables smaller than about 480x360. If you use a 3x2 pattern, that would be 1440x720. 3x3 would be 1440x1080.

You can often tell your monitor to use a lower resolution. This looks bad on an LCD, but it lets you test how well tables would fit at a lower resolution.

You can also get an image of a particular size on your current monitor. E.g., google 1366x768 and you will find some wallpaper images which have that resolution. Try placing poker tables on top of that image.
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      I think its pretty pointless to buy anything smaller than 22" and below HD (1920x1080), so I would reccomend you to buy the same monitor (looks good also when you have 2 identical monitors) or just buy some other 22" HD monitor.
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Try to skip 1080, it sucks for poker. I would go with 1920x1200 all day long.
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      fyi a 1440x900 only fits 6 tables with no overlap.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Zheelvern
      Try to skip 1080, it sucks for poker. I would go with 1920x1200 all day long.
      I have both 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 monitors. Of course 1920x1200 is nicer, but 12 tables fit without overlap on the 1920x1080, and 1920x1080 monitors are more common and significantly less expensive.
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      At the moment I'm using dual monitor setup for 10 tabling. I'd recommend a 1920 x 1200 monitor - they can handle up to 12 tables, I'll get one soon hopefully
    • zamoda
      zamoda
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LgWz
      Do you get any problems reading player names while not at a default table size (I assume you play at ftp)

I just hate playing at such table sizes and play with overlap or tile/stack tables

It might be windows vs mac issue probably..

Sample screenshot
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      Yes it is terribly small. If I tile like that I can't see hud, stack sizes, bets, etc :P

So I tile in two rows (when I do tile, which isn't often) with a bit of horizontal overlap (which still allows me to see my hole cards on every table).
    • Zervin311
      Zervin311
      Bronze
      I don't understand why tiling is so important to you, stacking ftw :> I've played upwards of 56 tables on one screen because stacking saves you the time to move your eyes to another table and refocus. You're less likely to get headaches as well.
    • santostr
      santostr
      Bronze
      1) You miss the other players action.

2) You can remember the table situation better by the position of the table. No need to look again at all stacks, blind level, etc. This makes a huge diference to me.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Stacking sacrifices ROI to play more tables. You have less information available since you don't get to see what people do in hands which don't involve you, and you don't have timing tells. You don't get to see what people have at showdown even in some hands which involve you, e.g., you push, and you later find that you doubled up, but not how. You don't get to see, as you are making one decision, whether you have easy or hard decisions on other tables, so that you can decide how much time to take on this decision. If you time out on a table ad sit out, then you might blind off which is a huge hit to your ROI.

On the other hand, stacking may let you use a more complicated HUD, even on a monitor which is not that large.

If your ROI does not fall much compared with the additional tables you can play, then stacking can improve your $/hour. I think it gets in the way of learning, so you may want to stack tables only if it makes significantly more $/hour.

You may also want to consider a hybrid system with 4-6 stacks of tables.
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      Stacking is nice to reduce eye movement too. Recently I dropped to 10-12 tabling (from 20 tabling $16s in the past) using cascade, but in the past few weeks I'm getting headaches while playing which could be related to that, so now I'm giving stacking another try (but not increasing number of tables).
    • Zervin311
      Zervin311
      Bronze
      Exactly my point, I'd rather play 40+ tables with no reprecussions than to play 24 tables tiled and get screwed with headaches after every session.
    • santostr
      santostr
      Bronze
      I had problems (headaches, getting tired fast) with 2 monitors.
      9 tabbling in my 22 monitor works fine for me
    • wiarygodny
      wiarygodny
      Bronze
      i'm in the middle of the process of choosing a monitor (for tiling 12tbls). From this thread ive already learned that i need one with 1920x1080 res, minimum 22" then. ive got couple of further questions, maybe fishy but im not gonna hide the fact that im a total noob when it comes to technical stuff :f_biggrin:

The most important for me would be that spending x hrs a day in front of it would be as comfortable as it gets (least tiring for eyes, head etc.) hence my questions:

1. Do i need to care at all abt such specs as refreshing rate, brightness, contrast ratio etc. or those dont matter that much when it comes to poker?

2. ideally i'd like to be able to tile 12 with no overlap but at the same time id like all the details (stack sizes, stats, bacically all the text that appears on the tables) to be easy to read without the need to focus too much on it (i hope you understand what i mean, i dont want to spend more time than 'normal' fraction of a second to read the stack size that i need in particular moment) - heres my question - would it make any (big?) difference if i get a 22", 23" or 24"? for example "it's difficult to read stats on 22" (tbls with no overlap) but it's easy on 24". i have totally no experience with bigger screens since ive only used my 15,6" laptop one.

