[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL30 Strange line from an opponent with nut flush draw

• fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      I'm a bit puzzled here. I hit a pair on the flop plus the draw for second best flush. At the start I'm a bit worried about original raiser having the ace of diamonds, but my fears subside when he makes a large protection bet on the flop. I automatically exclude ace of diamonds from his range because why would he want to force weaker draws out? So on the river I pretty confidently call his raise, however he shows an ace of diamonds...

I'm like, WTF? Right now I'm wondering if he intentionally used deception or just didn't know what he was doing on the flop. Any thoughts?

OnGame - $0.30 NL (5 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

UTG: $31.65
      CO: $73.06
      BTN: $33.48
      SB: $57.58
      Hero (BB): $62.41

SB posts SB $0.15, Hero posts BB $0.30

Pre Flop: ($0.45) Hero has J:spade: K:diamond:

UTG calls $0.30, fold, BTN raises to $1.20, fold, Hero calls $0.90, UTG calls $0.90

Flop: ($3.75, 3 players) 6:diamond: 5:diamond: J:diamond:
      Hero checks, UTG checks, BTN bets $2.85, Hero calls $2.85, fold

Turn: ($9.45, 2 players) Q:club:
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($9.45, 2 players) 9:diamond:
      Hero bets $4.80, BTN raises to $13.00, Hero calls $8.20

BTN shows A:diamond: K:club: (Flush, Ace High) (PreFlop 100%, Flop 100%, Turn 100%)
      BTN wins $33.95
  • 2 replies
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well i don't think his ever bluffing the river and his never value betting worse so it a fold once he raises. Personally i would just raise the flop and get it in if his at least somewhat aggressive so you don't get into difficult spots OOP. The way you played it i would of make a bigger raise on the river and fold to a raise.

Why would you discount an A of diamonds after a big bet on the flop? Its not like he has the nuts there and against any pair he has around 40% equity if he has a lower ace or you have one of his overcard outs dominated so he really doesn't mind a fold there. And even if you have 22 there he doesn't mind if you fold that since you fold out your equity share.

And on the turn his check back is fine as well since he has a ton of equity no matter what you have, but he pretty much has to fold to a raise.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      with K high flush I think you can b/c river, since sometimes he would raise there Q high raise or trying to bluff you out without flush
      I´d also c/r flop and b/c turn. You can make fold his overpairs without flushdraw and since you hold top pair+ second flushdraw they might easily get all-in just with A high flushdraw