[NL2-NL10] AQ getting lost

• diversfx
      diversfx
      Silver
      Please look at this hand I think it was ok until the river.Then I kind of got lost.should my flop and turn bets have been bigger?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $1.65
      BB (Hero):
      $4.79
      MP1:
      $2.66
      MP2:
      $3.76
      MP3:
      $4.09
      CO:
      $4.41
      BU:
      $1.94

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, Q.
      MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.04, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, MP2 calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.26) 5, A, Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, MP2 calls $0.12.

Turn: ($0.5) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.36, MP2 calls $0.36.

River: ($1.22) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.58, MP2 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.22.
  • 9 replies
    • tryhardnoob
      tryhardnoob
      Bronze
      Preflop: Raise more, you have one limper and you are OOP, raise .24 here.
      Flop: if played like you did. Bet 0.20 or you give to good odds to a FD.
      Turn: if played like you did. Bet is okay can make it two cent more.

Why do you bet river? Do you think he really calls with worse, and If he do would he really call that big of a bet?

I hope this help some :f_p:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello diversfx,

Preflop: Since we have one limper and also we are OOP, you have to raise bigger here, therefore I'd do it ~$0,24.

As played
      Flop: I'd also CBet bigger here, ~$0,20. Your bet is way too smallish and giving great odds for any kind of Call.
      Turn: Could consider betting like $0,40 but it ain't that much of difference.
      River: And yes, you can likely Bet for value here, there are still a lot worse hands to Call and the sizing is also somewhat fine for the reason that we mostly are playing Bet/Fold for the reason that he is often having in his raising range a flush. Otherwise I don't like Check/Call for the reason that we still get a lot value from any Ax hands, maybe even worse pairs, which he can easily Check behind.

Best regards.
    • tryhardnoob
      tryhardnoob
      Bronze
      I don't think check/call is correct river I'm just not a big fan of the betsize. I think betting .36 would be better, or many aces with bad kickers fold way to easy.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by tryhardnoob
      I don't think check/call is correct river I'm just not a big fan of the betsize. I think betting .36 would be better.
      And I didn't say anything about Check/Call only that betting is better. :) Or why did you press the "button"? Any other questions.
    • tryhardnoob
      tryhardnoob
      Bronze
      I want to know your opinion on betting smaller on the river, what pro and cons do you see?. :f_ugly:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by tryhardnoob
      I want to know your opinion on betting smaller on the river.
      Oh, I see. Actually betting this size there is fine, so 1/2. And often times I'd rather do it a bit bigger as he did than smaller just the reason is that if he is planning to Call then he will also Call a bit bigger bet. Plus we also extract more value from him, but meanwhile sometimes when he bet smallish they might consider this sign of weakness and might even try to bluff-raise. But often times that ain't that case since people don't bluff that often on those limits on river, more with made hands.

Overall, the main reason for betting a bit bigger is just that there are so many hands which may pay us, and therefore I'd also make the sizing a bit bigger as hero did.
    • diversfx
      diversfx
      Silver
      Thanks for the input.Here was my thought process during this hand.

Pre-flop: I chose this small raise partly for pot control as it was early session and I had no real solid reads,also to disguise my hand somewhat.

Flop: Here I figure "don't chase him off" top 2 is way above most limp call ranges. Flush draw well maybe/Ax perfect KQ/QJ/J10.

Turn: Thinking I've have gotten about as much as I can out of this pot.Yes i should have bet harder here.

River: Now the flush hits.Bet was a blocking value bet.Didn't want to check and give him a bluff op.Plus I may still get paid by Ax or other hands KQ etc.
      Was not thrilled about the paired board either
    • tryhardnoob
      tryhardnoob
      Bronze
      This is my though process

Preflop you need to bet higher you are OOP and he will call you with a wider range of hands for that reason. When you have AQ you have equity against most limp hand, and that is the reason to why you should raise, the raise is +EV.

On flop you do not want to think “don’t chase him off” you want to think “can I get value here?” when you answer yes to that question (which should be pretty easy to do here) you want to ask yourself another question, “How much can I bet for value?”
      So there is a FD on the board I’d say the minimum you can bet is 75% pot or you give him to good odds. Basically if he has the flushdraw and you bet under 75% YOU will lose money in the long run. So the conclusion is that we need to bet 75% or more, rather more than less.
      Then we need to think about his range, would he call a too big bet with a worse hand than ours? Normally no, so we can’t make it too big, let’s keep it close to 75% pot.

Same goes for turn , on the river you don't have to bet for protection and can make the bet smaller.

Again this is just my though process and I appreciate critique. Peace man! :f_p:
    • diversfx
      diversfx
      Silver
      True I would play this differently later in the session with more hands for a read. I Just don't like playing big pots early on cold reads.