Time to fix this submarine!

• Orangemango
      Orangemango
      Bronze
      Hey guys (and gals)!

I'm the submarine. Maybe an old rusting Soviet-era one. I've got more leaks than I can handle! Basically, this:

However, a bit more background details. I only recently started playing poker on Full Tilt. Never played it before in my life, but then came across Poker Strategy, and thought that the free $50 definitely looked interesting, so jumped straight in at the shallow NL2 end. And I'm sinking!

I'm playing 6-max tables right now, only 2-3 at one time, but can't seem to be making any progress. The range I play is sometimes tight, sometimes loose, depending on the table. Nothing crazy like Q3o, but I like to mix it up with 43s, j8s...etc.

I know a 3k sample is small, but I think that it's illustrative of a larger pattern. Its better to plug up a leak at the start, than wait for it to get bigger! Anyway, here's the chart:

I think you get the picture! I think that I've got quiet a few holes, but I'm suffering from information overload and don't really know where to start. More reading on the importance of position? On value-betting? Etc... its hard to pick a point.

Here are my stats too!

Pre Flop

Post Flop

From what I can see; I don't understand positions too well, and I don't raise preflop a lot. That's because at 2NL its not poker, its Hungry Hungry Hippos! I raise 4BBS and it quickly escalates to everyone all-in, trying to swallow the whole damn pot.

Feel free to laugh guys, but some constructive criticism would be much appreciated. Where should I go to learn more?? I've downloaded the 2NL videos at killdonk.com, but haven't watched them yet.

I've read tonnes of threads about people crushing 2NL, and I really want to improve. Right now I'm getting slapped around, not crushing anything!

So... hello to everyone! And thanks for any feedback.
  • 9 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      It looks like you're playing 6 handed tables? Go to Full ring, 9 or 10 seats and start from the beginning. I did and I'd been playing 2 years before I joined here.
      Get a starting Hand Chart and USE IT.
      Read the articles on here for beginners...then read them again.
      Don't try any fancy plays, just simple straightforward poker.
      Play in position.
      Please, stop the limp/fold!? :)
      Watch the beginner videos and find the times of coachings - attend as many as possible.
      When you get a tricky hand situation, post it on the forums.

ASK QUESTIONS! You are off to a good start realising it's you and not just blind luck causing the trouble, so keep asking for help.

Sounds a lot and it can be a bit overwhelming at the start. If that happens take a step back to the last point you were at and go through it again.

I've likely missed a few items but doing these things should help tip that graph the other way round. GL. :)
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      As you have mentioned, you open limp waaay too much :) Tighten up your range, and raise almost all the hands you play preflop. Play in position as much as possible (No low-mid suited connectors from early positions!) and value bet all your good hands. At this level, if you don't get raised Top pair top kicker is usually good enough to be going all in, but if a fish raises you, he probably has you beat :)

GL!
    • Orangemango
      Orangemango
      Bronze
      Thanks for the responses guys, I'll reread them a few times, and start working on my game! I used to play SSS, and found the starting hand charts here a bit too tight for 6 max. Maybe for full ring its different, I'll check. Oh and yes, I haven't taken advantage of the coaching sessions yet, will definitely check it out.

I agree, I have to try and cut out the limping :) Its hard to press the button when theres so many maniacs out there, ready to reraise any second!

I found a pot that I lost! (Maybe I'll get it back soon :P )

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $0.63
      MP3:
      $1.56
      CO:
      $0.45
      BU:
      $0.70
      SB (Hero):
      $3.12

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6, 6.
      MP3 raises to $0.04, CO calls $0.04, BU calls $0.04, Hero calls $0.03, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.18) 8, 2, 7 (4 players)
      Hero bets $0.02, MP3 raises to $0.04, CO folds, BU calls $0.04, Hero calls $0.02.

Turn: ($0.3) A (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.02, BU calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02.

River: ($0.36) 6 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.22, MP3 calls $0.22, BU raises to $0.60, Hero calls $0.38, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: $1.78.
      Results follow:

BU shows a straight, eight high(4 5).
      Hero shows three of a kind, sixs(6 6).

BU wins with a straight, eight high(4 5).

