[NL2-NL10] NL5 FR on FT (Playing against aggressive opp in position)

• cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Hey guys, I'm playing NL5 FR on FT with 26 BI.. I have very limited CG exp and I have only played in NL2 for less than 1.5k hands. LOL. But I got my bankroll from $50 to $130 just by playing Sup Turbo SnGs and decided to move to CG cause I hate the variance in the Sup Turbo.

I encountered a few interesting hands in my first session on NL5 and hope you guys can take a look and see how better I can play in these hands (:

(Hand 1)

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $6.74
      Hero:
      $14.62

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.96 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with T:heart: , T:diamond:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, SB raises to $0.80, BB folds, Hero calls $0.60.

Flop: ($1.65) K:diamond: , 6:spade: , 2:club: (2 players)
      SB bets $1.25, Hero calls $1.25.

Turn: ($4.15) 5:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($4.15) T:club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.5, SB calls $2.50.

Final Pot: $9.15

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three-of-a-kind, tens (Th Td)
      SB shows (Ks 9s)

Hero wins with three-of-a-kind, tens (Th Td)

Over here, I raised from BU of course with my 10s and SB reraised me.. Usually when a SB 3-bets it indicates a very strong hand but at that point I just thought he was making a move cause I have been pretty light with my BU raises.

I called his 3-bet and flop came an overcard to my 10s. He made a 3/4 Cbet and I just called to see what will happen on the turn and I am still most likely ahead most of the time.

Turn came he checked to me and there I was thinking he has either Js or Qs, He would have bet with Ks, As or AK.. So I gladly checked to have a free card.

Best card came on the river for me in the form of a 10c, because a 10s would have made Villain a K high flush and I would have gotten in a lot of trouble. Once more he checked to me and there I was thinking how much should I value bet? On hindsight $2.5 into $4.15 pot was too little, I was thinking he would have called me with a $3.5 bet still if he had Js/Qs.. Although it turned out he had K9s..

So what do you guys think would be a good value bet on the river?

(Hand 2)

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP2:
      $3.9
      Hero:
      $11.97

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.96 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:club: , J:diamond:
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.05, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.25, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.57) A:spade: , 8:spade: , 7:heart: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.57, Hero calls $0.57.

Turn: ($1.71) A:diamond: (2 players)
      MP2 raises $3.08 (All-In), Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Final Pot: $1.71

I raised in the CO with AJos. Here Villain donk bet the pot into me and I felt it strange (finding it difficult to deal with these donk bets). I don't know if it's true but I see a lot of donk betting when an Ace comes on the flop. To me that is a huge sign that people likes to play any Ace although I'm not sure if that's true.

However, I called the bet and was ready to lay my hand down depending on the turn card and if Villain was to bet big again. I had Villain on Ax on the flop and a set to me was unlikely since I felt he would C/R me instead cause there was an Ace on the board and original raiser would almost always cbets with an Ace on board.

But lo and behold turn came another Ace and Villain overbets the pot and AI.. The old unrestrained me would have snapped called.. I really don't know, I mean if I had AK/AQ I would have probably called. At this point, it is either A7/A8 turned Full House or a set turned Full House to me the way Villain played it.

At the back of mind, I was thinking if he had such a monster, he would have surely tried to get some value out of his hand instead of shoving AI.. That was the reason why I was so tempted to call. That there was a slight chance he was bluffing or maybe he had trip Aces with a lower kicker than me which was not surprising considering how many Ax people like to play on the micros.

I folded in the end.

Any comments on this hand? Do you guys think I should play any different than I did?

Advanced thanks, and hope to plug the leaks I have in my NL game and also train up a better thought process which I severely lack.. (:
  • 3 replies
    • figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      Hand 1
      I think well played.

Hand 2
      I think with AK/AQ he would have raised pre. On flop he donks and for me it seems like 2pair or set because his AF is pretty small so IMO you made a good fold.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello cheekopeh,

And welcome! Good to see new names posting and trying to find their leaks, hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. Also would be good if you posted just one hand into 1 thread, we would write much better evaluations and concentrate on one hand not on all differently and also don't have to scroll down always. :)

About the hands,

Hand #1
      Preflop: I don't like the Call just take into consideration his BBvsSteal that far, I'd just fold it 1st time and see his actions in future player. Also his stack ain't worth it trying to overplay him.

As played
      Flop: As you Called from then yes, likely you also have to continue here, since it doesn't make sense to Call preflop and then give it up on such a flop. But more often I'd say we aren't always ahead here. :) Would be much easier to just fold it preflop and avoid such situations against his stack.
      Turn: Rather Check behind.
      River: Oh lucky card for us, bet for value.

Hand #2
      Nothing much I can add there, nice hand. We can't really beat much there anyways with he is donking and picking such a strong line. Good fold!

Best regards.
    • cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Oops now I know about the one hand per thread thing. Thanks anyway for the evaluation Veriz!