quitting poker

• conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      as topic, Ive decided after much back and forth thought on the matter that its better for me to just quit poker.

Ive done reasonably well until now, but considering the time invested, it doesn't seem to be worthwhile, and I see myself getting a better ROI spending time on other stuff.

I was looking for a HUNL coaching deal, but haven't found one to my liking.
      Ive done self study, but I feel my game is still too leaky, and i'm not making progress.

I'l probably still pop in now and again, and who knows maybe i'l take another stab.

I'l be finishing up by playing the iCOP events on IPN. after that, who knows.

later folks; its been fun ^^
  • 28 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey, quitting poker would be a huge shame. If you are interested in some HU coaching I can provide a CV/References and do first session for free if you're not 100% happy then no need for a 2nd (paid) session. HU brings the fun back to poker.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      send me the info via the community system.

il look at it in a few days. not in the frame of mind to say yes or no right now.

quitting poker isn't a real shame tbh. the real shame is having played it for almost 2 years and still not having reached 200NL
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by conall88

quitting poker isn't a real shame tbh. the real shame is having played it for almost 2 years and still not having reached 200NL
      If it's a shame you've not hit nl200 yet and you know your game is leaky why don't you just work to sort it out? Your ROI once hitting nl200 with a high win rate would be much bigger than going to get a job I suspect. Nobody makes decent money playing poker without a serious level of commitment so why don't you just say you don't want to put the work in rather than making it sound like you have no choice? How much volume have you put in over the last two years and what limit do you play? Seems a bit drastic giving up on something you've put so much time in to?
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      See you in a week
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      See you in a week
      This.
    • Huseens
      Huseens
      Bronze
      None can quit poker. Even I tried it few times.
    • breena
      breena
      Bronze
      I cant see anyone giving up. All us on this site are hooked. Even the fish that are stuck 20k are still playing cause they just looooooooveeee it!!!!! :f_p:
    • breena
      breena
      Bronze
      [img][IMG]https://img806.imageshack.us/img806/6140/gamblingaddictdefined.jpg[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      I thought you where doing well at NL50HU? Downswing time? If so there brutal in HU so chin up.
    • KingKarlito
      KingKarlito
      Global
      How about something differnt like 6 max PLO?

I think the swings are on a level with HU NLHE but with 6 players at the table there is more money out there to win
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      nah no major downswing or anything.

Im just thinking longterm, how silly is it focusing on Poker instead of getting qualifications etc.

right now I have no outlook, and I don't see poker improving things much.

if improving to 200NL was so easy I woulda done it by now.

I have yet to have serious coaching, so I will give it a chance if I think the opportunity is cost effective.

typing see you in a week isnt very smart. i said i was playing icop #1 on feb 14th. congratulations smart asses :f_biggrin:

@breena personality wise Im not addictive by nature.
      I don't smoke, I don't drink [ well ok 3-4 beers a year!]
      I like pc games, but can go 2-3 months without playing one.
      etc
      poker wise ive gone 6 months without playing without giving a damn. its not hard when your bro gives you bad beat stories at 400NL 6max :D

either way I need a break. a long one.
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      looks like your thinking too much about the money involved and by the looks of things quitting is probably the right thing to do for you..

Poker is only worth your time if you have fun with it and get some $$ along the way.. Probably the worst profession ever if you don't love the game with all your heart =)

just play some mtt's here and there when you have time and want to have some fun.. Maybe you'll get the motivation back to go crush nl200 hu and beyond :)

btw to get great at poker I think you need to be addictive by nature =)
      And you need to be more focused on success than money (Wanting to proof you can beat the game.. rather than winning some $$$ )
      And you have to be sickly motivated to not want to spend your time on anything but poker :)
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      If the question of whether or not one should play poker should depend on if one could get to NL200 in a certain amount of time, I should have stopped a long time ago. I just play for fun though. I don't rely on income from poker (like I have any :D ). I love the game and play it because I enjoy it.

On the other hand if you play with the one objective to move up and make money, then fine. You can quit. Remember quitters never win.

• conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      @Hlynn,

the money doesnt mean much to me. I consider moving up in stakes a sign of success. All I use poker winnings for is for buying random crap online.

I still enjoy poker, but I don't see it as something i'l ever consider as a job. I just aren't good enough as it stands, and believe that if you haven't achieved that level of skill within 2 years, its not very likely to happen at all!
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      ok so I think ive won about 13k gross and about 9k net profit in poker.

lets say I play it 14hrs a week, which is pretty close.

14x4= 56hrs month
      x12 = 672 hrs year

lets say I do this for 2 years, but miss a few days so il consider I play 85% of this figure, which is:

571.1hrs

now i'l divide 9k/571.1 = $15/hr, but wait we need to add the 2nd year, so we actually end up with $7.50/hr

this is pretty close to minimum wage in my country...

difference is standard jobs always have action. low risk of ruin and low variance too :f_biggrin:
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      anyway what I'm trying to say is, poker should never get in the way of achieving something in your life, and I think its getting in my way.

the money I'm winning isn't life changing, and isn't doing much to further other goals.

If I were to grind japanese for a year i'm pretty sure I could get fluent spending 571hrs a year for 2 years.

this could net me jobs in translation and also teaching english as a 2nd language in japan, which would be really interesting to me. I think this might be better :)
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      stop thinknig about the money and the ROI. some people build model trains as a hobby, some sail boats and some go fishing. assuming you are not a huge losing player and the game is not effecting your life in negative ways, poker is a cheap (profitable) hobby that challenges the mind. Quitting a hobby you love just becuase its not making you rich is just wrong
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Tbh I just think you have balance issues.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      yeah, and you are coplaining that you don't earn enough money with this? there are hobbies where you loose huge sums of money, for example racing :) and people still have those hobbies :)