post flop question

• staceyb1986
      staceyb1986
      Bronze
      I find on some of the low stakes games the players are very lose and totally nuts and it's impossible to get them off a hand no matter how much I bet.

I have found myself so often in situations where they have gone on to outdraw me (very often with runner runner) after making what I would consider to be a bad call.

I always bet if I have hit the flop, am i going bout this in the wrong way, should i only be betting if i have hit top pair or even better? Would this save me money in the long term. Especially on these crazy low stakes tables! lol.

I seem to do fine in tourneys but cash ends up costing me lol.

Any suggestions appreciated! stace xx
  • 5 replies
    • apehce
      apehce
      Bronze
      You just have to adapt to the other players' style. If they are far too loose, play only premium cards, there will be someone to pay you off anyway. Just don't get bored if you don't get good cards in a while, on a table like that, you will rarely play a hand, but when you hit, you will hit big.
      my 2 cents
    • silphonica
      silphonica
      Bronze
      On loose tables, you should be playing tight.

However, say if you hit top pair on a flop, always make reasonable sized bets (don't inflate the pot though!) of just over half the pot.

For two reasons.

1) protect your hand

2) if they call with junk, and continue to do so, you will have pot control (if they arent raising) and if they out river you, you will have lost a little but not your bankroll.

You won't get out rivered 100% of the time, but it happens so at least that way you can win big on premiums and lose little if maniacs do call you with junk and beat you post-flop.
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Thanks a lot for the answers.

Versus those kind of players you can even overbet the pot. If they call like mad, there is no need to balance your game, because they won't see the differences in our betting lines.

So to sum it up:
      - table is loose => play tighter
      - just continue after the flop with premium hands
      - bet higher

Best regards,
      Hannes
    • staceyb1986
      staceyb1986
      Bronze
      Thank you! Much appreciated. I would normally try an over bet it in order to get em off it before they get chance to outdraw me, but on these tables it just doesnt work lol.

Thanks a lot for your comments, guess patience for the very best hands is the key! xx
    • Ricco88
      Ricco88
      Bronze
      read the structure of the board and give your opponents a a certain handrange, try to cbet on dry flops as much as possible. some opponents do this aswell, try to calm them down with a flatcall in positon when they check the turn you have great chance to take the pot.
      the most important thing in poker is position, dont peg to your holecards that much. its more about what happens and what could be, the way to beat is longterm - beeing favourite in most of all situations makes you a winning player :s_biggrin: