[NL2-NL10] NL2 Set 4 vs straight

• RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      I don't know anything about the players, it's one of the first hands I'm playing.
      I'm playin 44 and I hit a set on the flop, the turn gives everyone with a 3 a straight and a guy goes all in.
      I figured that after all the guys who where in the pot preflop he is not likely to call with a 3 as a kicker or he need to have 33. Or he could have a higher set. So he could have me beat but I looked at what the size of the pot was and how much his all in was and from that information I discided to call.
      He did have 33, but the river gave me a full house. So turned out good for me.
      BUT was it correct to make the call there? Or should I raise the flop? I was a little scared for flush draws

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $0.75
      UTG2:
      $2.72
      MP1:
      $1.43
      Hero:
      $1.99
      BU:
      $2

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 4:spade: , 4:club:
      UTG2 raises to $0.08, MP1 calls $0.08, Hero calls $0.08, 2 folds, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.41) 6:diamond: , 4:heart: , 2:heart: (5 players)
      BB checks, UTG2 bets $0.2, MP1 folds, Hero calls $0.20, BU folds, BB calls $0.20.

Turn: ($1.01) 5:club: (3 players)
      BB raises $0.47 (All-In), UTG2 folds, Hero calls $0.47.

River: ($1.95) 6:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $1.95

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows een full-house, vieren full of zessen (4s 4c)
      BB shows (3s 3d)

Hero wins with een full-house, vieren full of zessen (4s 4c)
  • 3 replies
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      Hi RasTweet,

Want to share my opinion about this hand, playing same limit, so it's useful for me to analyze other player hands, I think it's improving my game also.
      So it's how I would've played this hand:
      Pre-flop:standart call.
      Flop:We hit our set, but we see here some draw possible. You said you was a little scared of flushdraws, but your set is about 2 to 1 favorite, so it's wrong to let them to draw out for the price they think is fine. Make them pay for their draws. Though, UTG2 was a pre-flop raiser, so it could be simply a Cbet by representing an overpair. By the way his bet looks too small on this drawy board - giving good odds to call for flusdraws, so most of the time he's trying to draw as cheap as possible his flush/scare other draws(like gutshots, overcards). And by calling his bet you gave an opportunity to BB to draw his gutshot(4:1 is enough for him like we see :D :D )
      Turn:Must call here, BB would shove here with any card on the turn I think and also his raise is only ~half pot size.

So don't be afraid to raise when you have the best hand at that moment. In NL2 you can find so many people, who will pay you with TP not very good kicker, mid pair + high kicker, they like calling even gutshots. Let them draw cheaply is a big mistake, I did it a lot of time - so it's missed value or lost hand :) Good luck.

P.S. Would recommend to watch some BSS NL5 fullring videos from hasenbraten, and listen his coaching with veriz. It helps me a lot, I really feel that my game is improving even if I'm breaking even so far. :)
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Thx Koosmaras for the reply, gave me a new view on the hand.
      And thx for the information about the videos!! I will watch them. I only play for a year now. Made my 50 into 115 now but I want to improve and gain a lot of experience on the small blinds.
      Best of luck with your game!!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello RasTweet,

Good to see new names posting their hands, hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future to try to fix your leaks and help you move up the limits. Good luck!

About the game, you have to raise it on flop to protect from any kind of draw, otherwise I am also calling for the given odds with our set and against his stack.

Best regards.