Bankroll / build / management

• Joriskok
      Joriskok
      Bronze
      Hello my fellow pokerplayers,

I have a problem.. or adleast i kinda start thinking it is becomming a problem.
      I play poker for a couple of years now and i do manage to make some nice cashes now and than.
      Most times my low bankroll gets a fast boost cus i take down some sng`s or had some luck at the cashgames..
      When that happens something seems to hit me.. i guess its greed or something.
      I start playing to high stakes and if i loose some i get even more frustrated.
      Eventualy i loose my whole roll again.. this story had repeated itself over and over again.
      The frustrating part is i know i am a descent player.. if i play live i mostly cash some..

I do know what my problem is: no bankroll management and small dicipline.
      I have read so much forums and threats about bankroll management but i do not feel comfortable with alot of them.

I hope someone can help me out here with these two questions:

What is the best way to boost a bankroll (start) lets say 50 dollars... to a safer amount like 500 dollar. I think this is the hardest part in poker.
      Grind up in cashgames or sng`s?? i feel there is a big difference in the way of playing proper cashgames or sng`s .. mixing them up to much is not good for the play i think..

Does someone have a good working chart or something with the limits i should play with a certain roll?

Please help me out here... cus this problem f***s up my fun in poker.

thanks in advance dudes ;)
  • 9 replies
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      there is no solution... oh wait, there is...

READ some strategy articles!

about BRM: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1534/1/
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      I've always advocated playing hu sngs, starting at 2.20 is quite fine BRM moving down to $1.10's if you drop to 30$. You learn about how important position is, you learn about bet sizings, hand ranges, hand reading and how to use BRM.
    • NeilSimpson
      NeilSimpson
      Bronze
      i have the EXACT same problem............3 times in the last 6 months ive blown a 2k BR by being a tool.........i started with 50 bucks at the start of this month and grinded up to 2k playing mtt's and some cash.........tyhen i decided to be an idiot......(4 tabling rush and playing stupidly high limits)....I do this everytime.....its simply a discipline problem.....when you are winning easily at one level it is so tempting to just say...."i could be making so much more if i play higher limits"....but when i play higher limits i play worse and gamble for some stupid reason, just trying t omake a quick win. you have to just accept that you cant do this unless your a complete luckbox. if you're playing cash you should have 25 B.I's as a minimum....so $2500 if your playing 50/1 etc, if your playing mtt's you should have a bigger roll because the variance is higher so anything up to 100 B.i's is good.....50 as a minimum id say. im the same as you....i reasonably solid winning player but still lots to learn. its as much about how you manage your money as how well you play....you just have to be disciplined!!
    • teddykgv47
      teddykgv47
      Basic
      this could be of some help hopefully: http://poker101basics.wordpress.com/2011/01/26/what-to-do-when-your-confidence-drops/

if you're being overconfident chances are you simply don't understand what poker really is. BR management is good, but there is way more than that if you want to be able to control yourself.
    • the_typhoon
      the_typhoon
      Silver
      Originally posted by Joriskok
      What is the best way to boost a bankroll (start) lets say 50 dollars... to a safer amount like 500 dollar. I think this is the hardest part in poker.
      Grind up in cashgames or sng`s?? i feel there is a big difference in the way of playing proper cashgames or sng`s .. mixing them up to much is not good for the play i think..
      FL08 @ stars :P

Remember: The fastest way is not necessarily the best.
    • Joriskok
      Joriskok
      Bronze
      Thanks so far guys for the commends.
      Some might be very helpfull.
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      for a short bankroll, you need a short stack strategy ;)
    • vegas2
      vegas2
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Joriskok

...The frustrating part is i know i am a descent player...

...my problem is: no bankroll management and small dicipline...

I think it's a paradoxon
    • Joriskok
      Joriskok
      Bronze
      I need to say freddy, very nice articel! thanks