Made hand, but 4th flush rivercard.

• SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      I guess we all had this situation before.
      We have a decent hand, like a set, double pair or overpair/TPTK, but then that nasty 4th suited card comes at the river ... what do you mostly do ?

Personally, if I bet pot on the turn out of position and it's been called, I tend to blockbet and call a minraise OR bet 66 %/fold.
      In position, I usually call a bet less than 1/2 pot at the river with a made hand...
      Of course, this only goes for heads up on the flop or perhaps a threeway pot when everything "feels" ok.

The odds of them having that card is less than 1/2 anyway, so I guess it's semi-bluffable or callable if getting the right odds.

What do you tend to do ?
  • 4 replies
    • Philipvw
      Philipvw
      Bronze
      OOP I make a descent bet that doesn't look weak, I wouldn't call a raise.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I would probably:
      - check/call with my set and two pair (if he bets less than half the pot)
      - check/fold with tptk.

I have to bet more than half the pot, unless my river bet looks small and could induce bluff raise. I can´t bet/call because I´m mostly behind. This way I give him chance to bluff with weaker hands, also depends on the board. If I was sure that he drawed to flush, no point calling then with my set.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      gotta be careful not to fall into calling station mode.

mostly my play in these situations will depend purely on opponent's betting patterns (or calling patterns as is usual with those dreaded monochrome boards), and any fledgling of a read on the opponent (be it from a sample size of 5-10 hands).

otherwise, i'll bet a nice small amount OOP (sometimes with air): ie an amount that makes it look like i'm trying to donk-feed a pot (i'm talking about 40-50% here), and fold to significant strength. against solid players with a decent hand (like a set or two pair) i'll make a check/raise. usually i fold to the reraise.

you have to remember that a 4-suited board is bloody scary for you if you don't have the flush, but against a braincelled villain, it's could well be very scary for him!
    • eclipse10
      eclipse10
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      gotta be careful not to fall into calling station mode.

mostly my play in these situations will depend purely on opponent's betting patterns (or calling patterns as is usual with those dreaded monochrome boards), and any fledgling of a read on the opponent (be it from a sample size of 5-10 hands).

otherwise, i'll bet a nice small amount OOP (sometimes with air): ie an amount that makes it look like i'm trying to donk-feed a pot (i'm talking about 40-50% here), and fold to significant strength. against solid players with a decent hand (like a set or two pair) i'll make a check/raise. usually i fold to the reraise.
      you have to remember that a 4-suited board is bloody scary for you if you don't have the flush, but against a braincelled villain, it's could well be very scary for him!
      i dont like the checkraise here.

when you checkraise, you are committing more chips than a bet or a check/ call
      further more, while it will work a small % of the time, against donky calling station opponents at the small stakes, you will be getting called by any medium sized 1 card flushes and better. after you checkraise, villain can either fold, call or raise. If he raises you are certainly dead and if he is rarely calling a c/r when he is behind you. so the only time a c/r works is when they fold, which will be a tiny amount of the time, unless you have a speciifc read that villain loves to bluff ALOT. even then, maths says he will have it pretty often .

i think the best options are usually : blocking bet/ fold

OR a check / call to induce bluffs. obv i tend to fold to > half pot bets, but when checked to, villain will usually bluff smaller on a 4 flush and also Vbet samller on a 4 flush.

i think the check call is much better as well if you have a read on villain that he lieks to bluff too.

edit. i know you speciified solid players, and a c/r here will work better against GOOD players but how many good players are there below like nl200?