[NL2-NL10] NL5 FR Set on Wet Board

• cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Hi guys, I played an interesting hand in my previous session and thought if any of you can help evaluate it for me. My personal opinion was I thought I played bad here.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $8.27
      MP3:
      $6.39

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.96 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with 7:diamond: , 7:club:
      Hero raises to $0.15, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.15, 4 folds.

Flop: ($0.37) J:club: , 9:spade: , 7:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.15, MP3 calls $0.15.

Turn: ($0.67) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.5, Hero calls $0.50.

River: ($1.67) J:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.6, MP3 raises to $1.20, Hero calls $0.60.

Final Pot: $4.07

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a full-house, sevens full of jacks (7d 7c)
      MP3 shows (Ac Ts)

Hero wins with a full-house, sevens full of jacks (7d 7c)

OOP with 7s and went into the flop as the PF Aggressor. When flop came I bet a little half than the pot which I actually just realized when I reviewed my hand. I think I was a little scared of the board that I forgot all about protecting my set.

On the turn a 8 came and straight draws were completed most obvious being the GS with a 10. So I decided to check/call for pot control and still have 10 outs for a FH or Quads.

River came a good card in the form of a Jack for me completing my 7s Full. My thought process was pretty screwed up. I was putting Villain on AJ, 10J, a 10 and also probably a set of 8 which was quite unlikely. So I made a block/small value bet on the river.. Half hoping he would raise so that I would call.

On hindsight he wasn't representing a hand that could beat me now on the river. Certainly not with an over set. The hand that was most likely was a 10 which made the GS followed by 10J and AJ.

The way I went about going through this hand before I made my river bet was pretty screwed up.

Too cautious? Was it a -EV move?
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello cheekopeh,

OOP with 7s and went into the flop as the PF Aggressor. When flop came I bet a little half than the pot which I actually just realized when I reviewed my hand. I think I was a little scared of the board that I forgot all about protecting my set.

As you see yourself that viewing hands and also posting them is very important role of becoming a good poker player. :) You will even realize yourself what kind of mistakes you did and also posting them you will get even more feedback to it.

On the turn a 8 came and straight draws were completed most obvious being the GS with a 10. So I decided to check/call for pot control and still have 10 outs for a FH or Quads.

Yeah, actually I like the idea of Check/Call, since we really don't want to see a raise after our Bet, it would might even put us to fold the hand sometimes, since we ain't getting that good odds, but with Check/Call we still might complete on river and might get his stack. :)

River came a good card in the form of a Jack for me completing my 7s Full. My thought process was pretty screwed up. I was putting Villain on AJ, 10J, a 10 and also probably a set of 8 which was quite unlikely. So I made a block/small value bet on the river.. Half hoping he would raise so that I would call.

Kinda good card for us I'd say, I'd even bet bigger and also go for 3bet and able to play for stacks. :) Since he is that loose you might even consider sometimes just shipping it.

On hindsight he wasn't representing a hand that could beat me now on the river. Certainly not with an over set. The hand that was most likely was a 10 which made the GS followed by 10J and AJ.

Yeah, a strong hand he would raise on flop already. :)

Too cautious? Was it a -EV move?

It can't never be -EV if you winning money. :) You just lose value with playing it that passively. Rather bet bigger on flop and also bigger on river and as well maybe even consider shipping it but if not then just make a 3bet for value.

Best regards.
    • cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Yea thanks lots for the evaluation Veriz :)

Just kinda unhappy I wasn't able to value bet more there cause it's always difficult to hit a set and when I get it I really wanna stack off someone but wasn't able to do so.

Thanks for the effort to view and evaluate all these hands!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by cheekopeh
      Yea thanks lots for the evaluation Veriz :)

Just kinda unhappy I wasn't able to value bet more there cause it's always difficult to hit a set and when I get it I really wanna stack off someone but wasn't able to do so.

Thanks for the effort to view and evaluate all these hands!
      You are welcome and I am happy to help you! Just keep going the hands and find more leaks in your play. The best way to increase your winrate. :)