Losing the will to play

• Blade90
      Blade90
      Bronze
      So, last 3 days i played about 15k hands of rush NL5 and lost about 17 stacks . No need to describe the hands i have been losing with and i have no will to post them, but you all probably know how i am running to lose so much. Was just wondering if others have downswing like this and how the hell am i supposed to start winning again. Also will a time come for me to once again start winning AIPF hands with aces???
  • 11 replies
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      Tho, i'm not a cash game player, but you just have to keep playing, i obv understand how it feels(on downswing too, -1k$ in last 4 days, average buy-in = 6$). Spend more time reviewing, watch more videos do shorter sessions if bad beats makes you feel bad and has any effect on your game. It will turn around sooner or later, it always does :)
    • Titicamara
      Titicamara
      Bronze
      Keep grinding and play tighter..
    • pppppp555555
      pppppp555555
      Bronze
      Yap the same way I got broke every few weeks. Got 50 for reffered freinds then after grinding in micros for some reason start to play heads up matches 5 bux loose it then 10 bux loose again 20 bux 2 times broke totaly. And every time time that scenario reduces motivation to play 110 precent. the only thing that keeps me going is free money for reffered friends and knowing that I didint used good bankrollmanagment.
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      No money in Rush, everyone is hitting.
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Having a bit of a rough time myself so decided to step away from rush for awhile... You playing FR or SH? It's the classic call preflop with something shit like T4o, call c-bet, pick up a gutshot on turn and shove then hit straight on river that gets me...
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      To go against the grain of the other advice, I'd suggest taking a short break.

Take a week or so off from poker then ease back into it by watching a few videos, reading some articles and reviewing your biggest losing hands to see if you played them correctly. It's amazing the fresh perspective you get after even a short break.

Your mindset takes an absolute hammering during a downswing like that and a break to clear your head can refocus you and give yourself a fresh start.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by holmeboy
      It's the classic call preflop with something shit like T4o, call c-bet, pick up a gutshot on turn and shove then hit straight on river that gets me...
      Oh yeah, that's my favorite example when I want to describe how terribly some players play :)

And about the topic - that's just the reality of poker. I have even worse downswings from time to time if that makes you feel better. And I use ultra conservative bankroll management, no fancy "shots" to higher limits, no crazy heads up matches for a half of my bankroll, just grinding in the proper limit (Rush). The best thing you can do IMHO is shut the fuck up and keep fighting. If you feel terrible - take a break, exlude yourself from playing for some time if necessary. If you have the guts, you keep moving. If you don't - oh well, there are thousands "lost souls" whining about online poker being rigged and so on :) And it's very normal - only the best can climb to the top.
      That's my philosophy of poker :) And at the same time - philosophy of life.

P.S. If you decide to watch videos and learn - do that when you have a good run. If you learn while feeling miserable - you just waste your time :)
    • Blade90
      Blade90
      Bronze
      Hey guys thanks for the advice. I have decided to take a short break, and I am sure it will do me good. As for this last post, wtf is wrong with u dude i didnt say poker was rigged, and telling people to stfu is rude, especially when they did nothing to insult you in any way..... Ok, thats all I have to say about that :)
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Did I blame you about saying poker is rigged etc? And I didn't tell you to stfu also, I said it is the best thing you can do in general. I do that "rude thing" myself because it works :) You certainly need to have a break because you're taking every word too personal :)
    • Blade90
      Blade90
      Bronze
      Dude i didnt take it personal nor could I since i dont know who u r or care what u say, i just said to keep it to useful comments.... Also i think most people wouldnt say that u need to stfu and would rather say keep calm or something like that. Anyways, no hard feelings...
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      C'mon man, that was just a way to put some motivation in speech. Of course I'm sorry if you felt insulted, but I didn't mean to do that since I don't know you either and have absolutely no reason to do that. Sad that you didn't get my point though, I wanted to give some new advice, apart from all those cliches like "take a break" and "everything's gonna be ok.. someday". Those are not helpful at all IMHO, way better is to motivate you (I would say "kick your own ass", but don't want you feel insulted again :D ), so you could go theough bad moments more easily.
      Anyway, peace and good luck!