Windows 7 Reinstal and Elephant too.

• stbab4
      stbab4
      Bronze
      Hello,
      I whant to reinstal my windows 7, and i will format the "C" partition.
      I need to know what data i need to save in order to reinstal successfully the elephant program without losing any informations or something like that.
      Aslo, i don't think i remember the user name i have used when i created the Postgre SQL server. Is there any whay to find out what user name i had entered when i created the server?
      The thing is that i whant to do everything right, because, after the windows7 reinstal and after formating partition "C" it will be to late for regrets :) )

The informations that i need now cand be used by other memmers in the future when they gonna reinstal windows too, so that's why i think that this Thread is very important.

Because i play poker on PokerStars, what data i need to save from the PokerStars, something like: hand history, player notes???

Thank you !
  • 7 replies
    • Larres
      Larres
      Bronze
      Hi stbab4,

you should backup your current database content (at settings/database management) and/or your hand history originals on any other drive than c:, f.e. an external storage device and reimport the backup/the originals later on using the new Elephant on your new Windows 7 system.

The database credentials are displayed within the Elephant at help/info, but because the installation of postgres onto a fresh Windows 7 system will require a complete new database setup you don't need to remember any old postgre credentials for this operation.

Bye,
      L

PS: I suggest to use the latest Elephant version (v0.97) from our blog.
    • stbab4
      stbab4
      Bronze
      Yes, i have backed up my Data base like you said, but the exported Database has only 83MB. When i go to the PostgreSQL folder in Program Files, this folder has 1,4 GB. Is just me, or is something realy strange here. Why is that folder so big? In PostgreSQL folder, the folder named Data has almost 1.4 Gb. What is in that folder so much? Do i need to copy that folder to be sure?
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      You could copy and save the /data/ folder but it it can not be guaranteed that you can you use this data again with a new psql installation.

Have you got more then 1 database?

but the exported Database has only 83MB
      Because .txt / Text files are created. 83MB in Text files sounds like a lot of hands to me...
    • stbab4
      stbab4
      Bronze
      Yes, 83MB of Txt are a lot of hands. But is whas wondering why the "Data" folder is so big in comparation with my exported data base. I hope i have done everything right and that i have all my database backed up.
      From the PokerStars software i have saved my hand History and my player notes, and they have a similar size (86MB).
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      Well, there is much more to a database then just text files. Thats why this folder is as big as it is.

Backing up the original hanhistory was a good idea, you can always reimport your original handhistory in case something goes wrong.
    • stbab4
      stbab4
      Bronze
      Ok, i have reinstaled Windows and Elephant, and now, after importing all the hands, the "Data" folder has 1,13GB. Everything i think is ok, i have al my hand history :)
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      :s_thumbsup: :s_thumbsup: