[NL2-NL10] NL50 : Top two pair slowplay decision

• SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      Hero:
      $177.15
      MP2:
      $24
      SB:
      $109.78
      UTG+2:
      $55.07
      CO:
      $49.25
      MP3:
      $12.28
      BB:
      $22.57
      MP1:
      $10.37

0.25/0.50 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:heart: , Q:club:
      UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, CO folds, Hero raises to $3.50, 3 folds, MP2 calls $3.00, MP3 calls $3.00.

Flop: ($11.75) Q:diamond: , 5:club: , A:diamond: (3 players)
      MP2 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Ok, I decided to slowplay this hand and this is the part I'd like have reviewed... I got top 2 pair on a drawy board. But then a thought occured ... I raised preflop and there actually isn't a flush draw that could have called me out of position. The best possible flush draw to be left in the hand is K J, but I kinda ruled it out from preflop play.
        A straight draw seemed unlikely as well as no JT, KT or KJ should have ever called me preflop.

Turn: ($11.75) K:diamond: (3 players)
      MP2 bets $1, MP3 raises to $2.00, Hero raises to $11.00, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $8.78 (All-In).

Alright, action. The K of diamonds.
        What beats me here and what hand ranges are possible.
        If someone made a set of 8, I'm willing to pay them off with top two pair, it's just unfortenate.
        Someone might have a flush, but it can only be J high ... what J high suited hand could call a raise OOP ? None, not even J T
        For the same reason, I don't see a JT here.
        An AA, KK, QQ or AK would probably have reraised me preflop.

So I raise close to pot to protect against a one card flush draw like jacks or tens with 1 diamond...

River: ($32.53) 6:spade:

Final Pot: $32.53

Well thought through ?
      It's a draw heavy flop, but on the other hand, it shouldn't be.
  • 4 replies
    • degnic
      degnic
      Bronze
      You really can't rule out a flushdraw/straightdraw on flop because you don't think someone would call 2 diamonds preflop OOP (no offense, but do you really think that players with something like 40+vpip think this kind of things? :) ). Also you have top2 pair so you want to start building up a pot early. I don't really get what is your intention with check behind on flop? Hope to see a 3rd :diamond: on turn and simply trust that if someone goes all-in he must have just one :diamond: against which you are ahead?

I would bet ~9$ on flop and if someone calls, then put them all-in on turn because both are lowstacks.
    • mchaggis
      mchaggis
      Bronze
      bet flop big

if you don't get payed you will only get payed later if beat.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Alright ... I guess I overthought the situation :D
    • Thorsten77
      Thorsten77
      Black
      Bet PS flop. Don't slowplay on drawy boards. Further, on such a board slowplaying typically does not create future action if your opponent don't outdraw on you. If they get a Pair with JT for example, they won't bet...
      As played, the K really sucks. Given the weak bets I still shove, but I think the flop decision is the major mistake in this hand.