PokerStars Ring Game Changes: Effective January 27th, 2011

• PokerStarsSteve
      PokerStarsSteve
      Bronze
      PokerStars will be making substantial changes to No-Limit Hold’em ring game offerings starting immediately. New 6-max tables of No-Limit Omaha Hi/Lo will also be added. PokerStars would like to thank all players who made suggestions about ring game buy-ins this past year for their input.

Introducing CAP Tables
      PokerStars has been testing ‘CAP’ tables at certain stakes and game types for the past several months. These tables will now be offered more widely as a part of the standard PokerStars offering.

‘CAP’ tables place a limit on how much each player can wager over the course of a single hand. When this amount has been wagered, the player is considered to be all-in for the remainder of the hand.

The ‘CAP’ is always the same for each hand, and always the same for each player at the table. PokerStars will initially deploy only 20bb CAP tables that limit each player’s total betting to 20 big blinds in each hand.

CAP tables will initially be listed alongside other tables in the No-Limit and Pot Limit lobbies. PokerStars may move CAP tables to separate lobby tabs in the future. Games with caps larger than 20bb may also be offered in the future.

6-handed and 9-handed tables
      The following buy-in options will be offered at No-Limit Hold’em (NLHE) tables with 6 or more seats:

0.01/0.02 and 0.02/0.05 blinds
      • 40-250bb tables, unlabelled. This offering is unchanged.

0.05/0.10 and 0.10/0.25 blinds
      • 40-100bb, without lobby labels. This will include all Euro currency tables.
      • 100-250bb tables, labelled as ‘deep’

0.25/0.50 blinds and above
      • 20bb CAP, allowing buy-ins of 20-50bb, labelled ‘CAP’
      • 40-100bb, without lobby labels. This will include all Euro currency tables.
      • 100-250bb tables, labelled as ‘deep’

Tables with 20-50bb buy-in ranges will no longer be offered for 6-max and 9-max NLHE.

Tooltips explaining the exact minimum and maximum allowable buy-in at each table will still be displayed when the mouse pointer is hovered over a table name in the PokerStars lobby.

New Tables: 6-max No-Limit Omaha Hi/Low
      New 6-max tables will be offered for No-Limit Omaha Hi/Low at stakes ranging from 0.10/0.25 to 3/6.

Implementation
      These changes will be implemented in two steps.

The first step, the addition of new tables, will occur immediately. NLHE Cap tables will be deployed at limits $0.25/$0.50 and above and No-Limit Omaha Hi/Low 6-max tables will be deployed at all currently offered stakes.

Removal of NLHE 20-50bb tables and changing of Euro NLHE tables from 35-100bb to 40-100bb will take place on February 10th. Changes to table labels will also take place on this date. Tables of discontinued types will slowly be closed as they empty, but some may exist until the next server restart.

Heads-up NLHE and Omaha
      PokerStars is still considering making changes to table buy-in minimums and maximums for heads-up NLHE and all omaha games. Player input and suggestions for possible changes to these tables are appreciated. Any changes to these tables will be announced and implemented in February.

Thanks
      PokerStars would like to thank all players for their patience in waiting for these changes. It is important that PokerStars consider all options and opinions before making decisions about ring game buy-ins.
  • 31 replies
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      GODLY!
    • sk345di
      sk345di
      Global
      Hello Steve and thank you Pokerstars
    • Hajler
      Hajler
      Bronze
      Yes!

It will be interesting to see if the fish will flow back to 40-100 or not. One time!
    • SickAtHome
      SickAtHome
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PokerStarsSteve
      Heads-up NLHE and Omaha
      PokerStars is still considering making changes to table buy-in minimums and maximums for heads-up NLHE and all omaha games. Player input and suggestions for possible changes to these tables are appreciated. Any changes to these tables will be announced and implemented in February.
      Lower stakes? They start at PLO50 if I'm not mistaken.
    • WaraiOtoko
      WaraiOtoko
      Bronze
      Welcome Steve, and thanks for great news :f_love:
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      edited so that steve doesn't doomswitch me

WE LOVE YOU STARS!!!
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

Is that profitable to play with SSS on CAP tables? If not, I have to move to another poker room. :s_frown:
      I love PokerStars and I feel very sad to leave there. :s_cry:
    • Evante
      Evante
      Bronze
      Yes any advice for playing on cap tables? i am lucky enough to be at low limit not micro. micro SSS is screwed, period
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      I kinda dont see the difference between buying in for 20bb and being capped to 20bb per hand. So i really don't see why you can't short stack on them.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      It's either going to go one way or the way.
      Fish > CAP
      OR
      Fish > 40-100
      ^^I obviously hope for the later.

Re. SSSers, they will all be in the same environment.
      Not to sure how good this is for them because SSSers are supposed to have an advantage vs BSSers but I know for a fact that SSSing has worked for me and a friend on the CAP tables.
      But maybe we had a heater ;) muahahaha

P.S, Thanks Steve (Official Representative)

Regards,

Kyle.
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Where the fish will go? CAP tables or 40bb-100bb tables?
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Time will only tell.
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      to answer all the people here, SSS does work at the CAP tables. yes, you will need to adapt your ranges (mine are very different than the SHC for example).

SSS vs other 20bb stacks is profitable, but it is a very different game compared to SSS vs a 100bb stack.

cap tables will allow SSS players to maintain higher winrates compared to the old 20-50bb tables, hopefully allowing more SSS players to actually break even or be winning players.

perhaps it's time for pokerstrategy to look at their SSS articles and adapt them for the changing poker enviroment? i dont think any sites currently offer 20-100bb tables? (actually, PKR does, but the traffic is very low, and the interface is horrible)

Steve, has there been any official word as to why 20bb cap tables are only starting at NL50? not that it bothers me, but it does make it impossible for new SSS players from pokerstrategy to choose your site for their initial $50. i'm assuming a large part of the problem was the abundance of chinese shorties at NL25 and below? they never seemed to be able to beat the game above NL25 for some reason... players such as deerbox for example were losing players, but winning overall thanks to the VIP programme... is stars trying to stop that from happening? or are there just not enough micro players to justify splitting the player pool?
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Hi AlCaTrAzzALZ,

How you know deerbox is winning player (overall)?
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JHTAN
      How you know deerbox is winning player (overall)?
      Earnings + Rakeback > 0

Depending on your level of VIP status your rewards are roughly 30-32% rakeback. (That's from memory. There's plenty of charts where you can find the real numbers.)
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      what, first bronze now basic? poker room reps deserve more respect than that! time to start working on avatars PS.com, it's been long overdue :D
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by supeyrio
      what, first bronze now basic? poker room reps deserve more respect than that! time to start working on avatars PS.com, it's been long overdue :D
      I think you have it all wrong....

He is 'BASIC'ALLY the best rep ever ;)
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      Dear Pokerstars,

Thankyou for getting rid of the 20-50bb tables and replacing them with CAP tables. It is such a pleasure to be able to sit at a table and take multiple BI from fishies without having to rathole. This change will enable us dirty dirty shortstackers to have winrates far GREATER THAN BEFORE! Possibly even maintaining winrates that even our 100bb cousins cannot sustain.

Sincerely yours,

AlC

• DuckMySuck
      DuckMySuck
      Bronze
      [ ] sample