pushing with AK

• 16 replies
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      as with any hand other than (queens) kings or aces, i will base any decision on the strength of the player.
    • mishh06
      mishh06
      Bronze
      I don't think i'm calling a push with AK with 9 people left, but as chenny said it does depend on the reads on the player. With 6 left i'll probably call a push depending on the blinds and also player reads. Especially if it is a $5.50 or less, i'll definitely be calling.
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      I agree but it realy gets me that it is mostly a 50/50 chance and i realy dont like that when im playing, id rather outplay opponents.

EDIT: Also, its quite hard to get reads on opponents when you are playing 4 tables+.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      depends on the pot odds for me. 20bb and under is an easy push, because my opponents are too loose at that stage, and you are often dominating. Icm is a push too of course, in 99% of the cases. And before that i have no trouble laying those down. I go all in with them if i hit though, because at 10+1 it's -ev to lay down TPTK. Those are my views. NH imo.
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      I always try to see the flop with AK for as cheap as possible, not discounting the fact I know I should raise PF. I just always seem to have bad experiences with it when pushing with it PF.

Like OP said tho it is a coinflip and the same question could be asked any pocket pair really. I mean, would you put your tournament on the line with 66 while the blinds are early? I doubt it... but I agree with player reads being important, especially on single tables.
    • Unam
      Unam
      early
      I would push AK when the pot is big before the flop
      I would not call a push, I don't want to flip in the early levels

middle
      I would push over raises (if we aren't both too deep)
      I would call some pushes, but that can't be answered in general.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      ManniXXX, you really really really really should not base your decisions on past results.

for the rest, @unam.
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      I know I shouldn't and for the most part i don't. But if i'm dealt AK in early or middle blinds I'll never risk too much on it. Obviously I'm still gonna play it.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      that's what i mean though. if you fail to isolate with AK, you'd do better folding it preflop (i'm serious here)...
    • SayYesWNA
      SayYesWNA
      Bronze
      AK is only top card with top kikker. Have to hit somthing on the flopp other wise you usualy loking at a high bet on the turn, if you have early position a probe bet at around the pott may do the trick...........
      Hovever I usualy call a raise with AK, and my tracker say it is a loosing play.
      It is a hand it is too easy to overplay/draw to a two card stight and so on....

But it still feels good to be delt AK :P
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      that's what i mean though. if you fail to isolate with AK, you'd do better folding it preflop (i'm serious here)...
      Who said anything about failing to isolate?
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ManniXXX
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      Who said anything about failing to isolate?
      you:

I always try to see the flop with AK for as cheap as possible,

thats opposed to isolating, like water is opposed to fire.
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Wow. I'd appreciate it if you guys didn't quote me completly out of context and delete part of the sentence. Deleting a segment of the quote is understandable but cutting me off mid sentence is unexcusable imho. Let me post this as it actually read in my orginal post

Originally posted by ManniXXX
      I always try to see the flop with AK for as cheap as possible, not discounting the fact I know I should raise PF.
      There, that's the full sentence. And again I'd like to ask, what point do I say I'm faling to isolate?

Quote me properly or don't quote me.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      i'm just saying you have to raise enough to make the pot 3-way or better. this can be 3BB or 10BB depending on the donkeyness of the table, but if you fail to make the pot 3-way or better, you may as well fold AK preflop.

usually speaking, if you want to see the flop for as cheap as possible, you won't always be making it 3-way or better into the flop
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Mmkay. All i meant was I meant I might not be too happy about calling a reraise or a 3bet PF with AK.

Your speaking as if I said I limp it or something.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      nah, what i meant was you're unwilling to bet more than... say... the standard 4BB amount for the purpose of isolation, which may or may not be the case.