[NL2-NL10] NL10 3betting AJo aggainst LAG

• Oly0909
      Known players:

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.96 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:heart: , J:club:
      5 folds, CO raises to $0,35, Hero raises to $1,05, 2 folds, CO calls $0,70.

Flop: ($2,25) 9:diamond: , 6:spade: , 3:heart: (2 players)
      CO bets $1,25, Hero calls $1,25.

Turn: ($4,75) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      CO bets $2,2, Hero calls $2,20.

River: ($9,15) 2:spade: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $9,15

Since he is openraising from late position 75% I think 3bet with AJo is for value, and I decided to call him down because of his AF of 11. Is this bed play?
  • 2 replies
    • Duudalinja

If you think you can 3bet AJ for value (that means he'll call with worse Ax/Jx), it's fine, but usually I feel better calling with those hands to keep max of his worse Aces and Jacks in, because if he's laggy stealer, he should have enough of them in his range. And doesn't automatically mean he'll call 3bets OOP too loosely, so be aware of that. Ofc I don't deny your reads, as I said - 3bet is possible.

As played I'd fold flop in fact. We're pretty much missed it and it's hard to beat much of his donking range, unless he donks everything, including Kx/Qx hands and stuff like that - but I doubt that and I think he has something he's going to defend as remember - it's still a 3bet pot, so his range should be strong. I'll just wait for better spot.

Good luck!
    • veriz
      Hello Oly0909,

Your play doesn't make sense at all, you don't even get to fold weaker pairs here or PPs. If you plan to Call both streets then rather raise it on flop! Otherwise against such opponent doesn't really make sense to Call for the reason that they are often going to 2nd barrel, unless you have some other reads for example CBet flop & CBet turn.

Best regards.