This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Obvious Math

• Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      I was thinking today, and actually over the past couple of days where I've been putting in decent volume often only to break even or win 50BB or lose 20BB a session. I seldom manage to actually get my whole stack in the middle and when I do there are always at least 1 or often 2 spots in a session around 1000 hands where I get sucked out on for a stack. Todays examples:

1. I get it all in on the turn with KK on a J high board vs QQ and he 2 outers me for a stack. So Not only do I not win $9, I lose $10 effectively putting me very close to 2BI below EV? (obviously not exactly 2BI below EV since QQ will beat KK in that spot 5% of the time)

2. I get it all in with Kings again on a 9 high flop and he has 94o and rivers the 4 for 2pair. This time only for half a stack.

So these things are pretty standard and I accept they are part of the game, and I play on, not tilty just playing my A-game, and finish down 30BB for 1000 hands.

So I managed to grind back to almost even from 2 hands where I got it in good, and lost.

In summary, instead of being +$27, I'm -$3. Thats a $30/3BI swing that would be a nice boost to my BR since I'm currently taking a shot at NL10. My gripe is that I never see these +3BI sessions. I'm not complaining that I never run good, I'm complaining that I can't seem to avoid running bad long enough to book a decent winning session.

Just felt the need to post this somewhere. I'm currently working on fixing other aspects of my game, eliminating leaks etc that should mean that until I hit that upswing, I won't lose much.
  • 3 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      1 session is completely nothing because there is no much variance involved. As soon as one can accept that ''EV'' is only applicable long term (That is like >50k or even >100k hands) , you can beat the games.

Oh and I think looking at how much you are up or down in $ after every session is really mediocre for your improvement because you reward making money while you can play horribly for example.

- Gerv
    • Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      Thanks. Solid advice here Gerv. Thats obviously why you're paid all that money......... phallus.

This thread was more of a rant than anything else. It's great to see that the coaches motivate people to keep posting and improve their game.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      If it is something with numbers, I'm always lurking to see if I can learn some new tricks or join the discussion :)

Good luck on the tables!