Real money for the first time

• Hiicantpk
      Hiicantpk
      Bronze
      Well I started playing with real money today. Entered a 1$ + 0.20$ tourney fee single table sit-n-go. Got off to a rough start, didn't get any playable hands. Time went on, and i went up and down ranging from a little over 5k down to 1200 (starting with 1500). Got down to the final three, i had Ace 6 preflop, called the blind. Both others at the table had called/checked. Flop came up 6 Q A, and I went all in, getting two pair on the flop. In hindsight this was a bad move, I knew i could still be beat easily. Sure enough the player on the small blind position called and flipped over Ace Queen. I was elim'd in 3rd place, but i won 1.80$ back, so thats a profit of 60 cents.

Gotta remember next tourney to play tighter and not go allin if I am not sure of something.
  • 8 replies
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Dont worry about A6, going all in here with a bottom pair would be questionable, but with such a hand - never. Just a bad beat.
    • jedifruit
      jedifruit
      Bronze
      Out of interest, what would be players views on raising pre flop in this situation. would it have been the right think to do?

Sorry to steal ur thread Hiicantpk.
    • Hiicantpk
      Hiicantpk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jedifruit
      Out of interest, what would be players views on raising pre flop in this situation. would it have been the right think to do?

With a hand like Ace 6 in the first pore-flop position, you are in no position to raise, but since it was suited ( :heart: s) i called the blind. If there were more people, i would have folded.
    • bangmesilly
      bangmesilly
      Bronze
      Im either raising or folding in this position but calling is a definate no for me. I want the pre flop initiative or im not playing here , as for the all in with 2 pair that is automatic after all if you dont go all in here with 2 pair what hand are you going to wait for . You lost to a better hand simple as that , it wasnt a bad beat just unlucky your opponent had a better hand , having said that what was your opponent thinking by not raising pre with a hand as good as that pre flop . A Q is only a good hand 3 handed pre flop , if it doesnt hit post flop then its worthless . You must bet your good hands pre flop when three handed if not you will get nowhere .
    • DeetM
      DeetM
      Bronze
      What were the stack and blind sizes OP?
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DeetM
      What were the stack and blind sizes OP?
      this.

I don't see how you can comment on his play without knowing this. Depending on the stackes sizes your play could be good or bad. Although personally i don't like playing marginal hands oop. So i probably wouldn't call preflop just fold or raise. It also depends alot on what type of players they were.. what you describe is just too general..
    • Hiicantpk
      Hiicantpk
      Bronze
      o.o
      Honestly, i am not entirely sure what you said there bang. Walls of text sometimes confuse me.

I am not sure what you mean by the stack (the pot?), but iirc the blinds were around 80/160 at that time.

I didn't really take into account all the different elements, and it was so long ago (i don't remember things like this for long), i have mostly forgot about the details.
    • DeetM
      DeetM
      Bronze
      By stack size I mean how many Big Blinds did each player have?

It's really important to check this in a sit and go as the higher the ratio of the blinds to the stacks the looser you should play,particularly when you're in the money. BUT, say you've got 20BB, Villain A has 30BB and Villain C has 2BB there's a lot to be said for not getting in Villain A's way with marginal hands and instead waiting for Villain C to blind away or be forced to shove / call with a poor hand.

That's not to say you shouldn't raise if you're first in the pot but you probably shouldn't be calling with A6. Likely a check / fold against the big stack unless he's pretty tight and and shove / call all-in against the little stack if it's heads up.

That's preflop, though, postflop there aren't many people who wouldn't have shoved 2-pair late in a sit n go.