Question on outs - discussed in article

• lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      Hey all,

If you go to example 2 in this article on odds and outs:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1563/3/

It says

"You do have a flush draw, but since it is weak, you can only count on 6-7 outs."

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what these outs would be. Would it be drawing to a pair or three of a kind?

Thanks all :)
  • 5 replies
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      You are still drawing for the flush. But since your cards are low, there could be someone who is drawing for higher flush (this is not very likely, but can happen sometimes)...that is why you discount your outs (in the end this means you need better pot odds to call).
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      As far as I remember, it discounts outs based on the weakness on your draw. So in actual fact you have 9 outs drawing to the flush, but because it is a weak flush you are drawing to it discounts a few outs in case Villain is holding a stronger draw to the flush.
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      So it's calculating your odds to the flush draw, but then compensating to how many times you think your opponent will have a better flush draw?
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lynius
      So it's calculating your odds to the flush draw, but then compensating to how many times you think your opponent will have a better flush draw?
      Yes, something like that.

GL at tables ;)
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      Thanks.

Though one other question.

If i had an open-ended straight draw, then on the flop, to compare against pot odds, should I calculate the odds of making the draw on the turn or both the river and turn?

In other words, should I calculate

8/47 + 8/46 or just: 8/47

Or transcripted:

8:39 + 8:37 or just: 8:39

So if I had 1:4 pot odds on an OESD (on the flop), would it be a good or bad call?