[NL2-NL10] Jacks full in position against aggressor

• cheekopeh
      Hi all, interesting hand I played in previous session. Having issues again with value betting =\

Slowplay or Speedplay--> (new term I came out for myself) for max value?

Known players:

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.96 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with J:spade: , J:club:
      2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.20, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.20, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.47) J:diamond: , 4:spade: , 3:club: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.25, Hero calls $0.25.

Turn: ($0.97) 3:heart: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.6, Hero calls $0.60.

River: ($2.17) 9:club: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $1.35, Hero raises to $2.80, MP2 calls $1.45.

Final Pot: $7.77

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP2 shows (Th Td)
      Hero shows a full-house, jacks full of threes (Js Jc)

Hero wins with a full-house, jacks full of threes (Js Jc)

Pre-flop: So I didn't 3bet with Jacks because it's a huge leak in my game to overplay 10s-Qs post flop and also go all in when they are 2nd pair..

Flop: Top set in position with only a straight draw out and Villain c-betting is always nice.. So here I decided to just slowplay. 1) To appear weak and maybe induce a second barrel from Villain. 2) Not raise because if Villain has air he would fold to any raise.

Turn: Full house for me and again Villain bets out and I am thinking here should I re-raise him? It seems like he has a made hand and not air. Of course I'm trying to get all the money in but I put him on solely top pair which was the case Jack (although it was pretty unlikely) and I didn't think he would have gone broke with just a top pair.

River: He three barrels which to me was either an AJ or Qs. Here again I'm thinking should I go all in but if I'm the one having AJ or Qs I would definitely not call an all in here. Which explains my min raise..

Conclusion: So yea my read sucked. In fact I gave too much credit to Villain for AJ or Qs when he only had 10s. But still, would he have called with 10s if I went all in? Did I miss out on some more value?

I realize what I'm doing in hands is that I put Villain on a range of hands and then actually decide what to do based on what I would react if I had his range of hands. Like playing against myself I guess.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello cheekopeh,

Preflop: Of course, I don't mind just Calling here and play in smaller pot when you don't feel that comfortable with such hands but if we had more sample size on him and he still would raise like that then I'd rather consider 3betting.
      Flop: For the reason that he will have hard time Calling with a lot worse here then I don't mind calling it and letting him catch something on turn or something similar.
      Turn: I'd just raise it here for the given reason that we want his full stack.

As played
      River: When he still bets into us pretty strong and he is pretty fishy then I'd consider just shoving be better.

Best regards.