How do you guys do it?

• keithbrad
      keithbrad
      Bronze
      I've never experienced anything like the bad beat I've been dealing with for the last week or so. I've been playing at Partypoker (mainly NL25 cash games) for the past 8 months building my bankroll from 25 up to 800, things were going pretty good, obviously having some terrible days on the way and some big time suck outs. But this past week or so has seen my bankroll cut in half, AK losing to AQ all in with top pair on flop, AA losing to JJ all in preflop, KK losing to QQ all in preflop, losing several times with AK/AQ top pair getting it in on the flop only to have people calling with open ended straight draw/ gutshots and hitting on the river. Seems like I keep getting my money in good and keep getting punished for it, there has also been some misreads too, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I can kind of predict the responses I'm going to get but just wanted to know how you guys deal with bad beats like this? any experiences like this that can make me feel sain?

Also just feels good to rant about stuff like this...
  • 9 replies
    • graefe78
      graefe78
      Bronze
      Sorry to hear this. I personally just take a little break if I have a run with crap sticking to my cards...

Or doing stuff like playing on bottom limit tables with the SSS/BSS and stuff, where nothing can really go wrong. Or I read a good book, do lots of sports and stuff.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Use more conservative bankroll management. 800 is not enough for NL25 IMHO, unless you are tilt averse and emotionally neutral at all times, which you obviously aren't. It certainly sucks a lot to have your BR cut in a half, that's why I use conservative BRM :) I still constantly experience downswings like -25BI, but it's still not as punishing as having half of it gone. That's pretty much all the advice I could give, except all the psychological stuff.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      I reacted by going on tilt and losing everything. I'm not sure I ever really recovered because I've never moved back up the stakes. I was able to rebuild from scratch playing freerolls. I now have a bankroll of a little over $600 and I play NL2 fullring and $1 SNGs. Other than moving down to the lowest possible stakes I haven't changed much else. I play way less volume and way fewer tables now. I think it will be a long time for me to completely get a handle on it. Hope things go better for you. Just make sure you follow proper BRM.

Good luck
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Bliausmas
      Use more conservative bankroll management. 800 is not enough for NL25
      That's 32 BI! More than enough. But if you have lost half of your bankroll it means that you didn't move down a limit when you should have to.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dublimax
      That's 32 BI! More than enough. But if you have lost half of your bankroll it means that you didn't move down a limit when you should have to.
      $800 / 2 = $400

$400 @ 10NL = 40 buy-ins

By your own measurements he still has 2-3 more to lose at $25 and he'll still have "more than enough" for NL $10. :D
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dublimax
      Originally posted by Bliausmas
      Use more conservative bankroll management. 800 is not enough for NL25
      "Enough" is very subjective word ;) There is always a thing called comfort zone. For me personally having 32BI is very far from comfort zone. And if the guy loses half of his bankroll it's very possible that this is true for him also. You can effectively play in a particular limit with 32BI only if you are unaffectable too strong by losing.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      25BI can be plenty if you have a big enough edge. 50BI (or at least 40) is more appropriate for the average small winning player IMO.
      I have a huge edge at my level but I still use conservative BR management because it allows me to make moves and lose without concern. This way I learn without cost as I make more back with my 'normal' play anyway.
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      at stt's I use a 100 buy-in BRM wich means I need about 200 buy-ins before I can move up a limit.
      Maybe it is conservative but if you lose 10 buy-ins or even 50, there is no problem at all.
      50 buy-in downswing can happen easily. And I think in cash this is no different!
    • Andyuk18
      Andyuk18
      Bronze
      I find the only way to deal with these beats is to take a break. In the long run your edge over the competition will show.

Today I've had my premium pairs cracked 12 times in under 2k hands amongst other horrible beats, definitely the worst i have run since playing poker. :(

I'm only grinding NL2 games so I can expect my AA/KK/QQ to be cracked with rubbish like 69o from time to time, but 12 times in under 2k hands! Going to stop playing for today and most of tomorrow to make sure any tilt is gone, then get right back to it. Amazing i'm only down a couple of buy ins after this session! :)