4X blind

• Poker4Taxi
      Poker4Taxi
      Bronze
      Many people (my poker play friends who know more than me and the reason i joined this site) raise 3X or sometimes 2.5X as their standard raise.

Why does the BSS say 4x? Is the reasoning pshycological or mathmatical? (i play at 0.1/0.2 atm if that makes a difference)

many thanks
  • 5 replies
    • Hajler
      Hajler
      Bronze
      I think the main reason a 4x raise size is recommended at the micros is that you will generally have a stronger range and want to make your opponents pay more for preflop mistakes. A lot of people vary their raise sizes by position as well as other things, but for NL2 I think 4x as a default size is fine.

I recommend you watch this video on bet sizing when you hit silver, or just search 2+2 because I'm sure there is quite a bit written on the subject.

Hope it helps.
    • Poker4Taxi
      Poker4Taxi
      Bronze
      Many thanks. Silver is a way off at the moment but I will do the search.

0 strategy points atm
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      I prefer the 3X raise, because I like to play a lot of marginal hands, and don't want all my bluffs and semi-bluffs cost too much. 4X raise I'd say is only for value.
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      I know some people who like raising depending on their position, e.g. 2.5x from early, 3x from middle and 3.5x from late. Though 4x + 1x per limper is standart in micro stakes for me. And yea, posts above are right, because this bet size is usually for value, making micro players pay for their mistakes. Also with this OR you usually find yourself HU or against 2 opponents post-flop and most of the time you can take the pot with Cbet.

Here's pretty good discussion about this topic.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Poker4Taxi
      Many thanks. Silver is a way off at the moment but I will do the search.
      You've already received many great replies about bet sizing, but I just wanted to point out that getting to silver only takes 9-10 days if you play enough to make at least 1 SP every day.