Newbie recommendation

• Equox
      Equox
      Bronze
      Hey Pokerstrategy.

Now that I have almost read all the strategy articles available for me at my current level, I would like to ask you more experienced players.

I've been playing poker for a year or two - but with no strategic involvement, but games with my friends - most of the times being drunk, however I have now decided to step up my game, and maybe in the long run try to make a noticeable profit from it - but time will tell.

However my question for you are - how would YOU start playing poker?

Following the big or short stack strategy, or simply playing SnG's and MTTs?

So far I've played SSS the last week or so, and all in all I think I've lost 50c-1dollar in total.

But is the SSS really what you should play, or is there anything better to roll at starts?

Best regards, Equox.
  • 4 replies
    • Equox
      Equox
      Bronze
      I found the answer myself :)
    • Ezhuks
      Ezhuks
      Bronze
      Well, tell us about it, I'm pretty sure others will find it valuable as well. :s_cool:
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey,

At the beginning SSS might be a nice start, as you can't make big mistakes there. However a lot of rooms changed their minimum buy in amount, so that it will be quite difficult do find tables to play. That's the reason why we also developed a big stack strategy for beginners.

If you are more the sng / tournament player, then you should start with SNGs instead of MTTs. The variance in MTT is much higher, so you will need a bigger bankroll and it will be quite frustrating not cashing for a long time.

Best regards,
      Hannes
    • Equox
      Equox
      Bronze
      Well as I am starting from the bottom, wanting to emerge from the basics, I read that SSS would be the smartest for newbies, as BSS would had a more difficult variant and the opportunity of a bigger loss (and win of course), however I'd prefer actually creating a bankroll before jumping to BSS.

What I got out of it at least :)

And yeah - I might blend in an occasional freeroll MTT or a 0.5-1 dollar SnG :)