Proper line when your overpair gets reraised?

• rarama
      rarama
      Bronze
      I have some trouble thinking of the right line to take with overpairs when my Continuation bet on the flop gets re-raised or check-raised. Usually I'm holding QQ+ anything lower I usually fold because villain could've always been slowplaying a bigger pocket pair. If the flop is a wet flop I usually re-raise or push for protection and I usually can get villain to fold (I'm guessing they had a draw).

However my main troubles are when the board is dry. The way I'm thinking is what could he be re-raising or check-raising with? Since there's no draws it has to either be a set or a bluff. As a result I always fold in these spots. Is this the right line? Or should I re-raise him back?

If I have QQ for example I don't think I can just call because I have to protect against both the A or K showing on the turn. I guess if I have AA I can just call. I just really wanted to know everyone's thoughts about these situations.
  • 3 replies
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      On a dry flop I usually find a flat call and a re-evaluation on the turn to work quite well. As there are no draws there's no point raising as you don't need to protect against a draw, and a lot of the time this is just a C/Raise because it's a dry flop and Villain doesn't think you've hit, on the occasions it is a set he will certainly barrel again on the turn, in which case you can find yourself an easy fold. A lot of the time he will check it on the turn, with either a complete bluff of a hand or a marginal hand that we should beat. In this case if we're OOP just fire a bet out on the river, 1/2 pot maybe, a lot of the time marginal hands will call (Such as TPTK, TPGK, smaller overpair etc) and if their C/Raise on the flop is a bluff they'll fold. If IP fire out a small bet on the turn when checked to you.

Obviously this is all situational, but generally I find this line works.

Cliffs -

:spade: Flat call a raise on dry board
      :spade: Re-evaluate on turn, if barrel is fired fold
      :spade: Small bet if checked to so marginal hands will call
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well it really depends on the opponent and how often is he bluffing or valuerasing worse. If the board comes J62 rainbow you have to ask yourself if his ever doing this for value with a worse hand then yours. And i really doubt his raising AJ on that flop, or very few players do in my experience. At least on lower limits players tend to call down with TPGK type of hands and very rarely raise with them.

So that leaves you with how often his C/R bluffing. HEM helps a lot here. If he has a C/R of like 3% you can just go and fold it on the flop without feeling bad about it. Once it gets higher you can't go folding overpairs on the flop.

There's also more factors to consider, like when you raise from the CO and get flattet from the BU he almost never has TT-QQ in that spot assuming he 3-bets them. But if you raise from UTG and get flattet then its way more likely that he has those worse overpairs in his range since many people are not happy to 3-bet fold or get it in with those PP against an utg open.

I think that the most important factor to consider is his C/R value. Even on drawy flops many people just play most of their draws passive and a guy with c/r of 5 or lower isn't c/r with weak draw so his range is monster draws and sets which your in a pretty bad shape against so stacking off with TPTK or overpairs once you get raised by more passive players you can fold with out worrying about it to much, even if he could have a draw that you only have a flip against.
    • StoneJ
      StoneJ
      Bronze
      The most likely reason you are being raised in these spots is because if the board is dry then the villain is likely thinking that you are c-betting for the sake of it.

thats doesn't mean this is always the case, but i think if you are always folding in these spots you are throwing the best hand a lot!