Freerolls

• Ryuhayabusazeven
      Ryuhayabusazeven
      Basic
      On full tilt i have played a lot of freerolls, but i only can seem to win with extreme luck once. Does there excist a strategy like short-stack strat on the site? Could u link it in your replay?

Thanks in advance,

Ryu
  • 7 replies
    • lounatick82
      lounatick82
      Bronze
      use the sit and go tourney strategy i find it usefull,play only your premium hands dont do as most the others and use a wide range of hands.yes you see alot get lucky but follow the guide you should do ok and take note of the early and middle phase advice in the guide. the freerolls are a hard slog but when you do well it says alot about your game in my mind! its one big mine field if u ask me! good luck m8
    • Ryuhayabusazeven
      Ryuhayabusazeven
      Basic
      I know what you mean by playing SNG strategy, but the problem is, i always get extremely shortstacked when the blinds are 400 800. For example: i have played in the 100$ freeroll of the netherlands, got lucky only once but for the other tourneys i had 3 BB's left when reaching 800 1600 50

Any suggetion on how to double my stack?
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      As far as I know there are no strategies created so far for freerolls :)
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze

:s_cool:
    • nightshades
      nightshades
      Basic
      Personally I think the conservative approach is not the best way to win a large freeroll.
      For example, the $1,000 Weekly freeroll on FTP pays only the 90 first places with a field of over 15,000 players (0.6 % of the field paid.)
      A Conservative approach won't bring you that far. At one point you will be forced to loose it up and rely a lot on luck.
      Why waste hours of your time just to get to a point where you need to take many risks just to have a slim chance to make money ?
      The optimal strategy for those tournament is to accumulate a lots of chips early in the tournament or get busted trying to do so.
      The best way to do so is to be loose passive preflop and tight aggressive post-flop.
      The goal is to see a lot of cheap flops and then bet it hard on the flop if you get something good. In the early stage of the tournament you might be called with bottom pair or ace-high or even worst. Sometimes you will face a real monster hand and get busted but at least you didn't invest any money nor much time on it so it's alright, you can try again next time.

-Most of beginners don't know how to play post-flop so they are going to push their hands all-in before the flop. When this happen you want to call with only the premiums hands.
      -Most beginners going to limp in way too many pots and commit a lot of chips if they flop a little something. I would never do that in a regular tournament but it's alright to limps in freeroll. The pot odds and implied odds are just so good. Always try to be in position (UTG+3 and better) when you limp. Only play top pair or better after the flop.

The reason why I think the conservative approach never going to work on a freeroll is that you need a huge amount of chips to have a chance to win it. The conservative approach just wont give you that. You will most likely bust mid to late stage of the tournament but very rarely make it ITM.
      Yes, you going to double up once in a while, but most likely you will eventually get busted on coin flip. Otherwise you will simply blind out when the hands doesn't come.

The winners of those freerolls are rarely good players. They are mostly players who accumulated tons of chips in borderline hands and can survive their mistakes because they have deeper stacks than their opponents.

You want to win those freerolls ? Build up a big stack early, that's the only way.
    • Ryuhayabusazeven
      Ryuhayabusazeven
      Basic
      Thanks for all your replies, even the very short one of justkylle was dead usefull. I am going to try the strategy at once.

Ryu
    • Ryuhayabusazeven
      Ryuhayabusazeven
      Basic
      1 more question: When another player goes all in in the early stages, with which hands should i call or should i even call at all? This happens mostly when i am on the blinds