Grinding out of NL2

• Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Has anyone here actually done it?

I mean I hear lots of 'bet for bet for value' talk, lots of advice, all of which I understand, but has anyone actually done it?

Does it take forever like it's taking me? Patience is a virtue and all that but to play for an hour to wait for any hand worth 'betting for value' only for everyone to fold/have a bigger monster really means this is taking me an eternity.

So for all those out there who offer the advice...has anyone actually deposited $50 into any poker account and made it up to NL5/10 and beyond? If so how long did it take? Did you too experience the 'run good - run awful (sets hitting bigger sets etc)' periods?
  • 13 replies
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by Greedyfly

I mean I hear lots of 'bet for bet for value' talk, lots of advice, all of which I understand, but has anyone actually done it?

Does it take forever like it's taking me? Patience is a virtue and all that but to play for an hour to wait for any hand worth 'betting for value' only for everyone to fold/have a bigger monster really means this is taking me an eternity.

So for all those out there who offer the advice...has anyone actually deposited $50 into any poker account and made it up to NL5/10 and beyond? If so how long did it take? Did you too experience the 'run good - run awful (sets hitting bigger sets etc)' periods?
      Bloody hell, you still around then? I've made a bit of a comeback at nl2 although I'll admit my roll has grown more through bonuses than profit... Currently made like $20 in 20k hands lol and $60 in bonuses playing nl2 sh. First 8k hands were horrendous, been pretty sweet since then though.

I'm off work this week if you want someone to tune in to one of your sets, I've improved a fair chunk since we last spoke :f_cool:
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      You still playing at stars?
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Well look who it is...good to have you back. Yeah still a about...and believe it or not twice gotten out of this pig of a limit to be twice shafted higher up. I'm sporadically about this week but only evenings if that suits you.

How did the parting go?
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Well look who it is...good to have you back. Yeah still a about...and believe it or not twice gotten out of this pig of a limit to be twice shafted higher up. I'm sporadically about this week but only evenings if that suits you.

How did the parting go?
      Lol well I didn't play at all since we last spoke then over christmas the brother in law came round and he was playing a knockout tourney so of course I then had to deposit a tenner... Won a 90 man knockout then donked the profit off. Continued to donk some money then thought fuck it I'll have another go at taking the game seriously so deposited $20 on new years day and now I have $95 although it's mostly from bonuses... My first 8k hands were basically just a downward slope as I got rivered over and over again.

Just moved up to nl5 sh with pretty loose BRM - If you remember, I creamed my whole roll playing sh back then and went on major tilt and now I know why... I had soooo many leaks that didn't show in FR but got me anhialated in SH games!

I can do some evenings this week once the kids are in bed, just let me know what days. Probably 8pm - midnight will be best for me. Are you playing at stars still? I have a new user account there now - They let me change it due to a couple of security issues which means it's now a tracked account :s_cool:
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Athene did play some nl2 last month on stars.

• Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Sick, sick dude... I know NL2 is easy but how do you 16 table nl2 sh for 8hrs a day with those stats? When I play 16 tables I turn into a complete nit bot.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by Wurble

Bloody hell, you still around then? I've made a bit of a comeback at nl2 although I'll admit my roll has grown more through bonuses than profit... Currently made like $20 in 20k hands lol and $60 in bonuses playing nl2 sh. First 8k hands were horrendous, been pretty sweet since then though.

I'm off work this week if you want someone to tune in to one of your sets, I've improved a fair chunk since we last spoke :f_cool:
      Well making 20$ in 20k hands is 5bb/100 winrate which is pretty decent, especially considering you had a smallish swing in there as well. You can't make 2k on NL2 unless you grind 24 tables 12 hours a day. You only need to make 75 to move up.

And bonuses are your winrate as well especially since the rake on micro's is huge. Its not like you didn't pay for your bonus in a form of rake. So profit is profit, no matter where it comes from.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      CHrist, haven't seen you around in a while man :D

To answer your question, yeah a lot have people have done it, myself included. NL2 took me ages because I was a complete fish back then, when I started playing seriousl on NL5 it took me 20k hands to reach NL10, then another 30k to reach NL25 :) It can be done my man, just have patience and the results will come, and don't forget to keep looking for leaks in your game and pluggin them, it will help you move up quicker :)
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Yeah yeah still kicking around Wrig, in fact I see you logged into MSN quite frequently. You seem to be doing well at this limit + then...

You fancy joining myself and Wurble on a session one eve to see if you can spot anything?

Wurble, yeah still at Stars but also Party at the mo. Trying to work off a bonus to get HEM on the cheap...It's pissing me not having a HUD. Will drop you a mail, whats your email addy again... I am sure you are still on MSN list also
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Yeah i'm always kicking around :) Basically spending all my days and nights on my laptop at the moment due to University work being due in, which automatically results in me procrastinating on internet forums :p

And yeah, i'm sure I could free up my busy schedule one evening to join you :D
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Yeah yeah still kicking around Wrig, in fact I see you logged into MSN quite frequently. You seem to be doing well at this limit + then...

You fancy joining myself and Wurble on a session one eve to see if you can spot anything?

Wurble, yeah still at Stars but also Party at the mo. Trying to work off a bonus to get HEM on the cheap...It's pissing me not having a HUD. Will drop you a mail, whats your email addy again... I am sure you are still on MSN list also
      Still on msn dude so will make sure I'm signed on through the week.. It'd be good for Wriggers to jump in as well - It's only 9 months ago he was where we are\were so he's obviously done something we haven't!
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Well exactly.

Wriggers....You are our leader...Educate us :)
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Haha i'll try my best :D And Wurble, it was actually 6 months ago ;) :D /brag.