Verre's NLHU SnG Blog

• Verre
      Hey everyone,

I'm Verre. Not much else to say. I've been struggling with motivation to play ring games and tournaments and ring sngs basically since i first started playing poker.

The problem I have is that I cant seem to play my A+ game at all times online, expecially when I'm multitabling.

I've come to realize that this is because of the fact that I am not recieving the same feeling I get from playing live or playing another game or sport that keeps track of wins/losses and such.

Throughout my life I've been good at sports such as hockey, golf, and football. I also played WC3/SC/SC2 with no motivational problems for years. I always seemed to do good in these games and took pride in bringing my A game to the arena everytime I played.

After much thought and self reflection I've realized that my problem is I need to keep score. My online poker life has been a constant downswing, mostly from just not caring.

So today is the day I change that. I'm taking $150 dollars and I'm going to play $11.50 NLHU SnGs on Pokerstars. I will be studying and watching vids as well as posting some hands. Most of all I will be playing only one table at a time and keeping score on here with wins and losses. The plan is to do daily updates about where I am and how I'm doing.

If I fail I fail, but this time it will not be from lack of dedication or lack of caring.

January Record

2011 Record
  • 4 replies
    • Verre
      Jan 21 Update:

7 wins / 3 Losses

Overall it was a nice start to my HU challenge. I played relatively good, adjusting to my opponents well. I made a few mistakes thats for sure. I'm going to post a few hands with my opinions on them. Your opinions would also be greatly appreciated.

As a forwarning. Not sure why it says its FLHM but obviously its not.

Hand converted with online hand converter:

Play hand

$30/$60 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (2 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, K.
      Hero raises, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 4, 5, 6 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (3 BB) J (2 players)
      SB bets, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) A (2 players)
      SB bets(All-In), Hero calls.

Final Pot: 50 BB.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of aces(A K).
      SB shows a straight, eight high(7 8).

SB wins with a straight, eight high(7 8).

I dont like much of anything about this hand. The guy was basically calling 97% of his hands so basically anything was in his range. At least if i had of bet earlier I could have got away from the hand. When that ace came on the river I over analyzed the card and misstook it for a bluffing card. Overall a terrible play.

Hand converted with online hand converter:

Play hand

$20/$40 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (2 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5, 5.
      Hero raises, SB 3-Bets, Hero calls.

Flop: (145 SB) 3, Q, A (2 players)

Turn: (72.5 BB) 2 (2 players)

River: (72.5 BB) K (2 players)

Final Pot: 72.5 BB.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of fives(5 5).
      SB shows a pair of aces(A J).

SB wins with a pair of aces(A J).

This is a questionable one. This player had 3 moves. Fold, Call, and all in. I had seen him call or check preflop with big pairs as well as mid pairs. He was showing alot of hands and had pushed all in with 22 and 33 as well as ATo-Aks.

I knew i was getting my chips in good and had the chip advantage to knock him out. What I dont like is that I felt I had a huge edge on this player and that I didn't need to take this gamble. My edge proved to be true when I dominated him in the next game. All in all I got my chips in good but still think its an overall questionable move.

Aside from that there was a bunch of good EV pushes and such deeper into the SnGs. I looked throught he list and there really isn't many brag hands or big river bluffs so I'm just going to leave it with my two big hands i'm unhappy with.
    • radler101
      don't use pokerstrategy convertor
    • Verre
      what would you recommend?
    • Verre
      January 22 Update

Well I didn't have much time to play today. In fact I had to squeak in 2 games before I went to bed.

Both games went exactly the same. The opponents where extremely tight passive. When they had a hand they limped, unless they had the nuts in which case they raised. Overall rather easy to read and play against.

The first game I took the guy down to 750 chips without a showdown in 15 minutes. Then he started playing all in every hand and basically I just waited till I had an ace and got it in.

The second game went almost exactly the same but took a little less time and when I got him down to about 825 chips he snap pushed and I made a loose call considering the situation with KQs and he showed A7o. I ended up spiking. I made the call because I knew if i lost we would be even in chips but I could easily dominate the match again. This made it worth the 60/40 flip for an outright win in my opinion. If anyone has any thoughts on that it would be cool, but overall I think going for a win when you hold a large chip lead with a 60/40 is the right thing to do.

Also If you guys could tell me where to get a good hand converter that would be helpful. That way I can start posting with bet sizes and such.

Days Record: 2/0