[NL2-NL10] NL10 88 flopped set on Q high board.

• Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      No idea how he gets away so cheaply here. It's almost like he can see my cards. The board doesnt get overly scary on the turn, and he has the initiative so I'm hoping that he'll continue the turn. Its unlikey I've floated him with a gutshot in this spot so I'm surprised to see the turn check.

Is his play optimal? and how often should I donk into him on the turn? Or maybe I should raise the flop and make my hand look like Qx/set/bluff? Obviously that line only gets action from an overpair or AQ.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $10.29
      MP2:
      $3.06
      BU:
      $14.33

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8:heart: , 8:club:
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, 2 folds, BU raises to $0.40, Hero calls $0.35, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1.30) Q:spade: , 8:diamond: , 5:club: (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks, BU bets $0.5, Hero calls $0.50, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($2.30) 9:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

River: ($2.30) 5:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.4, BU calls $1.40.

Final Pot: $5.10

Results follow (highlight to see):
      BU shows (Kd Kc)
      Hero shows a full-house, eights full of fives (8h 8c)

Hero wins with a full-house, eights full of fives (8h 8c)
  • 4 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Meemawuk,

For the reason that I want to build up the pot and see his CBet being pretty strong into multiway pot on flop I'd just Check/Raise there. Otherwise I'd donk the turn myself to not to see that kind of situation what just happened. Otherwise you may even bet a bit bigger on river, ~$1,70.

Best regards.
    • Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      I initially thought to bet a lot closer to pot on the river, but I honestly thought his turn check was super weak so I decided to bet smaller hoping to get called by some kind of pair like TT/JJ or weak Qx. I'll definitely try check-raising these flops more often. I find that I'm not getting enough value from flopped sets and this might boost that. I think he's probably getting it in on the flop If I raise him.
    • Oly0909
      Oly0909
      Silver
      I would check/call flop if his bet was ~$1.00, but the reason we have to c/r flop in this spot is because his bet is so small and we want to get it in by the river.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Oly0909
      I would check/call flop if his bet was ~$1.00, but the reason we have to c/r flop in this spot is because his bet is so small and we want to get it in by the river.
      Yep, that's also the case, why we also have to raise there. Just for the reason that he is betting that smallish and we would get his whole stack and we are OOP. Hard to extract value while being OOP.