[NL2-NL10] 55 - No play from MP! and the reasons why

• Gremlin68
      Gremlin68
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)      
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG+2:
      $49.16
      Hero:
      $4.65

0.10/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 5:club: , 5:diamond:
      UTG+2 calls $0.25, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.24, 4 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.99.

Normally no hand to play but it was the last hand in a nice winning session on a very tight table. No reason I know. But I did and so I got a very interesting last hand. And it shows, why you should not play low pocket pairs from any position. It will only cause you trouble.

Flop: ($2.83) 3:spade: , 8:heart: , 4:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG+2 checks, Hero bets $2, UTG+2 calls $2.00.

Contibet is ok here after the check I think. I have to keep the action at this point. Again the question normal 2/3 pot size or push directly. I most often tend to make a normal contibet but having only $1.41 left would mean an allin on the turn after no action from my opponent. Here I decided to make the nornmal 2/3 bet due to my small pair (and cursed myself being in this hand.)

Opponent could hold a middle pair 66 to 99 which would beat me. He could hold Ax, or 8x which would beat me. So in a case of a reraise I could fold and keep some stack. Yr. comments?

Turn: ($6.83) T:club: (2 players)
      UTG+2 checks, Hero bets $1.41 (All-In), UTG+2 calls $1.41.

In this case it's a push for me. No action of my opponent I have to keep the action. But again now there's the T, I could be beaten with the same hands I thought about on the Flop

River: ($9.65) Q:diamond:

Final Pot: $9.65
  • 8 replies
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      And it shows, why you should not play low pocket pairs from any position. It will only cause you trouble.

You can limp any pocket pair from LP and SB if there were at least 2 callers before you. You should also raise 77-88 from LP according to SHC.
      You shouldn`t play it from MP, here you are right.

FLOP is ok. It is a border between normal cbet and push. But if you were going to push on turn, than 2/3 betting on flop is a mistake, at least a weaker play than pushing... Meaning that its better for you to decide beforehand, though it might be difficult.
    • Utahmar
      Utahmar
      Bronze
      Dont raise with 55 from there, MP3.
      Lets say you had 77 from late, and you raised, than as Xylere saying push flop than.
    • AndreMG
      AndreMG
      Bronze
      Nice post Xylere, I was just about to ask if I could call small pocket pairs in LP/Blinds, as If I hit my set I will probably be ahead and extract maximum value.

Of course I am talking about limping with 2+ players. Or a minirasie with more players too.

By the way ? what about high suited connectors? Can I limp in LP with some players as well?
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AndreMG
      By the way ? what about high suited connectors? Can I limp in LP with some players as well?
      Mathematically you can, but it might be tough to handle postflop... therefore, I don`t recommend doing it. But if you are very interested, I can email you some information about this play, for educationnal purposes :D
    • AndreMG
      AndreMG
      Bronze
      Please, do it Xylere. I would aprecciate.

By the way any "extra" SSS material would be welcome.

Don´t be worry on the effect of this in my game, I won´t start playing them in a flash. I will little by little adding this hands as I fell safe about playing them.

email : andrecgb@hotmail.com
    • Gremlin68
      Gremlin68
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AndreMG
      Please, do it Xylere. I would aprecciate.

By the way any "extra" SSS material would be welcome.

Don´t be worry on the effect of this in my game, I won´t start playing them in a flash. I will little by little adding this hands as I fell safe about playing them.

email : andrecgb@hotmail.com
      Thanks first xylere for yr evaluating this hand. And for the info that limping with small pocket pairs on late pos against two limpers before is possible. I've been teached that before but as andre said I will build it in my play step after step even if I let situations out where it would win. at the mom I'm somewhere between "beginner SSS" and "advanced SSS". and "advanced SSS" there are no articles as far as i know. so I use yr (your all) advises for my hands to improve my game. and it works. thx again.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      you are welcome)
      I am sure you know it, but just to keep myself from beeing fired, I would remind you that you shouldn`t play your hand further, unless you`ve hit a set :D
    • Gremlin68
      Gremlin68
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      you are welcome)
      I am sure you know it, but just to keep myself from beeing fired, I would remind you that you shouldn`t play your hand further, unless you`ve hit a set :D
      loool. too make you keep yr job@yrboss. I didn't loose money by following the advices of the coaches here or the hand evaluators, but I won some. If it changes I will let you know. :D . Joking here. Thanks for yr work xylere :)