really need help with 6 max!!

    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Joined: 31.12.2010 Posts: 4,289
      Hello everyone
      I play a lot of 6 max sng's I am finding I make it to the bubble 80% of the time and i'm just not placing enough!!! I have worked the icm play thing but think I need to tighten the hands up a bit can anyone please advise !!! :P
  • 6 replies
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.08.2010 Posts: 669
      from what I gather 6 max sngs, especially turbos, are quite high in variance. Combine that with the fact that you need a different strategy and the fact that they're harder to multitable and you might find you're not best suited to play them

      I started off with 6 max as well, mostly 6 tabling turbos for SP and clearing 1st deposit bonus at william hill. Then I decided to play mixed sets(2 turbo 6 max, 1 reg 6 max, 2 reg 10 max, 1 turbo 10 max) and I found out I'm better off suited to playing 10 max. I was playing WAYYY too tight on 6 max and not winning enough headsup(which really is what you wanna be doing when in the money.

      From what I gather the basic strategy in 6 max is to try and chip up and then go into Push fold phase, past the bubble and try and go for the win. Try and get a bigger sample size - obviously set yourself a stop loss limit so you dont get tilted/lose your whole BR

      For myself, full ring seem easier - after all I have watched a lot of video content on 10 max here so I guess I've grasped the concept better there

      hope this helps :spade:
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Joined: 31.12.2010 Posts: 4,289
      Originally posted by martoman2k10
      from what I gather 6 max sngs, especially turbos, are quite high in variance. Combine that with the fact that you need a different strategy and the fact that they're harder to multitable and you might find you're not best suited to play them

      I started off with 6 max as well, mostly 6 tabling turbos for SP and clearing 1st deposit bonus at william hill. Then I decided to play mixed sets(2 turbo 6 max, 1 reg 6 max, 2 reg 10 max, 1 turbo 10 max) and I found out I'm better off suited to playing 10 max. I was playing WAYYY too tight on 6 max and not winning enough headsup(which really is what you wanna be doing when in the money.

      From what I gather the basic strategy in 6 max is to try and chip up and then go into Push fold phase, past the bubble and try and go for the win. Try and get a bigger sample size - obviously set yourself a stop loss limit so you dont get tilted/lose your whole BR

      For myself, full ring seem easier - after all I have watched a lot of video content on 10 max here so I guess I've grasped the concept better there

      hope this helps :spade:
      Hi thanks for this I have been thinking maybe I should move up to bigger tables!!!! although I have played about 300 micro 6 max and im almost break even!!!
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.06.2010 Posts: 1,151
      Is there any form of poker people don't say is high variance? The mathematical variance per tournament is about the same as for 9-max tournaments. It is a little lower with a 65-35 structure, and a little higher with a 70-30 structure. The downswings you see depend on both the mathematical variance and your edge. Some people have large edges, and some don't, and if you are close to break-even you will see very large downswings.

      After 300 tournaments, a rough 95% confidence interval for your true ROI is your observed ROI +- 17%.

      The risk aversion on the bubble of a 6-max SNG is generally lower than on the bubble of a 9-max SNG. There is more room to induce action or to bet for value on the bubble. However, the risk-aversion is still significant.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Joined: 31.12.2010 Posts: 4,289
      Originally posted by pzhon


      After 300 tournaments, a rough 95% confidence interval for your true ROI is your observed ROI +- 17%.

      The risk aversion on the bubble of a 6-max SNG is generally lower than on the bubble of a 9-max SNG. There is more room to induce action or to bet for value on the bubble. However, the risk-aversion is still significant.
      Thanks for this post pzhon :P

      i'm not sure what a confidence interval means though? Also if my Roi is between +- 17 are you saying thats not too bad for such a small amount of games?

      Sorry about this but also when you say risk aversion is lower on the bubble for 6 max games what does this mean??

      Roo :P
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      Joined: 26.05.2007 Posts: 7,641
      He means there's a 95% chance your true ROI is observed ROI plus or minus 17%, i.e. if you have a 5% observed ROI, your true ROI is likely something between -12% and 22%.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Joined: 31.12.2010 Posts: 4,289
      Originally posted by LgWz
      He means there's a 95% chance your true ROI is observed ROI plus or minus 17%, i.e. if you have a 5% observed ROI, your true ROI is likely something between -12% and 22%.
      Thanks!! :P