Higher limits and the edge

• cobby
      cobby
      Bronze
      Hi,

i'm wondering how you can make money in higher limits. I mean, it's sure that you need an edge over your opponent, to get into profit + to pay the rake, which is not difficult in lower limits, because people are often playing for fun or aren't that disciplined. But what about higher limits? I mean, when you play 40$ sngs or 3/6$ cash games? Everybody who plays these limits is mostly well informed about how the game works??
      A great example would be in las vegas when, let's say brunson, antonious, negreanu and chan are sitting at one table, every evening? Actually they couldn't make money over the long run, but only loose, because they're about equal good so, that money only walks around the table, but with paying rake every hand they loose money, you understand?

So, what do you think are the limits in cash games and tounreys where it's not too difficult to have an edge?
      And what do you think about the example i mentioned above? How do they make money, when they have about equal strength?

Like to hear your comments
      Greeetz
  • 3 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi cobby!

The rake is more important on the lower limits. At higher limits the amount of rake compared to the pot sizes is really small. That's why your edge doesn't have to be that big on higher limits. A small edge suffices to be a winning player. The pros in your example don't make any money from each other but only one bad player who joins them and wants to play with the stars once in a while is enough to feed all of them. That's why they are sitting there I guess.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • cobby
      cobby
      Bronze
      isn't it always percentage. Around 10%. This adds up to 200$ in 2000$ pot. For me that sounds pretty much.
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      it´s always a percentage but it´s capped at e.g. 3$
      ftp only takes 0,5$ max for every raked hu pot. no matter how big the pot is