[NL2-NL10] Bad Session - Few Hands

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Just had a really bad session in NL2, lucky for me I was playing there as I just burned through 400 BB's in around 1,000 hands. Not nice at all.

So, clearly I was making some mistakes and I think its a good idea for me to evaluate where it was that I went wrong. Firstly, it started really bad, within around 10 minutes I was down around 200 BB's:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG1:
      $10.19
      Hero:
      $2.42

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J:diamond: , J:club:
      UTG1 raises to $0.04, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, 4 folds, UTG1 calls $0.11.

Flop: ($0.33) 7:diamond: , 6:heart: , 3:heart: (2 players)
      UTG1 bets $0.33, Hero raises to $0.76, UTG1 raises to $10.04 (All-In), Hero calls $1.51 (All-In), UTG1 gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Turn: ($4.87) 9:club:
      River: ($4.87) A:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.87

Results follow (highlight to see):
      UTG1 shows three-of-a-kind, sevens (7h 7c)
      Hero shows (Jd Jc)

UTG1 wins with three-of-a-kind, sevens (7h 7c)

and....

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.13
      MP2:
      $8.92

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:spade: , K:club:
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.04, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.17, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.13.

Flop: ($0.36) T:diamond: , 6:diamond: , 4:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.24, MP2 raises to $0.48, Hero raises to $1.96 (All-In), MP2 calls $1.48.

Turn: ($4.28) 5:spade:
      River: ($4.28) 9:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.28

MP2 shows three-of-a-kind, tens (Ts Tc)
      Hero shows (Ks Kc)

MP2 wins with three-of-a-kind, tens (Ts Tc)

Both these hands were to the same Villan. In both cases I should probably have folded on the flop after getting a large amount of resitstance, but I didn't want to throw away such nice cards!!

It has got me thinking about what is the correct play in situations where your over-pair gets re-raised. I'm thinking that in general you shouldn't be willing to commit yourself to an all in with anything less than two-pair, I have been burnt far too many times with top pair/over-pairs and they are just -$EV situations. Maybe you wln a few, but overall do you win enough to make it worthwhile?

Problem was that after this point, I was playing perhaps too aggressively (still tight), and was keen to quickly win back my lost chips. The definition of this is probably going on tilt!

So, I managed a couple more big losses:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $4.89
      MP1:
      $2.86
      BU:
      $1.97

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8:spade: , 7:spade:
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.02, 3 folds, BU raises to $0.04, SB folds, Hero calls $0.02, MP1 calls $0.02.

Flop: ($0.13) 8:heart: , 5:spade: , 2:spade: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.1, MP1 folds, BU raises to $0.22, Hero calls $0.12.

Turn: ($0.57) 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.23, BU calls $0.23.

River: ($1.03) J:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.62, Hero calls $0.40.

Final Pot: $2.27

BU shows three-of-a-kind, jacks (Js Jc)
      Hero shows (8s 7s)

BU wins with three-of-a-kind, jacks (Js Jc)

In this hand I felt like the villan may have hit a set on the flop (after he re-raise me), but I felt my odds were too good to fold with the flush draw available. Turn bet was a bit of a feeler to see where I was with two pair, then the river bet was designed to be a 'block bet' and was 20% of the pot size (as I had missed my flush), but wanted to see a showdown incase two pair was good enough.

and....

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $1.9
      Hero:
      $2.61
      MP2:
      $1.72
      MP3:
      $1.95

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:club: , 8:diamond:
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 calls $0.02, 2 folds, SB calls $0.01, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.08) J:diamond: , T:club: , 7:club: (4 players)
      SB bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.08.

Turn: ($0.32) A:spade: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.12, SB calls $0.12, Hero calls $0.12.

River: ($0.68) 9:spade: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.49, MP3 raises to $1.00, SB folds, Hero raises to $1.51, MP3 raises to $1.73 (All-In), Hero calls $0.22.

Final Pot: $4.14

MP3 shows a straight, ace high (Kc Qc)
      Hero shows (Jc 8d)

MP3 wins with a straight, ace high (Kc Qc)

On this hand I hit an unexpected straight on the river. When the villan started betting into me I was thinking it was my lucky day, but he managed to have picked up a higher straight. I'm thinking I should have just called his raise on the river rather than re-raising all-in?

Finally to top it off....

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $1.92
      BB:
      $2.35
      MP2:
      $1.29
      CO:
      $2
      Hero:
      $4.17

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q:diamond: , J:diamond:
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.11, SB calls $0.10, BB calls $0.09, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.37) Q:heart: , 6:diamond: , 4:heart: (3 players)
      SB bets $0.37, BB folds, Hero calls $0.37.

Turn: ($1.11) 7:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.45, SB raises to $1.44 (All-In), Hero calls $0.99.

River: ($3.99) 9:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $3.99

Hero shows (Qd Jd)
      SB shows a flush, ace high (Ah Jh)

SB wins with a flush, ace high (Ah Jh)

This is the worst of the lot, although please let me know if your dis-agree!!

On the turn I went for the dumbest call. The opponent was clearly checking to me on the turn to induce a bluff bet, which I did (maybe a mistake, not sure with top pair). However, calling the all-in to follow was just throwing away chips. I felt pot-commited, but you could say more realistically that I was tilting and didn't want to give up my hand.

That was the last hand I played of the session, figured I should call it a day there!!
  • 7 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Philfox1985,

First of all before I even go to the hands, next time post every hand into different threads, not that you post your whole session into one thread and we have to scroll down like crazy and to find out where the hand is. Also we can concentrate a lot more and give better evaluations when there is just one hand. Therefore please next time post only one hand into one thread. Thanks! Hopefully you will understand why I am asking for that.

Hand #1
      Preflop: I'd even raise it bigger here, ~$0,20.

As played
      Flop: Since it's 3bet pot I'd also go broke, they could easily come out there with any kind of smaller PPs and etc but I'd just ship it directly.

Hand #2
      Also going broke on 3bet pot, he may as well have there any kind of TP type of hands, draws and maybe even overpairs.

Hand #3
      Bet bigger on turn and river is rather a block-bet/Fold he ain't going to raise there with a lot worse anyways.

Hand #4
      Fold it on turn and otherwise Bet/Fold it also, or at the best I'd Call, never go broke there since we at he best betting a split pot.

Hand #5
      Rather just Check back on turn, his pot size bet could easily mean a very strong hand, as played Bet/Fold, we don't beat anything there.

Best regards.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      My bad, I'll make sure I split the hands in future.

My thoughts were that it might have been useful to split the hands to get context as I slowly went on tilt and made some bad decisions in the later hands.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Philfox1985
      My bad, I'll make sure I split the hands in future.

My thoughts were that it might have been useful to split the hands to get context as I slowly went on tilt and made some bad decisions in the later hands.
      If you see something like that happens in the game then in the future you will know that just to take a small break till you are calmed down. :) Easiest way to play or either set a stop/loss, which grants you to not loose a lot while you tilting. Good luck on tables!
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      I have decided that for the next couple of weeks (at least) I will play only two tables and ban myself from re-buying back in.

The money is fairly trivial now I think about it, especially at these stakes so its not really about limiting losses. For me, the important thing is to think about how I am playing, and carefully consider my decisions. With less tables this will be easier and I will only be able to be stacked off twice in any one day which should limit any desire to go on tilt!!

If I still want more poker action, I will have to watch some more strategy video's or read some articles. Its probably more productive than playing for longer anyway.

PS. Thanks for all your help so far with the hand evaluations. For me its very useful to look back over my worst hands and try to pick them apart, its probably one of the best ways to stem my leaks (of which I'm sure there are still many).
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I will try now analyze all your sentences also. :f_biggrin:

I have decided that for the next couple of weeks (at least) I will play only two tables and ban myself from re-buying back in.

What do you mean by that not re-buying? Always buy to full stack if you are playing BSS. And definitely playing less tables is good decision, it helps a lot more to improve your game. And if you feel that 2tables ain't enough then add it up to 4. :) Good luck with it!

The money is fairly trivial now I think about it, especially at these stakes so its not really about limiting losses. For me, the important thing is to think about how I am playing, and carefully consider my decisions. With less tables this will be easier and I will only be able to be stacked off twice in any one day which should limit any desire to go on tilt!!

Yes, definitely your winrate should be better with less tables and you can more think about the situations and put opponents on the hand. But also take into account that you follow the BRM.

If I still want more poker action, I will have to watch some more strategy video's or read some articles. Its probably more productive than playing for longer anyway.

I wouldn't say that this is a great idea of watching videos and reading at the same time. Rather don't get used to such bad habit. It rather disturbs your game.

PS. Thanks for all your help so far with the hand evaluations. For me its very useful to look back over my worst hands and try to pick them apart, its probably one of the best ways to stem my leaks (of which I'm sure there are still many).

I am glad to help you, hopefully we will see more posts from you in the future and find your leaks and help you move up the limits. :)
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      What do you mean by that not re-buying? Always buy to full stack if you are playing BSS. And definitely playing less tables is good decision, it helps a lot more to improve your game. And if you feel that 2tables ain't enough then add it up to 4. smile Good luck with it!
      I was always playing with four tables before now, it didn't seem to be an issue at all with SnG's. However, with Cash games I should spend more time considering Post Flop decisions.

In terms of re-buying, I will buy a full stack to start the game. But when thats gone, there is no re-buy till the next day.

Yes, definitely your winrate should be better with less tables and you can more think about the situations and put opponents on the hand. But also take into account that you follow the BRM.
      I have around $190 currently, based on that I could comfortably be playing NL5. However, I'm sticking to NL2 until I can say that I have plugged enough leaks to be a winning player (ignoring rakeback etc) at this level.

I wouldn't say that this is a great idea of watching videos and reading at the same time. Rather don't get used to such bad habit. It rather disturbs your game.
      Thats where I have been going wrong :tongue:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      It's rather better than you play nittier BRM than very aggressive. Try to get the basic and then you can always move up when you feel you are ready.

Also the idea of buying in for lets say $2 and then when you lose everything you stop the session rather ain't that great idea. Rather play always fully stacked and then when you have lost like few buyins then quit.