I thought that he had A + something. Was my main mistake not raising on the turn?
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Calling preflop there is fine.

On the flop don't lead out with a beat there, and if you are going to lead out don't min-bet :) Bet about $0.14, or not at all :D The call of his min-raise is probably fine as played.

Same with the turn.

River is completely fine, maybe bet a bit bigger to start with, and i'd have probably raised his reraise, but sometimes a call is fine as well, as a straight is pretty unlikely and he would be doing that with Ax as well probably.
    • Orangemango
      Orangemango
      Bronze
      Cheers. One question though. Is it ever recommended to min-bet?

My reasoning for min-betting on the flop is that MP3 or BU would raise if I checked, so throwing a few chips on the table would have allowed me to see the turn cheaply, assuming they would tone down the aggression (this is donk betting, right?). Is this a bit of noobish fish logic coming into play? :)
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      The theory is correct, it's sort of an information/blocking bet because you want a cheap card, rather than allowing Villain to determine the size of the bet and the pot grow on his terms. However a min-bet is generally not the way to go with this as it doesn't achieve any goals whatsoever really. As an information bet it doesn't do anything because there is absolutely no fold equity (And you should be happy to take the pot down there :p) as Villain will call anything to a min bet. As a blocking bet it won't work because if he has a hand he'll simply raise you.

If you're going to use this as this type of bet i'd recommend betting about 1/2 pot to 2/3 pot :)

And to answer your first question, min-betting is generally not recommended in cash games :)
    • Orangemango
      Orangemango
      Bronze
      Thanks for the insight, I'll have to work on that! I think the calling/limping along drains a lot of the money away. I'm too cautious about raising, will need to raise more :s_evil:

I'm gonna go through my hand history tonight, and see what other mistakes I've been doing... it might take a few hours to spot them all.
    • Orangemango
      Orangemango
      Bronze
      [B][SIZE=16]25/01/2011[/SIZE][/B]

Still leaking guys. I am finding that I have more and more in common with the broken tap in my kitchen every day. So, today I thought I'd brush up on the importance of table position by reading a few articles. However, I walked away unsure if position is over or under estimated. Some articles say that its everything in poker, and others say that it's only really useful in FR since when playing 6-max, players tend to open up and play more loosely as the blinds come round faster.

I've tightened up my hand range when in early position and opened up more on the button, but I'm still figuring out what to do in the seats in between! I can't wait to for the button to complete its orbit every time I enter a hand!

Anyways, can't play poker on an empty stomach, which is why, I present to you:

CHICKPEA BURGER EXTRAORDINAIRE!

It's actually really easy to make - just mash chickpeas together with some onions, coriander, egg, mashed potato and a heap of spices... and done! Burger King ain't got nothing on this :f_pleased:

I ate, loaded up Full Tilt, and pysched myself up that tonight would be a good night. Tonnes of fresh fish to go around for everyone... And then this, one of my first hands!

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 Pot-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):
      $1.01
      SB:
      $0.65
      BB:
      $0.51
      MP3:
      $1.94
      CO:
      $0.10

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, Q.
      MP3 raises to $0.04, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.06, SB calls $0.05, BB calls $0.04, MP3 raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.24, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.72) A, 5, Q (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.72, Hero calls $0.71(All-In).

Turn: ($2.15) K (2 players)

River: ($2.15) 8 (2 players)

Final Pot: $2.15.
      Results follow:

MP3 shows two pairs, aces and kings(K A).
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and queens(A Q).

MP3 wins with two pairs, aces and kings(K A).

Just bad luck? His VPIP was 77%, should I have shoved pre-flop?

Today went pretty badly overall: -$2.20
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      lloks like 2 buy-ins...pfff, don't worry about that or that AQ hand; standard stuff just blank it and move on. NH. etc.
      Position is not overrated, but it is for newbs (sry :) ). This is because newer players, or weaker players, don't hav ethe knowledge to take fuller advantage of it. You would be amazed at the amount of money this costs them and those more experienced as well buy the way.
      Learn your poisition well, it's one of the firs tsteps to stardom. :)

Oh and no limping 6max. GL.