3. when i was doing my little research i found out that you can get either 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio. Besides the fact that its still dark magic for me how is it possible to get the same res on both while the pixels sustain their square shape im wondering if it matters at all for tiliing 12 tbls. My own logic (intuition?) tells me for some reason that 16:10 would be better, but since those monitors are more expensive id like to hear your opinions on that. Maybe there's somebody who played on both types and can tell me if there's any importatnt difference?

4. finally, maybe you can throw me some models that you know from your own expereince and that you're happy/unhappy with (especially when it comes to tiling 12 tbls with no overlap).

any help would be much appreciated!
      cheers!

edit: ive just foud out that my laptop (Acer Aspire 5735) has only a D-Sub VGA port. Will i be able to connect this monitor to it for example? I guess i will, just want to make sure. Will i be able to connect all (most) of the monitors or i need to look for a 'special' one?
    • NyXsc
      NyXsc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zamoda
      Originally posted by LgWz
      Do you get any problems reading player names while not at a default table size (I assume you play at ftp)

I just hate playing at such table sizes and play with overlap or tile/stack tables

It might be windows vs mac issue probably..

Sample screenshot
      Change the table view so it's 'racetrack', it's a lot less complicated you should be able to make stuff out better.
    • DonCorleone369
      DonCorleone369
      Bronze
      Originally posted by wiarygodny
      i'm in the middle of the process of choosing a monitor (for tiling 12tbls). From this thread ive already learned that i need one with 1920x1080 res, minimum 22" then. ive got couple of further questions, maybe fishy but im not gonna hide the fact that im a total noob when it comes to technical stuff :f_biggrin:

The most important for me would be that spending x hrs a day in front of it would be as comfortable as it gets (least tiring for eyes, head etc.) hence my questions:

1. Do i need to care at all abt such specs as refreshing rate, brightness, contrast ratio etc. or those dont matter that much when it comes to poker?

2. ideally i'd like to be able to tile 12 with no overlap but at the same time id like all the details (stack sizes, stats, bacically all the text that appears on the tables) to be easy to read without the need to focus too much on it (i hope you understand what i mean, i dont want to spend more time than 'normal' fraction of a second to read the stack size that i need in particular moment) - heres my question - would it make any (big?) difference if i get a 22", 23" or 24"? for example "it's difficult to read stats on 22" (tbls with no overlap) but it's easy on 24". i have totally no experience with bigger screens since ive only used my 15,6" laptop one.

3. when i was doing my little research i found out that you can get either 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio. Besides the fact that its still dark magic for me how is it possible to get the same res on both while the pixels sustain their square shape im wondering if it matters at all for tiliing 12 tbls. My own logic (intuition?) tells me for some reason that 16:10 would be better, but since those monitors are more expensive id like to hear your opinions on that. Maybe there's somebody who played on both types and can tell me if there's any importatnt difference?

4. finally, maybe you can throw me some models that you know from your own expereince and that you're happy/unhappy with (especially when it comes to tiling 12 tbls with no overlap).

any help would be much appreciated!
      cheers!

edit: ive just foud out that my laptop (Acer Aspire 5735) has only a D-Sub VGA port. Will i be able to connect this monitor to it for example? I guess i will, just want to make sure. Will i be able to connect all (most) of the monitors or i need to look for a 'special' one?
      Hi,

Honestly, I've basically just bought a 22" 1920 x 1080 res without looking much to the other specs (which might be important too though).. So can't really help you with this..

Secondly, I went to an optomologist to check if my eyes were still "working properly" :P (check-up if I needed spectacles) and fortunately there was no problem at all... But she adviced/prescribed me eye drops which consist of artificial tears.. cuz she said that based on a study/research people who frequently uses computer blink less often.. so that's why their eyes get tired more quickly or get a "red/sore eye".. (just wanted to share ;) )

I'm just starting out (configuring HEM) playing with HEM stats so can't really give you advice on this one too..

I've bought a VIEWSONIC VX2250wm-LED and I'm quite satisfied about it.. If you would ask me if I would buy it again.. I'd say yes :) ..

Lastly, about your laptop .. yes don't worry at all.. D-sub/VGA is the standard..

Greetzz