This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

really need help with 6 max!!

• roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Hello everyone
      I play a lot of 6 max sng's I am finding I make it to the bubble 80% of the time and i'm just not placing enough!!! I have worked the icm play thing but think I need to tighten the hands up a bit can anyone please advise !!! :P
  • 6 replies
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      from what I gather 6 max sngs, especially turbos, are quite high in variance. Combine that with the fact that you need a different strategy and the fact that they're harder to multitable and you might find you're not best suited to play them

I started off with 6 max as well, mostly 6 tabling turbos for SP and clearing 1st deposit bonus at william hill. Then I decided to play mixed sets(2 turbo 6 max, 1 reg 6 max, 2 reg 10 max, 1 turbo 10 max) and I found out I'm better off suited to playing 10 max. I was playing WAYYY too tight on 6 max and not winning enough headsup(which really is what you wanna be doing when in the money.

From what I gather the basic strategy in 6 max is to try and chip up and then go into Push fold phase, past the bubble and try and go for the win. Try and get a bigger sample size - obviously set yourself a stop loss limit so you dont get tilted/lose your whole BR

For myself, full ring seem easier - after all I have watched a lot of video content on 10 max here so I guess I've grasped the concept better there

hope this helps :spade:
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by martoman2k10
      from what I gather 6 max sngs, especially turbos, are quite high in variance. Combine that with the fact that you need a different strategy and the fact that they're harder to multitable and you might find you're not best suited to play them

I started off with 6 max as well, mostly 6 tabling turbos for SP and clearing 1st deposit bonus at william hill. Then I decided to play mixed sets(2 turbo 6 max, 1 reg 6 max, 2 reg 10 max, 1 turbo 10 max) and I found out I'm better off suited to playing 10 max. I was playing WAYYY too tight on 6 max and not winning enough headsup(which really is what you wanna be doing when in the money.

From what I gather the basic strategy in 6 max is to try and chip up and then go into Push fold phase, past the bubble and try and go for the win. Try and get a bigger sample size - obviously set yourself a stop loss limit so you dont get tilted/lose your whole BR

For myself, full ring seem easier - after all I have watched a lot of video content on 10 max here so I guess I've grasped the concept better there

hope this helps :spade:
      Hi thanks for this I have been thinking maybe I should move up to bigger tables!!!! although I have played about 300 micro 6 max and im almost break even!!!
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Is there any form of poker people don't say is high variance? The mathematical variance per tournament is about the same as for 9-max tournaments. It is a little lower with a 65-35 structure, and a little higher with a 70-30 structure. The downswings you see depend on both the mathematical variance and your edge. Some people have large edges, and some don't, and if you are close to break-even you will see very large downswings.

After 300 tournaments, a rough 95% confidence interval for your true ROI is your observed ROI +- 17%.

The risk aversion on the bubble of a 6-max SNG is generally lower than on the bubble of a 9-max SNG. There is more room to induce action or to bet for value on the bubble. However, the risk-aversion is still significant.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pzhon

After 300 tournaments, a rough 95% confidence interval for your true ROI is your observed ROI +- 17%.

The risk aversion on the bubble of a 6-max SNG is generally lower than on the bubble of a 9-max SNG. There is more room to induce action or to bet for value on the bubble. However, the risk-aversion is still significant.
      Thanks for this post pzhon :P

i'm not sure what a confidence interval means though? Also if my Roi is between +- 17 are you saying thats not too bad for such a small amount of games?

Sorry about this but also when you say risk aversion is lower on the bubble for 6 max games what does this mean??

Roo :P
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      He means there's a 95% chance your true ROI is observed ROI plus or minus 17%, i.e. if you have a 5% observed ROI, your true ROI is likely something between -12% and 22%.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LgWz
      He means there's a 95% chance your true ROI is observed ROI plus or minus 17%, i.e. if you have a 5% observed ROI, your true ROI is likely something between -12% and 22%.
      Thanks!! :P