Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP3:
      $2.49
      Hero:
      $2.15

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:heart: , Q:spade:
      3 folds, MP3 raises to $0.12, Hero calls $0.12, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0.27) Q:heart: , 8:club: , 7:diamond: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.15, Hero calls $0.15.

Turn: ($0.57) T:club: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.3, Hero calls $0.30.

River: ($1.17) 5:heart: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.3, Hero calls $0.30.

Final Pot: $1.77

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP3 shows a pair of kings (Kh Kc)
      Hero shows (Ah Qs)

MP3 wins with a pair of kings (Kh Kc)
  • 6 replies
    • valancius
      valancius
      Bronze
      6bb raise isn't very standart raise so if he raised before normal 3bb-4bb you can fold this hand and wait for better spot but if you want to play this hand i think calling loose player with AQ wasn't best option to play this situation. I would prefer to raise pre flop against him if i think i have better hand and if he reraise i would fold and if he calls i go broke on flop. This is how i would play in your situation:)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Philfox1985,

Preflop: As mentioned already that 6xBB raise is often times showing a very strong hand, therefore I'd rather just fold the hand, we can't play that profitable our hand when we are playing against unknown and also we don't hit often enough to satisfy the Call. Also we will never know even if our Q pair is good enough postflop.

As lpayed
      Postflop: For the given odds, I'd also Call it and definitely make a note with what he played like that.

Best regards.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Interesting, it was a fairly big initial raise. I hadn't noted whether villan usually raises 3/4 bb's, but it could have been useful information.

On a side note, all the hands I posted have been losing hands. I would say that so far over around 4,000 hands I have been a breakeven player at NL2 (excluding rakeback and FTAPs which push me into the positive).

Problem is that I am not really where I want to be yet, still too many leaks in my game. When I was playing SnG's my ROI was around 20% and I had managed to push my BR from $100 to $190.

Its $195 now, so full ring cash games haven't exactly pushed me much further. Maybe I'm a better SnG player, its probably the case as I'm more comfortable with big blind sizes as my pre-flop play is usually pretty solid. Issue arises when it comes to post flop play, I struggle to know when is a good time to bluff and when my hand is likely to be the best. It might be harder in a way at NL2 to read that as opponents can be very unpredictable and fishy.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Philfox1985
      Interesting, it was a fairly big initial raise. I hadn't noted whether villan usually raises 3/4 bb's, but it could have been useful information.

On a side note, all the hands I posted have been losing hands. I would say that so far over around 4,000 hands I have been a breakeven player at NL2 (excluding rakeback and FTAPs which push me into the positive).

Problem is that I am not really where I want to be yet, still too many leaks in my game. When I was playing SnG's my ROI was around 20% and I had managed to push my BR from $100 to $190.

Its $195 now, so full ring cash games haven't exactly pushed me much further. Maybe I'm a better SnG player, its probably the case as I'm more comfortable with big blind sizes as my pre-flop play is usually pretty solid. Issue arises when it comes to post flop play, I struggle to know when is a good time to bluff and when my hand is likely to be the best. It might be harder in a way at NL2 to read that as opponents can be very unpredictable and fishy.
      I'd say from my experience that cash games are much harder to get used to and a lot more based on opponents and your reads and of course stats on later on game. But on such limits it should be that hard to win, just post hands and try to find the leaks, that's the most important thing in your cash game. Hopefully we will see more posts in the future from you and will also fix your leaks. :)
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Thanks I will do my best.

In general I do fold a lot of my hands to re-raises or pre-flop to a big enough raise, but of course they are not very interesting for an evaluation. Guess I'll keep plugging away and trying to fix my leaks!

It seems like it is coming together slowly. I'm starting to fold in marginal situations far more often, and it has made a big impact compared to the gaping leaks that greeted my initial 1,000 hands (which were -$EV at around 40+BB/100!).

I seem to struggle most against loose aggressive opponents, playing against them just seems to cause a bit of a headache. The general advice pre-flop is to fold to a re-raise unless your starting hand is QQ+ (actually its KK+!), but when opponents 3 bet you that often I guess you have to play tighter then when you do hit a big hand you can 4-bet and take a lot of profit?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Philfox1985
      Thanks I will do my best.

In general I do fold a lot of my hands to re-raises or pre-flop to a big enough raise, but of course they are not very interesting for an evaluation. Guess I'll keep plugging away and trying to fix my leaks!

It seems like it is coming together slowly. I'm starting to fold in marginal situations far more often, and it has made a big impact compared to the gaping leaks that greeted my initial 1,000 hands (which were -$EV at around 40+BB/100!).

I seem to struggle most against loose aggressive opponents, playing against them just seems to cause a bit of a headache. The general advice pre-flop is to fold to a re-raise unless your starting hand is QQ+ (actually its KK+!), but when opponents 3 bet you that often I guess you have to play tighter then when you do hit a big hand you can 4-bet and take a lot of profit?
      Yeah, rather play tighter than loosen up. Try to find such situations and then just post them and we will analyze them. In poker there are just so many different situations that it's hard to say the right range or right play, depends a lot on opponents.