Poker / Gamer related illness and injury

• hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      People on this forum play lots of online poker. I was wondering if anybody has suffered any illnesses or injuries as a result of sitting at the computer for hours on end.

While my chronic back/neck/shoulder/hip pain began before I started playing, the time I spend now in front of the computer doesn't help things.

I also developed a ganglion in my wrist. Now I cannot say that one caused the other, but I never had one before and it developed in my right wrist (I am right handed, the mouse hand).

Also, I was wondering if serious grinders and online pros develop eye strains...

Just curious.
  • 12 replies
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      is trying to make every move +EV an illness? ?(
      i have that one. prepoker it was still mild, and less defined.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      i developed RSI in my folding finger.. im such a nit.

seriously though, i had to change my key bindings and its no longer an issue.
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      once i got a cut on my finger when i hit my table after a bad beat.
    • Jafreiteris
      Jafreiteris
      Bronze
      There was a dude wich was trying to get pokestars super nova satus, and went insame from too much time on poker. He said he lost feel of time, also have started to see dead family members. Don't spend to much time playing poker, becouse your brain when you are playing are in high state, and if you overloaded you know what can hapen.
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jafreiteris
      There was a dude wich was trying to get pokestars super nova satus, and went insame from too much time on poker. He said he lost feel of time, also have started to see dead family members. Don't spend to much time playing poker, becouse your brain when you are playing are in high state, and if you overloaded you know what can hapen.

hey i got that tooo.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      seeing dead family members? it's never gotten quite that bad for me
    • THESHade
      THESHade
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      seeing dead family members? it's never gotten quite that bad for me yet
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      I often see Jesus, is that normal? Oh and he tells me "fold it lol" everytime I pick up smth like AA preflop or full house on the flop.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      My dick hurts sometimes
    • Steelbrewer
      Steelbrewer
      Bronze
      Bones and joints should make the top of the list of problems related to working with computer. So yeah all those neck, wrist, back pains are quite typical for people who spend their time sittibg in front of the monitor and using mouse. To prevent such problems two things can be done
      a) stretching and exercising after certain amount of time spent working with computer (eg. 10 minutes after each hour).
      b) using proper ergonomical posture and convenient hardware when working with computer (eg. binding your hotkeys, using the right chair set up) - I am sure you can google a lot of info on this topic.

With modern technology out there problems with eyes are not typical anymore and since most eye problems come from eye muscles fatigue you should treat such problem the same way any other muscles related porblem (special stretching ,exercising).
    • Steelbrewer
      Steelbrewer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      My dick hurts sometimes
      Pain is good, it means he is still alive.
    • Jafreiteris
      Jafreiteris
      Bronze
      I have bought masaging chair for about $80 which masages back shoulders and hips. Had back pain for half a month from new year, and fix that in couple of minutes. And also feels really good too. The only bad thing about that chair that you need to plug a cord, and when i sitting in that chair i always think that this day can be last in my life.