How to make a honest assessment of your current poker skill?

• suaveplayer
      What is the most realiable way to measure how good of a player you are?

Should one just base his assessment on how much money he makes like in

"I make 250K USD per year, I obviously destroy in poker", or is there anything

I´ve not had the results I expected, but I like to think that I am a better player

than my results suggest (I am winner yes, but nowhere near the point where I

can let go of college and just live the life of real pro). But most likely every fish

think they rock at poker themselves, so perhaps my results are indeed a

measure of how well I can play.

So, what do you think?
  • 2 replies
    • bradomurder
      If you don't have a good sample on hands/games you could post hands and see if you played them right and post on other peoples hands and see if the judge has the same opinion. You could get someone good to sweat session you and get them to tell you if they think you're beating the stakes.

After a while you can sort of get a feel for if you're beating the game or not based on how many mistakes you see, how much those mistakes are worth and weather you'd be able to make the correct play in that situation.

Once you have a decent sample then results are a the best way to tell. I think everyone goes through a phase of thinking they are better than they are and thinking they are unlucky. For me it lasted until I got enough of a sample to know roughly how good I am.
    • viewer88
      Your result is subject to luck and variance but it's also the best indicator you have. Play a decent sample and figure out your hourly (HEM shows this).